Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 PM

25 posts, read 17,421 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'm looking at moving to the Phoenix area to work at State Farm in Tempe. I'm trying to figure out where to live and what mode of transportation to take to get to work. I'd like a newer type house with the southwest architecture so was thinking Chandler might be good but sounds like it would take me an hour or more to get to work. Is this true? Also I'm not used to lots of traffic so was thinking taking the metro would be best. I'm not sure if there is any parking available in Tempe or near State Farm. Does anyone know? And if I did drive instead of taking the metro, would it be much faster? Also are there better places to live that would meet my housing wants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,973 times
There is no metro to take, just buses, which probably won't work for you. Chandler is right next to Tempe, shouldn't take more than 15-30 minutes, depending upon which part of Chandler. You;ll have to drive, State Farm is in an industrial park sort of setting with plenty of parking.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,490,060 times
I assume you mean the new State Farm offices now under construction in Downtown Tempe. Those offices will be a short walk from light rail, but there is no train to Chandler at the present time. Chandler is contemplating light rail, but it's probably a decade or two away under the best case scenario. If you wish to commute via light rail, you'll need to live in Tempe, central Phoenix, or west Mesa. If you choose to live in Chandler, you'd have to rely on buses or driving for your commute. The new State Farm building will have a parking garage. I'm not sure what charge, if any, there will be for employees to use it.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:24 PM

Ok. So I went to the transportation site the other day and it said I could take a bus or 2 and it would take me to the light rail but the whole trip would take like an hour. I'm just trying to figure out figure out where to live and how to get to work. So driving isn't crazy/scary through there and would only take 15 - 30 minutes?

Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,552,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeBound View Post
Ok. So I went to the transportation site the other day and it said I could take a bus or 2 and it would take me to the light rail but the whole trip would take like an hour. I'm just trying to figure out figure out where to live and how to get to work. So driving isn't crazy/scary through there and would only take 15 - 30 minutes?
If you live in the more northern part of Chandler (or the southern part of Tempe) you can take a straight shot up Rural Road and be at State Farm in less than 30 minutes. I wonder, when that facility is up and running, if they will run some Rural Road bus trips to/from State Farm in the morning and evening. That would be handy too. I would stay close to the main north south corridors (Rural the closest, Mill Avenue to the west, McClintock Dr to the east) and not go too far south into Chandler, and you will be fine. You could go into south Scottsdale, I suppose, but I think you would like south Tempe or north Chandler better.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I'd like to live as close to work as possible. It will depend on the houses I find. If I end up in the middle or southern part of Chandler, how much more time would that likely add?

Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 PM

772 posts, read 843,684 times
The Street car being constructed will loop around and connect state farm to the light rail. The means nothing if you live in Chandler. You will need a car to get from Chandler to Marina Heights. If you want a more urban setting there is a lot of development including apartments all over Downtown Tempe and around Tempe Town Lake which will get you there with ease.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks TempeAZnative. I was hoping to buy a newer house so was wanting to probably stay away from that area. How long a commute to mid or southern Chandler? Anyone know?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:30 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,552,841 times
"Newer type" meaning what age house are you thinking of?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 AM

772 posts, read 843,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeBound View Post
Thanks TempeAZnative. I was hoping to buy a newer house so was wanting to probably stay away from that area. How long a commute to mid or southern Chandler? Anyone know?
I would stay in West Chandler it would be closer to your job and only 20 minutes away depending on traffic, I live near Mill and Southern which is closer to your work and a nice working middle class area. If you want more upscale then South Tempe, West Chandler, Ahwatukee area would be for you. These are more established areas 15 years +. If you want a new build that's in the exurbs and not close to where you want to be. Also remember this there is so much building around Tempe Town lake and ASU has 70,000 + students I don't see the roads being widened. Traffic is already bad around the area I can't image what it will be like when all these developments are finished. Phoenix is a car-centric city not center around public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area