Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM

35 posts, read 184,924 times

Advertisements

I'm just guessing, but perhaps the original poster works for an ad/marketing agency who has been hired by the government or CVB to create a new "identity". It seems unlikely that he is doing this of his own accord. It sounds more like a work assignment. And I think it's great that he's asking locals for their opinions. The reason I'm not trying to help with answers is that I've only lived here a few months and don't have any real insight into Phoenix's identity yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,048 times
I don't believe that my response was hostile or defensive. Knowing the history of an area goes to directly to understanding what it's identity could/would be. I was querying this gentlemen's knowledge of the Valley's history.

In fact here is another question. The official statehood celebration for Arizona's status as a new state was attended by several prominent families from the area. One of these families had a 3 year old boy with them who would play a significant role in Arizona's political future - who was it?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Perhaps the original poster is simply some kid working on a project? Maybe it's just someone trying to get information for a survey? Maybe it's just someone asking questions out of nowhere.

Who knows?

But frankly, if you want to present a good image to someone (someone whose identity you have no idea) you don't become hostile. The funny thing is that you guys probably already answered his question, just indirectly!

And Charles...you are right, knowing the history of an area is essential to understanding the identity. I just think your presentation was a little...well, terse. Perhaps you could have started it as such, "Thank you for your questions and interest. How familiar are you with the history of Phoenix? If you're not completely up to speed here are a few items of interest that may help you further understand the image of the city/region...yada, yada, yada"

Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,048 times
Ok - I didn't not intend to sound terse.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM

35 posts, read 184,924 times
I feel bad that no one's tried to answer the questions yet. Here are some thoughts, but keep in mind I've only lived in the area for a few months.

-Do you think the area has a strong "identity"?
Not really. I'd say maybe sunny weather and Native American art (based on the designs I see along the sides of the highway).

-What would you like / think could - be the areas future identity?
No idea.

-What are some things you have there that you can't get anywhere else?
Sun, sun, sun. That's what I love most about living here. Nothing else stands out to me as unique or better than other places I've lived.

-Are people proud to be from there?
I don't know. I would think that because the population is so transient that there aren't that many people with roots here.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
That's the trouble with people from the East coast, they want to come here and change Phoenix's "identity" to make it look like New York or Chicago. It'll never work. Leave the filth of Chicago and New York where it belongs, don't bring it here. Yes, I am hostile towards any New Yorker who wants to come here and change things. What works for cities on the east coast may not necesserily work here so don't waste your time.

Phoenix is a much younger city, so let it develop its own idenity, we don't need one from New York.

And to answer your question, yes I am proud to be a native of Phoenix.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 01-17-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 04:59 PM

309 posts, read 900,491 times
Default A New Phoenix

Vertigo8,

Since it doesn't seem like you're going to get a straight answer to your question I can offer some answer but Phoenecians will have to add.
I've been to Phoenix and know people who live there but I too am from NY

Phoenix has its own identity based on its history, location and people.
It is not a city with a central business district like New York. It is sprawled out. I have heard of plans for a cbd but..

When I was there and from what I've heard there wasn't anything that I found that I couldn't get anywhere else. A Phoenician will have to help here.

Phoenicians are proud of their city. They don't seem to be as arrogant and blind to progress as a lot of die hard NYers but they like it or they've left.

If you are doing a project on a place you'll have to go visit and ask the people. You really need to evaluate and compare for yourself.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo8 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a New Yorker (please..no negative comments yet..) and involved in a project to create a new "identity" for the Greater Phoenix Area. I have never been to Phoenix so I hope that some of you will be able to help me understand what it is like there:

-Do you think the area has a strong "identity"?
-What would you like / think could - be the areas future identity?
-What are some things you have there that you can't get anywhere else?
-Are people proud to be from there?

Again, thanks...and anyone needing NY tips (cool rest. and underground clubs) from a native can email me.
Current Identity: Somewhat uncertain and changing. In just a century, Phoenix has grown from a territorial capital to a regional city to a national city. For many residents, their concept of the city's identity has not evolved to match the reality of its growth. The complaints about Phoenix being too "crowded" are an example. Phoenix is one of the least dense cities in the world, but to those whose vision of the city was shaped in prior decades, it might seem "crowded" compared to what it once was. I think the only universally accepted identity is one of constant growth and change.

Future Identity: The best possible identity would be an an example of successful management of growth. We're a long way from that, but it's a noble aspiration. The worst possible identity would be a city hit hard by rising oil prices that make car-centric living unaffordable. I suspect the reality will be somewhere between those extremes. Without a doubt, Phoenix will a denser city, at least in its core, and a more diverse city than it has ever been before.

Unique about Phoenix: The blend of indoor and outdoor attractions. It's possible to go on a rigorous hike in the morning, enjoy a first-rate museum in the afternoon, and then have a great dinner in the evening.

Pride of local residents: In the past, many Phoenix natives I knew fell into two categories: 1) Those who felt inadequate and unsophisticated due to their Phoenix origins. 2) Those who felt that any change proposed by residents born elsewhere is an attempt to make Phoenix like another city. Neither attitude is realistic or appropriate. Most native Phoenicians are no less sophisticated than residents of other cities, and most residents who propose changes simply want to make Phoenix a better version of itself. In addition, some of the strongest advocates of change are themselves natives. There's someone on this board who goes by the nickname "Valley Native" and consistently advocates high-rise development. My wife, who is also a native, is also very much in favor of high-density urban development.

Recently, I've seen more polarization in opinions about the city. When I first moved here, it seemed everyone liked Phoenix but few really loved it. These days, you'll hear from some folks who can't stand it and bash it constantly. Some moved here and disovered it wasn't what they expected; others are long-term residents who don't like the larger, more "crowded" version of Phoenix that exists today. On the other hand, there also seem to be more people, transplants and natives alike, who feel enormous Phoenix pride. That doesn't mean they think Phoenix is perfect, but instead they appreciate it in its present form while also envisioning how it can be better in the future. I'm definitely in that category.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Current Identity: Somewhat uncertain and changing. In just a century, Phoenix has grown from a territorial capital to a regional city to a national city. For many residents, their concept of the city's identity has not evolved to match the reality of its growth. The complaints about Phoenix being too "crowded" are an example. Phoenix is one of the least dense cities in the world, but to those whose vision of the city was shaped in prior decades, it might seem "crowded" compared to what it once was. I think the only universally accepted identity is one of constant growth and change.

Future Identity: The best possible identity would be an an example of successful management of growth. We're a long way from that, but it's a noble aspiration. The worst possible identity would be a city hit hard by rising oil prices that make car-centric living unaffordable. I suspect the reality will be somewhere between those extremes. Without a doubt, Phoenix will a denser city, at least in its core, and a more diverse city than it has ever been before.

Unique about Phoenix: The blend of indoor and outdoor attractions. It's possible to go on a rigorous hike in the morning, enjoy a first-rate museum in the afternoon, and then have a great dinner in the evening.

Pride of local residents: In the past, many Phoenix natives I knew fell into two categories: 1) Those who felt inadequate and unsophisticated due to their Phoenix origins. 2) Those who felt that any change proposed by residents born elsewhere is an attempt to make Phoenix like another city. Neither attitude is realistic or appropriate. Most native Phoenicians are no less sophisticated than residents of other cities, and most residents who propose changes simply want to make Phoenix a better version of itself. In addition, some of the strongest advocates of change are themselves natives. There's someone on this board who goes by the nickname "Valley Native" and consistently advocates high-rise development. My wife, who is also a native, is also very much in favor of high-density urban development.

Recently, I've seen more polarization in opinions about the city. When I first moved here, it seemed everyone liked Phoenix but few really loved it. These days, you'll hear from some folks who can't stand it and bash it constantly. Some moved here and disovered it wasn't what they expected; others are long-term residents who don't like the larger, more "crowded" version of Phoenix that exists today. On the other hand, there also seem to be more people, transplants and natives alike, who feel enormous Phoenix pride. That doesn't mean they think Phoenix is perfect, but instead they appreciate it in its present form while also envisioning how it can be better in the future. I'm definitely in that category.
Very well said. Ditto for me.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 79,345 times
to summarize the above posts,

Phoenix's identity = one large inferiority complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area