Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM

191 posts, read 171,974 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of variables involved on figuring heating and cooling costs. Natural gas wasn't even mentioned and yet most homes will be heated with gas in Phoenix and Tucson. After the gas variable the age of the home and type of construction will have a lot to do with cost. Some of the newer homes were built with a lot of insulation. The older masonry homes have less than an r-2 value in the walls and maybe 6 inches of ceiling insulation if you are lucky. Finally a 1999 home built with a heat pump with a SEER-9 rating will probably cost more to heat and cool than a newer home with a 16-Seer heat pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have not had the heat on for more than 10 minutes since December. (that 10 minutes was one morning when I woke up to 54 degrees in the house). Place stays at a constant 63-69 degrees and it feels fine. And I still sleep with a fan blowing on me!

In the summer I usually leave the temp at 84 during the day when I am gone, 78-80 when I am home.
Wow you have a pretty wide tolerance...how can both 63-69 and 78-80 be ok?

We keep the AC at 76-77 during the summer and the heat at 75-76 during the winter. I mean it makes sense, doesn't it? But we don't make any other adjustments...same bed cover in the winter and summer, same pjs...or lack thereof.

Speaking of which...the AC just turned on! It's set at 77 in the home office and it got up to 78, so it turned on.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Wow you have a pretty wide tolerance...how can both 63-69 and 78-80 be ok?

We keep the AC at 76-77 during the summer and the heat at 75-76 during the winter. I mean it makes sense, doesn't it? But we don't make any other adjustments...same bed cover in the winter and summer, same pjs...or lack thereof.

Speaking of which...the AC just turned on! It's set at 77 in the home office and it got up to 78, so it turned on.

I just go by how it feels. Even though it SAYS it is 65 in then house, it feels okay! I just wear slippers and fleece PJ pants and a robe in the evenings if I get cold.

In the summer I'm just too cheap to run the AC much, and 80 feels cool compared to 110 outside

Back in the Midwest I could tolerate quite a bit of heat and humidity before turning on the AC, to the point that I put up with the carpet feeling soggy and anything made of paper feeling limp and wet. I'd let the temp get to the low 80s inside then before turning on the AC. The winters there I would try to keep the heat at 68, again, too cheap to run the (gas) furnace. I'd just bundle up and snuggle with my dogs/cats to stay warm.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
There are a lot of variables involved on figuring heating and cooling costs. Natural gas wasn't even mentioned and yet most homes will be heated with gas in Phoenix and Tucson. After the gas variable the age of the home and type of construction will have a lot to do with cost. Some of the newer homes were built with a lot of insulation. The older masonry homes have less than an r-2 value in the walls and maybe 6 inches of ceiling insulation if you are lucky. Finally a 1999 home built with a heat pump with a SEER-9 rating will probably cost more to heat and cool than a newer home with a 16-Seer heat pump.
True enough, but if someone looking at a 3br of the size OP is considering budgets $200 per month, that is a pretty reasonable ball park figure to work with. My rule of thumb is monthly average cost will be equal to 1/10 the square feet in dollars, of course. So 1800 sf will be around $180. As others have said, summers could be double and winters could be half. You can get a budget plan that makes the payments the same year round, but you have to have history before they will offer that.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Older homes will usually have higher utility costs because the insulation isn't as good and there are repair issues like cracking that allow inside air to escape.

Unless the older home has been remodeled and retrofitted with a modern energy efficient system.

Newer homes have to adhere to current building codes and are much more energy efficient.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:09 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You won't keep it at 68-70, trust me.
Agreed, most people keep it closer to 80!

OP if you keep it at 68, it'll be like burning money - you may as well just throw it in a fire.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:15 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I'm in APS my year around avg is $250 have 1 ac, pool, and hot tub everything is electric no gas. Summer rates go up to $380 winter drops below $200 depends on how cold this year hardly used my heat maybe a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area