Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,859 times

Advertisements

But I've gone faster than 188 mph in a car before. How would they measure that? Or are you just as busted at 200 mph as at 188 mph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM

25 posts, read 99,544 times
Default Good Evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by osat View Post

The other day I drove east bound on Shea Blvd. We all know there is photo radar and everyone driving quite slowly. Just to pass radar zone….
Anyway, my speed was 57 mph, believe me, I know. Nice tiny blink …. And hey, a few weeks later I got a ticket with nice photo. I realized my care is so nice, but they are cheating just to collect more money.
I need to repeat: my speed was 57 mph and on photo was, guess what, 62 mph.

I paid my ticket,.......

And I received refund .....

Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM

8,327 posts, read 13,462,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
But I've gone faster than 188 mph in a car before.
On a public road? Please...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:05 AM

69 posts, read 221,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What you're suggesting about needing both cameras and more cops amounts to nothing less than a police state, and I simply don't want to turn Arizona's highways into a police state. Bigger government is not the answer to our problems.

The photo radar cameras are nothing more than a revenue gathering scheme by the municipalities and the state. Their presence has absolutely NOTHING to do with promoting safety. In fact, if the rumors are true that they slow people down, how safe is that really? Slower doesn't always mean safer. I've had a few near misses by inattentive slowpokes who pulled out in front of me, or attempted to get into the exit lane at the last second because they almost missed their exits. Slower speeds generally result in longer commute times and more stress for the average driver. Besides, speed isn't the primary cause of most accidents. Inattentiveness is.
The obvious counter point to this is that if we're going to have inattentiveness causing accidents, wouldn't we rather have it happen at a slower speed? You're right that speed isn't the primary cause of many accidents, but it is the primary cause of the severity of the injuries & damages. I adjusted auto insurance claims for years and saw, first hand, exactly what happens in an accident to a car and it's passengers as the speed increases.

If accident-related injuries go down while the photo radar's turned on (which they did in Scottsdale), then it's a good thing regardless of whether the government put them there just to raise money.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZParents View Post
The obvious counter point to this is that if we're going to have inattentiveness causing accidents, wouldn't we rather have it happen at a slower speed? You're right that speed isn't the primary cause of many accidents, but it is the primary cause of the severity of the injuries & damages. I adjusted auto insurance claims for years and saw, first hand, exactly what happens in an accident to a car and it's passengers as the speed increases.

If accident-related injuries go down while the photo radar's turned on (which they did in Scottsdale), then it's a good thing regardless of whether the government put them there just to raise money.
And on that note, after Nixon imposed the 50 MPH highway limit back in '73 during the oil crisis (later raised to 55 MPH after protests by truckers) highway fatalities went down. Even though many people flaunted the law and went faster, it seems that thousands of people owe their lives to the lower speed limit over the 10-15 years that it was in effect. We all hate to drive so slowly on the highway but there does seem to be a correlation with safety.

Maybe we need to emphasize more crash-resistance in cars. I want a car that can protect me from a 60 MPH collision. So cars would cost an extra $10K--so what? I'd rather be in debt than be dead.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM

25 posts, read 105,831 times
Quote:
But I've gone faster than 188 mph in a car before.
In what car? Most, if not all, cars in the US are electronically limited to 165 or 170.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:38 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
In what car? Most, if not all, cars in the US are electronically limited to 165 or 170.
All cars? Mine stock is limited to 108, but with a laptop and a tuner, its gone.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsedixit View Post
It was at the Ruf shop in Pfaffenhausen, Germany, a Porsche RGT. My own will do about 160 mph on the track. You can always remove the governing chips, but not really worth it for a street car.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
But I've gone faster than 188 mph in a car before. How would they measure that? Or are you just as busted at 200 mph as at 188 mph?
LOL . . . I believe you passed me on The 101 last week!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Nah, I don't do that stuff on the street in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area