Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:42 PM

170 posts, read 223,174 times

Advertisements

thanks for the tips again
maybe a noisy pump would mask my snoring LOL,
what about salt water vs fresh water?
I like swimming in salt water but does it cost much more?
can a fresh water pool be converted to salt water?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 PM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
Salt water pool creates its chlorine by chemical reaction an electric anode connected to a small current which this anode is inline with your pump. The salt water systems usually run over 1000$ and the ROI on chlorine is about 10 years depending on if you have it installed how much you paid for it. The cheaper units last less time and have shorter warranties. The anode has a life of about 3 years and has to be replaced that can cost a lot drive the cost up. If the electronic box burns out you basically have to replace the whole system. It's more about convenience there is no cost savings that I could figure out my pool uses about $140 a year in chlorine not counting shock. If I had a salt system that was working correctly I would not forget to put tabs in and have to use shock .

In the last few years I have seen systems selling for around the $700 range but the pool store said that they had higher failure rates with those lower cost systems. One last thing I forgot many pools with coated decks like acrylic lace sometimes peels off near the pool edge where the salt water splashes on. That is something to keep in mind. Here is a link I found with more negative things about Salt systems I didn't even know about.

Things You Should Know Before Converting Your Swimming Pool From Chlorine To A Salt Water System | Fun Times Guide to Household Tips

Old 06-17-2015, 06:54 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBilly View Post
thanks for the tips again
maybe a noisy pump would mask my snoring LOL,
what about salt water vs fresh water?
I like swimming in salt water but does it cost much more?
can a fresh water pool be converted to salt water?
TIA
kell490 made some good points on the working and economy of a salt system. I wanted to add that you will not be swimming in salt water. The salt level is far, far below that of the ocean and is barely noticeable. The added sodium in the water gives it a "soft" feel to some, but with all love and respect for those people, I think that is mostly in their heads. Others will say it does not bleach their clothes, hair, or burn their eyes, but again, that has more to do with improper use of chlorine tablets than the salt. Salt pools are still based on chlorine disinfection. The level of control is usually better than tabs or powder though.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:44 AM

170 posts, read 223,174 times
wow I didn't know that.
Thanks a lot.
Will investigate even further now.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,763,880 times
Just got back from dry CA. People please do not build more pools or put in lawns. Our lesson for the decade should be our neighbor and its desire for luxury living over environmental concerns. Low and behold, San Diego is still building luxury condo's, importing more poor migrants to come and suck up what water they have left. Just sayin.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,084,107 times
Also consider when the pool is hit by sun and when it's shaded.

During the summer the shade from our house starts hitting the pool around 4pm. So on these 110-115 degree days it works out well for us. Cocktail hour starts just as shade is hitting the pool!

In full sun it would not be pleasant in the pool on hot days until nearly sunset, and while of course you can add some shade by using umbrellas, etc, it's not the same (to me) as having the whole pool in shade.

hikernut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: