Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There will be "loss leader" sales on eggs somewhere every week until the price comes back down. It was the same with milk a few years back and even beef to some extent. It's probably not worth shopping around though. Think about it. How many eggs do you use? At a cost saving of a buck or so a dozen, it hardly seems like egg prices will make or break anyone's food budget. If you are Denny's or The Good Egg, you have problems, but a typical family not really.

Watch the weekly ads. Fry's and Safeway will usually have sales on eggs, and they kind of take turns. One will have the sale one week, one the other. Also, Fry's will sometimes have repacked eggs for less. A couple of weeks ago I bought 2 cartons of mixed eggs (some white and some brown) for $1.88 a carton. (They take the good ones out of cartons with broken ones and make new dozens)

Old 06-09-2015, 11:39 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,020 times
Here's why they are scarce right now
Bird flu found in Iowa; up to 5.3 million chickens to be destroyed - LA Times

By comparison, last year when there was a blip in the prices, only 112,000 birds were destroyed
112,000 chickens destroyed after bird flu outbreak | South China Morning Post

If you eat that many eggs, maybe you should get some chickens!

Or, you could buy some of the frozen eggs which aren't bad for scrambled and do a good job in baked goods.

Just saw some at Trader Joe's that were around $2.99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,915,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Hey guys. Just curious to know if anyone else has noticed that the prices of eggs is skyrocketing? Last week I paid $3.50 for an 18 count package. Today, $4.24 for the same count at Walmart. It's no better than Frys or anywhere else. California had a new law passed mandating chickens be free-roaming and thus are requiring farmers set up larger areas to house them, and New York is dealing with the avian flu that has killed off millions of chickens. Is this the reason why our egg prices are soaring?
I always buy the 18 count eggs and, up till now, they were 'about' $2.89. Imagine my shock when I got to work the other day and saw them over $4! One of the stores does have them on sale for $1.88 this week and a lot of people did ad matches.

I'm wondering if this chicken 'problem' is going to cause the price of chicken to go up. Makes me want to stock up on skinless, boneless chicken breasts...just in case! And while it's still $1.99 pound!

Old 06-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
We haven't had any luck with our Walmart (7th ave. L. Buckey) doing price matching on eggs. When we try, we are told they can no longer do eggs.

And Albertsons is way way too far for us.
The Walmart where I work hasn't stopped ad matching eggs. That might be a management decision for that store. OR maybe it's still coming down the pike for us. Guess I'll find out when I go in to work Thursday.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 PM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I always buy the 18 count eggs and, up till now, they were 'about' $2.89. Imagine my shock when I got to work the other day and saw them over $4! One of the stores does have them on sale for $1.88 this week and a lot of people did ad matches.

I'm wondering if this chicken 'problem' is going to cause the price of chicken to go up. Makes me want to stock up on skinless, boneless chicken breasts...just in case! And while it's still $1.99 pound!
THink about it in practical terms. You paid $1.13 more. You saved over that on a little over one gallon of gas from last year. Anyhow, it should not last too long. Chickens can be raised a whole lot faster than cattle, so the market will recover quickly. I saw that the virus was playing itself out in the areas that were hard hit too. Hopefully it won't return with the winter.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
a hospital I volunteer at has entirely discontinued the serving of eggs in its cafeteria....even for breakfast!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,304,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
a hospital I volunteer at has entirely discontinued the serving of eggs in its cafeteria....even for breakfast!
Jason's Deli had no hard boiled eggs on the salad bar last weekend

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,764,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Is that due to the prices of the eggs, or something else?

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
Quote:
Is that due to the prices of the eggs, or something else?

I didn't pursue why, but the hospital contracts out the kitchen operation to a concessionaire.....

could be concern over the sick birds and their eggs....or they just don't want to pay too much for eggs??!!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
THink about it in practical terms. You paid $1.13 more. You saved over that on a little over one gallon of gas from last year. Anyhow, it should not last too long. Chickens can be raised a whole lot faster than cattle, so the market will recover quickly. I saw that the virus was playing itself out in the areas that were hard hit too. Hopefully it won't return with the winter.
I didn't buy eggs, my customers did. I DO need to buy eggs though and will today. I'll pay the price, of course. Don't we always?

Even gas is getting 'ridiculous' again. It got down to $1.99 at one point and now it's back up to about $2.50. But, yes, I appreciate even that when compared to the 'almost' $4 gallon last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area