Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:44 PM

170 posts, read 223,174 times

Advertisements

Hi There
We are buying in Phoenix and (probably) buying a home w/a pool.
What should be look out for, good/bad.
What sort of maintenance and how much should we expect to pay.
What about Homeowners insurance? Will it go up drastically.
All comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
DB
cant wait to move!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:25 AM

175 posts, read 492,292 times
Pool maintenance-$1000
Electrical-$800
Water-$250
These are your annual costs to run a pool a year. If a component fails then the cost will vary.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:03 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBilly View Post
Hi There
We are buying in Phoenix and (probably) buying a home w/a pool.
What should be look out for, good/bad.
What sort of maintenance and how much should we expect to pay.
What about Homeowners insurance? Will it go up drastically.
All comments will be appreciated.
Thanks
DB
cant wait to move!!!!!!!!!!!
I like in floor cleaning.
I would also pay attention to where the pump is located (outside which room).
Don't rely on the home inspector to check the pool, get a real pro to do it right.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:05 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,026,606 times
Pools in AZ are relatively cheap to put in (compared to most areas) - for 30K you can put a nice small pool in with decking etc. so don't limit your search to homes with pools without costing the type of pool you prefer. Pool builders can also get a pool in much much quicker than most places.

The options for housing are expanded if you're looking for either pool or not.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:19 PM

170 posts, read 223,174 times
thanks for the tips
Does the pool equipment make noise, so wouldn't want it near a bedroom?
What are types of pools to avoid?
TIA

Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 PM

13,345 posts, read 7,373,734 times
The pump should not be noisy unless something is wrong. I would suggest you getting a licensed pool contractor to check out a pool before you buy a home I suggest Swimming Pool Service and Repair.

You should read up on in-ground pools get some idea what different filter systems are out there. I love my pool we use it every day from May 30th until Oct I don't think I could live here with out it. I would watch out for pools that are older with plaster chipped off, pool equipment that has no shade or cover over it in the sun for years.

When I bought my home it had a 1978 pool the plumbing leaked bad we were spending 100's on water. We had to spend about 15k to fix everything needed to be re-plastered. You may want to get a lower price and have the pool rebuilt which is nice because you save a lot of money not having to dig the hole and all the concrete put in.

My pool uses a sand filter very low maintenance system you simply backwash once a month into my plants.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
thanks for the tips
TIA
Like Kell said they shouldn't make noise, some people (sometimes me) don't like a motor running right next to their bed. If it doesn't sound right I've gone outside in the middle of the night to check filter pressure.
Sounds anal (and it is) but I can hear a twig in the impeller.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miran View Post
Pool maintenance-$1000
Electrical-$800
Water-$250
These are your annual costs to run a pool a year. If a component fails then the cost will vary.
We moved into a house with a pool 9 years ago and I've done a pretty good job of tracking expenses over that time and the cost of chemicals, equipment repair and replacement averaged about $550 a year, so I think that $1000 figure is a bit high unless you use a pool service. I have no idea how to track electrical and water costs so I can't dispute these numbers.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:58 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
thanks for the tips
TIA
Yes, the equipment makes some noise but not a tremendous amount unless something is wrong. It doesn't have to be outside a room. In a previous home where we designed things we had the equipment in the far corner of the yard (beyond the pool) with a decorative wall in front of it. On the other hand, in this house the equipment is adjacent to the master bedroom and my wife tells me she can't sleep without the pump noise, finds it soothing.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:17 AM

175 posts, read 492,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We moved into a house with a pool 9 years ago and I've done a pretty good job of tracking expenses over that time and the cost of chemicals, equipment repair and replacement averaged about $550 a year, so I think that $1000 figure is a bit high unless you use a pool service. I have no idea how to track electrical and water costs so I can't dispute these numbers.
Pool service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: