Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Yet another thread about the weather...

A flood watch and a flood warning are two separate things. A flood watch indicates a potential for flooding with the amount of rain forecast. A flood warning indicates the flooding is imminent or already occurring. In any case, it will not flood and life will go on here in the Valley as usual.

I think the media is just capitalizing on the September 8th event and wanting everyone to get hyped up about this. So far, it's working. I had the checkout lady in the store scold me for not having my rain gear on. I reminded her that the rain is supposed to start on Monday. It would be a little silly to start dressing for rain two days early...
You are correct on the definition of a watch vs warning. However, as we discovered this past summer when many homes/areas were flooded throughout the valley, I-10 was a mini-lake in one section etc, I think such information might be useful to some in more flood prone areas as simply a "heads up" on the possibility, even though it's a "watch" at this point. As the watch states:

http://www.weather.com/weather/alert...001&tid=709980

"PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLOOD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING BASED ON CURRENT FORECASTS.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE ALERT FOR POSSIBLE FLOOD WARNINGS. THOSE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING SHOULD BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLOODING DEVELOP."

This statement is not from the media, but the weather service/from meteorologist's on their best estimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 11:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,081,929 times
So, when is it going to start raining, huh???

Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,956,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
It started yesterday.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Fizzzzzle! Pfffft! There was two inches on the rim just north of Payson yesterday, but with each forecast it gets to be less and further to the NW where it does nothing for us or our water situation. It looks like another one of these over-hyped storms that only rains for a short while when the front finally goes through. Oh, well. Maybe next year.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Fizzzzzle! Pfffft! There was two inches on the rim just north of Payson yesterday, but with each forecast it gets to be less and further to the NW where it does nothing for us or our water situation. It looks like another one of these over-hyped storms that only rains for a short while when the front finally goes through. Oh, well. Maybe next year.
You were saying...

Got 0.23" so far today and it looks like it's just starting from the radar maps (plus 0.19" additional over the weekend).

Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,978,180 times
It is coming down in buckets in central Phoenix. Just a few small areas are getting flooding, just in minor amounts. Live radar showing lots of red in areas NW of the Valley, and north of Fountain Hills.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 AM

Yep...looks like lots more is coming. It's moving in a NNE direction, putting it right on track to cover all of Metro Phoenix.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You were saying...

Got 0.23" so far today and it looks like it's just starting from the radar maps (plus 0.19" additional over the weekend).
It's overhyped. Initial forecasts were for between 1.5-3 inches of rain. That's not going to happen.

Also, I'm not sure it's the best idea to take pictures while driving, especially when the roads are wet.....

Old 03-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
It's overhyped. Initial forecasts were for between 1.5-3 inches of rain. That's not going to happen.
Was it that high? I remember reading between 0.5" - 1" of rain from the storm. The 1.5-3 was for higher elevations above Phoenix I thought.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure it's the best idea to take pictures while driving, especially when the roads are wet.....
I survived.

It was a straight road, still was watching the road (and not through the phone) and holding the steering wheel with one hand.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You were saying...

I still am saying... It is a complete bust from all the hype and hoopla about it over the past couple days. It is just what I said it would be: a little rain when the front goes through and then clearing and goodbye. Most areas will be lucky to see 1/2 inch.

The big runup followed by a winding down and then utter disappointment with what really happens is getting to be a frequent pattern with the weather forecasts. The need to get some "dry forecasters" back on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area