Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 AM

87 posts, read 117,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Anthem or Sun City is going to be the same temp as Phoenix or Scottsdale. (maybe vary a degree or 2 as some areas of the metro do, is all)
Thanks ElleTea for responding to me! Due to other replies we are now looking into places in the Tucson area that are age restricted (40-55+).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 01:58 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my posting! After reading the posts we are now seriously looking at the Tucson area (a little further up in elevation) for an age restricted community. Never thought I would do that but they all sound interesting with interesting and friendly people.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisypups View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my posting! After reading the posts we are now seriously looking at the Tucson area (a little further up in elevation) for an age restricted community. Never thought I would do that but they all sound interesting with interesting and friendly people.
Tucson is not much better. The elevation in Tucson is only about 400 feet higher than it is in Anthem - a little more in the Oro Valley area north of Tucson and in the retirement havens to the south, like Green Valley. Have a look at Benson or Sierra Vista. They have some of the best weather in the state and it is popular with retirees.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:49 AM

Ponderosa, I think the Tucson area will be more to our liking now that I have had a chance to really check out some of the retirement communities like the Robson/SaddleBrooke sites. My husband is becoming more agreeable to this age restricted type of living so we're checking it out this July. Thanks for your comments.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM

19,469 posts, read 28,036,197 times
GeneR did a great thread about a variety of 55+ communities in the AZ area. Great information and he still shows up to answer questions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ity-visit.html

Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
GeneR did a great thread about a variety of 55+ communities in the AZ area. Great information and he still shows up to answer questions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ity-visit.html
Thank you JK! I should have all this forum reading done by July, right?

Old 04-18-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I 2nd Prescott, and Prescott Valley as perhaps an ideal location weather wise. If you want even cooler summers, Flagstaff/that area might be something you're interested in but the winter nights get cold. You can drive south near Tucson to a place called Oro Valley which is a bit cooler than the Phoenix valley. It's all a game of elevation in AZ and you can pretty much find your ideal weather using this factor. Just a suggestion....for the weather angle, go to a weather site and look at the average month highs/lows for various Arizona cities and you'll get a good idea of what weather to expect for the different months of the year.
Hi Steve, this was my first posting and when I read your suggestion re Oro Valley I have done (a lot!) of reading about this beautiful area and we have decided to spend most of our July visit in this area rather than Anthem. Flagstaff or Prescott is a little too cold in the winter for us. It became very obvious to me that this OV area is more appealing, has some adult communities, which I hadn't considered due to my DH objecting to that kind of environment and even cooler summers which DH requested. Now that I have done and continue to do my DD my DH has gotten interested in the 55+ communities and all that those places have to offer. Also, just buying a private residence and taking advantage of all the public amenities that OV has to offer is quite enticing as well. So, thank you Steve for sending us on in the right direction!

Old 04-18-2015, 02:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,069,876 times
Is this going to be two homes or one?
If two homes - close to an airport may be a consideration.
Me, I'd pick Gilbert, AZ if you want to be near Phoenix. Has a nice traditional downtown.

Or rent for a winter in Green Valley, AZ.

Make sure to rent a place that is a member of Green Valley Recreation. Many do, some don't.
In Green Valley, some of the older homes have nice years and good views.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisypups View Post
Hi Steve, this was my first posting and when I read your suggestion re Oro Valley I have done (a lot!) of reading about this beautiful area and we have decided to spend most of our July visit in this area rather than Anthem. Flagstaff or Prescott is a little too cold in the winter for us. It became very obvious to me that this OV area is more appealing, has some adult communities, which I hadn't considered due to my DH objecting to that kind of environment and even cooler summers which DH requested. Now that I have done and continue to do my DD my DH has gotten interested in the 55+ communities and all that those places have to offer. Also, just buying a private residence and taking advantage of all the public amenities that OV has to offer is quite enticing as well. So, thank you Steve for sending us on in the right direction!
Glad that helped Daisypups. Oro Valley is a very pretty area for sure. It was a finalist in places we were looking to live. Being right at the base of those impressive mountain ranges make for great views.

The best to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area