Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:35 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
to summarize the above posts,

Phoenix's identity = one large inferiority complex.
Nah, that's not Phoenix's identity. I do, however, feel that it is the identity of another Arizona city 110 miles SE of Phoenix, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's the trouble with people from the East coast, they want to come here and change Phoenix's "identity" to make it look like New York or Chicago. It'll never work. Leave the filth of Chicago and New York where it belongs, don't bring it here. Yes, I am hostile towards any New Yorker who wants to come here and change things. What works for cities on the east coast may not necesserily work here so don't waste your time.

Phoenix is a much younger city, so let it develop its own idenity, we don't need one from New York.

And to answer your question, yes I am proud to be a native of Phoenix.

New York is pretty clean now I was surprised. Most New Yorkers really don't want to leave NY that's why they try to take it with them.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
to summarize the above posts,

Phoenix's identity = one large inferiority complex.
Nice to hear from you again. Thought you'd forgotten about us after starting your conversation-provoking Detroit vs. Phoenix thread.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 PM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
That's the trouble with people from the East coast, they want to come here and change Phoenix's "identity" to make it look like New York or Chicago. It'll never work. Leave the filth of Chicago and New York where it belongs, don't bring it here. Yes, I am hostile towards any New Yorker who wants to come here and change things. What works for cities on the east coast may not necesserily work here so don't waste your time.

Phoenix is a much younger city, so let it develop its own idenity, we don't need one from New York.

And to answer your question, yes I am proud to be a native of Phoenix.

You tell 'em Mike! Leave other areas like they are and where they are and let Az stay as Az. You surely couldnt turn Georgia into a Montreal, why try turning Phoenix into a NYC?
I may not be an Az native and dont love Az as much as some may, but have to agree, there are reasons places look as they do.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:23 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,048 times
Your questions: Do you think the area has a strong "identity"? What would you like / think could - be the areas future identity? -Are people proud to be from there?
My questions: Who was Jack Swilling? Who was George Hunt? What year did AZ become a state and what direct bearing did that have on Phoenix? What year did AZ become a state and what direct bearing did that have on Phoenix? What year was the SRP completed and why was this important for Phoenix? What was invented by the US Navy during WW II that had a HUGE impact on Phoenix?

Combined response: Jack Swilling is considered the founder of Phoenix. He was entrepreneur. George Hunt was first governor of Arizona he was deeply concerned about the future quality of life for Arizona residents and the Valley in particular.

AZ become a state on St. Valentine’s Day 1912. AZ is the 48th state the youngest of the contiguous continental states, making AZ a recent phenomenon.

The Salt River Project was completed in 1911 assuring a reliable and plentiful supply of water to the Valley. During WW II the US Navy invented air conditioning. A reliable water supply plus this technology made it possible for Phoenix to grow into a city.

The three year old boy attending the statehood celebration with his family was Barry Goldwater. Goldwater become famous as Senator and pioneered the idea of libertarian conservatism as public policy.

Yes Phoenix has a strong identity. It is rooted in a tradition of entrepreneurialism and concern for everyday quality of life. Phoenix’s future identity will be characterized as a self conscious awareness of her short history and an optimistic, youthful belief in her future. Water resources are respected and the benefits brought by new technology are appreciated. Yes people are proud to be from Phoenix. And in the tradition popularized by the late Senator Barry Goldwater, self confident individualism is considered an admirable trait.

Your question: What are some things you have there that you can't get anywhere else?
My question: What was the connection between Phoenix and Hollywood in the 1920's?

Combined response: During the 1920’s virtually all of the silent film westerns were filmed just north of Phoenix around present day Lake Pleasant. After surveying the entire American west, Hollywood filmmakers at the time decided that the spirit of the old west was best embodied in the hills north of Phoenix, Arizona. Indeed Tom Mix chose to retire here.

The thing that can be had in Phoenix and found nowhere else is a unique blending of the old west fraternal social milieu and small town style joi de’vrie driven by the abundant sunshine.

<hope this helps>

Old 01-18-2008, 11:55 PM

8 posts, read 21,656 times
Smile Kyhlbly

I have only been here since 1970 and I am finding out new things about Phoenix and the State of Arizona everday. All I know is it is the only place other than my birth and youth state of Kentucky that I love. I spent the first 37 years in Phoenix and now have retired to Flagstaff so now have 4 seasons.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:51 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo8 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a New Yorker (please..no negative comments yet..) and involved in a project to create a new "identity" for the Greater Phoenix Area. I have never been to Phoenix so I hope that some of you will be able to help me understand what it is like there:

-Do you think the area has a strong "identity"?
-What would you like / think could - be the areas future identity?
-What are some things you have there that you can't get anywhere else?
-Are people proud to be from there?

Again, thanks...and anyone needing NY tips (cool rest. and underground clubs) from a native can email me.
I'm really confused as to the reason for involving someone from New York who has never even visited Phoenix in shaping Phoenix's identity. That makes no sense to me.

I would like to know who initiated this project and why.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats why I dont understand the hostility either. He asked questions and wanted answers from Phoenicians. Now if he was asking fellow New Yorkers to help him piece together an identity for Phoenix, THEN you could complain. Agree?
I'm sorry, but asking a few questions in a forum is not enough to get a real sense of Phoenix's current identity, or what people want. Someone who is interested in reshaping Phoenix, if they have positive intent, should really live here for a long time first.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,048 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but asking a few questions in a forum is not enough to get a real sense of Phoenix's current identity, or what people want. Someone who is interested in reshaping Phoenix, if they have positive intent, should really live here for a long time first.
I agree 110%. I responded to this person by asking additional questions and providing some historical reference with my answers.

It seems to be that this would be an excellent project for local folks - a mixture of community groups could have been tapped to respond.
It appears somebody with no confidence in what they probably write off as local yokels is looking for something they see as polished and professional and they (apparently) are sucker enough to pay allot of money to a PR firm in NYC to deliver.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I agree 110%. I responded to this person by asking additional questions and providing some historical reference with my answers.

It seems to be that this would be an excellent project for local folks - a mixture of community groups could have been tapped to respond.
It appears somebody with no confidence in what they probably write off as local yokels is looking for something they see as polished and professional and they (apparently) are sucker enough to pay allot of money to a PR firm in NYC to deliver.
That, or the OP could be a troll. I seem to remember Steve-O and Irwin to be two of the most vocal Phoenix bashers, and are, incidently, the main defenders of this thread. Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area