Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,695,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct987 View Post
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of snake this is? I saw it while hiking. Thanks!

Attachment 149666
It's a Long-nosed snake. Nice find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:50 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,610,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Not a coral. Not even close.

Too many wives tales and mininformation surround snakes. This poor thing would probably be harmed if most people came across it while hiking. Even if it was a coral snake, there should be no reason to harm it anyways, but people are stupid and do whatever they want to snakes because they dont understand them. I saw a mom and son throwing rocks at a rattler on Camelback this weekend, and they were laughing about it! I gave em a verbal lashing, walked withing 5' of the snake, and asked them what the big deal was. Theyre not gonna bother people! Leave snakes alone, they have their duty in nature just like every other animal that was created.
So I was wrong. Even more reason to stay away from that snake. If you do not know then assume it is deadly (not to kill it but to leave it alone)

Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,101,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
So I was wrong. Even more reason to stay away from that snake. If you do not know then assume it is deadly (not to kill it but to leave it alone)

Excellent advice.

Although the vast majority of snakes in the USA are harmless and even the venemous ones are usually non-agressive and reluctant to bite, a snake bite is very dangerous and extremely painful.

If you don't know what it it is assume it is venomous and avoid it.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 PM

456 posts, read 1,500,766 times
I had a similar one in the barn a few years ago. Scared the heck out of me, I pulled back a curtain on the window and he was up on the window sill!! Never expected to have a snake on a window sill!
I caught and released him in the empty lot next door. Saw a similar one a day or two ago , again,near the barn. Not harmful, so I left him alone.

Curly
Attached Thumbnails
saw this snake while hiking-barn-snake.jpg  

Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,253,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
I had a similar one in the barn a few years ago. Scared the heck out of me, I pulled back a curtain on the window and he was up on the window sill!! Never expected to have a snake on a window sill!
I caught and released him in the empty lot next door. Saw a similar one a day or two ago , again,near the barn. Not harmful, so I left him alone.

Curly
My cat brought me one that looked almost exactly like your pic. Still alive. About a foot long, as thick as my pinkie. He dropped it right on my bare foot. Great honor!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Thats good advice to everyone. People just kill snakes, regardless. They see a snake, they kill it. That irks me to no end!

Old 05-13-2015, 11:14 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,617,041 times
Quote:
Thats good advice to everyone. People just kill snakes, regardless. They see a snake, they kill it. That irks me to no end!
It has to be the flames of fear which are fanned by the numbskulls in Hollywood.

The public perception of snakes is that they are horrible creatures -- somewhat like the ones in the movie, Anaconda, or Snakes on a Plane! Their portrayal in the Indiana Jones movies didn't exactly help matters either.

Unfortunately, those movie-making dim bulbs don't do much to help the public's image of snakes.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
They see a snake, they kill it. That irks me to no end!
I agree. And some of the people who kill them would probably be the 1st to complain when the rodent population or some other specie is on their property that the snakes are suppose to keep in check start increasing in numbers.

Always check with your local fire department as some will remove a snake for free if it's on your property. The city of Goodyear provides that service for residents which is nice.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
It has to be the flames of fear which are fanned by the numbskulls in Hollywood.

The public perception of snakes is that they are horrible creatures -- somewhat like the ones in the movie, Anaconda, or Snakes on a Plane! Their portrayal in the Indiana Jones movies didn't exactly help matters either.

Unfortunately, those movie-making dim bulbs don't do much to help the public's image of snakes.
Well said. I also think all the stupid wives tales dont help the situation, either. People are so ignorant and gullible, I swear. If it isnt fluffy, kill it! That seems to be their mentality.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree. And some of the people who kill them would probably be the 1st to complain when the rodent population or some other specie is on their property that the snakes are suppose to keep in check start increasing in numbers.

Always check with your local fire department as some will remove a snake for free if it's on your property. The city of Goodyear provides that service for residents which is nice.
That is a nice service to have! I think it would be a good learning opportunity for the kids and wife, etc, to watch the snake from a distance, then observe how theyre removed. The FD also releases the rattlers back into the wild, and they often tell people that, so they dont think the animal is going to be destroyed (it can lead to guilt trips for some people). I think its beneficial that children learn to respect the rattlesnakes, and know that they will be released, so they know how important rattlesnakes are to nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area