Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Bumping the thread.

So what's the purpose of these alley ways that still applies today? There is one behind my property, I went out couple of times to cut the weeds, I hated it. Our trash is collected in the curb.

If these alley ways doesn't serve any purpose, why not just sell the space to the homeowners?
There are places in Phoenix where the alleys have been abandoned and given to the adjacent homeowners. It happened recently in the Royal Palm neighborhood. I think that technically the homeowners own them, and are responsible or weeds, etc. but the city, utilities, etc. own a right of way easement.

In the historic neighborhoods, Royal Palm is NOT one, the alleys are considered part of the streetscape and the Historic Preservation folks oppose abandonment. Trash pickup is in the alley here as well. Moving the utilities is expensive. My garage opens to the alley so it would be a significant hit on my property value if the alley went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 PM

525 posts, read 540,330 times
So in our case (we don't live in Chandler anymore) it used to be for trash pickup but they did away with that and used the canisters. So at one City Council meeting it was proposed that the alley be split between our side of the neighborhood and the other neighborhood behind us--so basically, enlarging our yards--but the neighborhood behind us didn't want to do it. (who knows why not--we were part of an HOA, they were not) So there sits the empty alley to this day. Depending on how old your neighborhood is, it probably was used for trash pickup....

Old 04-17-2019, 02:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,381,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
There are places in Phoenix where the alleys have been abandoned and given to the adjacent homeowners. It happened recently in the Royal Palm neighborhood. I think that technically the homeowners own them, and are responsible or weeds, etc. but the city, utilities, etc. own a right of way easement.

In the historic neighborhoods, Royal Palm is NOT one, the alleys are considered part of the streetscape and the Historic Preservation folks oppose abandonment. Trash pickup is in the alley here as well. Moving the utilities is expensive. My garage opens to the alley so it would be a significant hit on my property value if the alley went away.
I dug the news about it, it says, those alleys are now closed off with secured gate. It didn't mention anything about giving the alley to the adjacent owner.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
I dug the news about it, it says, those alleys are now closed off with secured gate. It didn't mention anything about giving the alley to the adjacent owner.
Yeah, I think you're right on that one. It has happened like that in a few neighborhoods though.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:37 PM

202 posts, read 220,571 times
I know this thread is old now, but it did get bumped up and since I live in a neighborhood in Chandler that has alleys, I just want to say the city of Chandler has let those alleys become dumping areas for trash. People who live in the neighborhood or even people from outside (contractors, landscapers) working on homes in the area, just dump their trash there. The city doesn't really care because some parts of that area are really low income and run down. It's a mixed neighborhood area, where there are some really nice big ranch homes in excellent condition selling for good prices and some run down poorly maintained homes that have junkyards as their backyard. Personally, very disappointed in how poor of a job the city of Chandler has done in taking care of the public utilities and alleys in the area, especially since 2010ish. I believe the alleys are a grey zone where they are not really owned by the city but still used to garbage collection.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:15 PM

66 posts, read 45,709 times
Don't live in a neighborhood with alleys.
They seem to be magnets for filth.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM

7,191 posts, read 9,258,583 times
Where I live the "unused" alley is considered an easement. It's access for the city and utilities to get to the sewer, power, etc. My understanding is it actually belongs to the house behind me and my property. If we fenced it off the service people would have to access such thru our yards.

The city doesn't help with cleaning it either. We have to do that ourselves. For the most part nobody pays attention to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area