Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 AM

48 posts, read 82,192 times

Advertisements

Hello-I am considering purchasing a home in the gated community of Terravita in North Scottsdale (Cave Creek?) and would like some information, if possible, about the demographics of the place. I am retiring from Chicago and consider myself middle-class and while I can afford to purchase in this community, I would be at the low end of the market in there. I am a little concerned that it may seem too affluent for me. I also wonder how much of the community is of retirement age. I, too, have considered Trilogy at Vistancia in Peoria and while I believe I would fit in there from an economic standpoint, would prefer the location of Terravita since my children live closer to there. I hope my question does not sound odd (probably does) but hoped I might be able to get some feedback from the Scottsdale community. This might have been a question I could have asked my realtor several years ago, but now it is illegal for them to discuss this type of thing. Thank you, in advance, anyone that may be able to help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I have the impression that a number of homes there are second homes that are not occupied all the time, and that it's popular with older residents, including the retired and semi- retired. That may indicate affluence, but if many of those people are not at home 50 percent of the time, they would have little to do with your daily life. If you like the house, and like the area, I don't see a problem. I guess I'm not understanding fully what you mean by "seem too affluent for me".

Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I have the impression that a number of homes there are second homes that are not occupied all the time, and that it's popular with older residents, including the retired and semi- retired. That may indicate affluence, but if many of those people are not at home 50 percent of the time, they would have little to do with your daily life. If you like the house, and like the area, I don't see a problem. I guess I'm not understanding fully what you mean by "seem too affluent for me".
That is correct, it is not age restricted as far as I know but it is mainly retirees in that community and it is empty a majority of the Summer. I spent a great deal of time there when I dated a girl who's parents owned a vacation house in there, and they primarily came out in the winter (from Chicago too). I didn't feel it was over the top as far as being affluent

Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,429 times
Obviously Terravita is a much better location. It also isn't age-restricted so yes it is market to a wider range of types, and those types tend to be affluent. I don't like the idea of living in an age-restricted community, but to each their own.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
And, if your children are near Terravita, and that's important to you, that also makes it a better choice than Trilogy at Vistancia.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:01 AM

35 posts, read 36,406 times
I just moved here a month ago, and I'm right up the street from terravita off of Westland. Inoticed a ton of rentals pop up in there recently, snow birds I assume. I wasn't interested in scottsdale at first, liked the amenities but assumed it wasn't my style, we're low maintenance, we like to hang out, cruise, not into social, country clubs and all that. I absolutely love it here! It's nothing like one would assume. I feel completely comfortable in this area, people are awesome (lots of vitamin D!), no fancy purse and I don't own heels. Kids feel comfortable at school. People just work hard and play hard. This last week I've explored carefree and cave creek, it's beautiful and relaxing up here. There is a great ymca up the stree to. . Every time I run errands, pulling into lowes, I can't help but smile- beauty surrounds. Anyway- can i ask where in Chicago you lived? Spent a couple years there twice.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:06 PM

48 posts, read 82,192 times
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. Still a major decision to make but do appreciate your comments!

Old 02-04-2017, 04:56 PM

24 posts, read 27,410 times
Hi! We are thinking about purchasing at Terravita and are from Chicago (Western Burbs) too! I was just looking at VRBO to possibly rent there to see if we like it first. I read all the comments for the rental properties and people said they loved the neighborhood, location and they met a lot of people at the pool, and another said the neighbors were really friendly. I've also read on these forums that there are a lot of Midwesterner in the neighborhood too. We are looking for somewhere we will be comfortable also, and this sounds like the place!

Old 02-04-2017, 05:47 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,230 times
Trilogy also has a large percentage of snowbirds. There is a new Trilogy in northeast Scottsdale.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,301 times
Friends from Chicago just closed (or are closing soon) on a house in Terravita. They are semi-retired, not typical snowbirds as they still go back and forth fairly frequently. It's probably somewhat affluent in Terravita, but people don't seem to be very showy in a lot of the North Scottsdale, CC, and Carefree area, especially those who are in the 50+ range. Hope to be out that way soon (also from Chicago). We were outbid earlier in the year and have put a temporary hold on looking for the moment, even though there's a house in Carefree that I want to make an offer on right now.

Last edited by Paige65; 02-04-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area