Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 AM

604 posts, read 934,420 times

Advertisements

Last June we stayed in the Sun City side of this development for a few days curtesy of their guest program. There are certainly advantages to this community such as the convenience of the grocery store and other retail at the entrance. We also think Del Webb facilities are first rate. However, on our second morning as we sat on the patio we noticed the unmistakeable smell of cow manure and the flies, oh my, the flies drove us inside.

We continue our search for a possible retirement home. SCAMR certainly has some benefits but we are very, very concerned about that odor and the flies. Would like to hear from others who may have some experience at this location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:45 AM

63 posts, read 141,560 times
Hi, we have a home in parkside anthem and it is very rare to get the smell from the dairy south of town, and it doesnt last to long.
Their have been more flies then in past years, usually they come out when the weather warms up. we have had our home in Anthem for 6 years and have enjoyed it, we even have our new restaurant next to the golf course first class place.we also have a great Italian restaurant next to Safeway
the big advantage to us is the lack of traffic as the have up north in Phoenix.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM

483 posts, read 665,562 times
We just bought a spec home in SCAMR a couple days ago. We noticed no smell. What we did notice were the outstanding amenities and friendly people (although probably half of the population has headed back north for the summer). It's funny because when we drove up from Tucson, we came in the back way (past the prison). We looked at each other and agreed there's no way we would even stop to look at SCAMR. However, our realtor convinced us to give it a shot, just to look. Not only did we look, we ended up buying. We stayed in one of the guest villas for a couple of nights, enjoyed happy hour at the Anthem Grill (during which we saw an awesome rainbow one evening), talked to several residents and potential future residents, and essentially felt right at home. Looking forward to making our big move.

Last edited by gbpakrfan; 05-19-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Gene, I can't comment on your concerns, but I know in certain areas of the East Valley, those smells existed fifteen years ago and still do. That said, it may not be true in Merrill Ranch.

But, in an effort to help, I did a little googling for you. You might read through these reviews/comments from DW page (yes, many are from 2013 and possible out of date, but not everybody is 100% satisfied down there. I give DW/Pulte credit for not eliminating the negative comments.) I did NOT read through them all to see if ANY comment on the smell, but according to google, the word "smell" appears in at least one of these comments: Active Adult Retirement Communities | Sun City Anthem at Merrill Ranch | Florence, AZ | Del Webb New Home Builders

Another thought: Anthem at Merrill Ranch has several different Facebook pages. Try going to those and sending a private message to residents who post on those pages. Remarkable what information you can gain this way!

You might also want to review your own comments from 2014 shortly after your visit there. I'm not discouraging you at all - far from it. I liked the area when we visited (but it was unsuitable to us because it's just TOO remote - we moved to Raleigh, NC anyway). But in rereading your initial comments, this odor bothered you a lot!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
If you like Del Webb communities and you don't mind the drive from Sun City West, you might consider Anthem, AZ. It's a beautiful planned community with some wonderful amenities. A friend lives up there and I'm impressed. They have a great community center. They hold events every Friday in May at the Park and a lot of the residents show up. They have that cool Memorial Anthem Veterans Memorial | Online At Anthem No farm smells up there. A very nice outlet mall and all the stores you need within 5 minutes.

It's a quick trip into town on I-17. Give that side of town a try. It may fit your needs.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 PM

483 posts, read 665,562 times
Cowgirl,
After reading Gene R's numerous and extensive previous posts regarding his search for a retirement destination, I can tell you that he is looking specifically for a 55+ community. From what I can gather, the "regular" Anthem you mentioned is an all-age community.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:24 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Cowgirl,
After reading Gene R's numerous and extensive previous posts regarding his search for a retirement destination, I can tell you that he is looking specifically for a 55+ community. From what I can gather, the "regular" Anthem you mentioned is an all-age community.
That is correct, the Anthem that is north of Phoenix is not a 55-plus community.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:41 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Actually, there IS a gated community within the city of Anthem that IS 55+
Anthem Country Club By Del Webb Arizona - Anthem | AZ | 85086 | 55+ Active Adult Retirement Community Villages | Sales & Rentals | activeadultliving.com

Old 05-21-2015, 08:19 AM

63 posts, read 141,560 times
I believe the poster is talking about the anthem in the east valley, Anthem At Merrill Ranch. Same builder just in a different place. Same idea Suncity in 55 plus and parkside isnt age restricted.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
That website is not accurate.

I actually live in Anthem. Country Club is a gated golf community, but it is not age restricted.

Anthem Country Club Community Association | Online At Anthem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area