Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 02:50 PM

35 posts, read 57,626 times

Advertisements

No doubt it's a nationwide issue, but I'm noticing a lot of dangerous driving out there. Incredibly aggressive, impatient, rude, all jammed together, tailgating mere feet from each other, typically exceeding the speed limit, darting back and forth from lane to lane, all while looking down at their critically important cell phone texting that just can't wait to be tended to later.

Getting out and about on the freeways around Scottsdale/Phoenix these days seems like a much riskier thing than driving was some time ago. I have to say that I'm thankful to be retired and not HAVE to get out in that mess everyday. I do sympathize with those who have to drive in it every day. But then again, many (not most) of those who do are the ones causing all the problems by how poorly they drive. We're surrounded by incompetent idiots, it seems, barely giving driving the attention that is required to avoid accidents, if even that.

Take care out there folks... there are people around you out there who won't be going home tonight, or ever again, because of this. And you don't want to be "that guy".

I guess all you can do to deal with this is constantly keep plenty of ample space in front of you, be very vigilant, attend to situational awareness constantly, moderate your speed, only change lanes when you need to, begin to slow down early, instead of at the last moment, NEVER change lanes until you've carefully cleared the way visually, and hope to make it through without becoming involved with an idiot who ruins your day (or your life).

Last edited by DHart; 06-17-2015 at 03:54 PM..

Old 06-17-2015, 03:06 PM

72 posts, read 133,263 times
I believe every city around the country is the same. For Phoenix (and Arizona in general for that matter), the cause of the impatience, rude, jammed together, tailgating, darting back and forth, etc. all seems to stem from slow, inconsiderate drivers in the fast lanes.

So many people think they are justified for driving the speed limit or less in the left lanes and feel that those behind them should just be patient, slow down, or go around. If more people would stay to the right and let people speed to their heart's content, we would not have nearly the amount of problems on our roads. Conversely, impatient drivers should realize that they are not going to get far if there are 100 people in front of them all traveling the same speed even if they cut off the few cars in front of them.

On a side note, I'm sure all replies to this thread should end with: "If everyone could just drive more like me"

Old 06-17-2015, 03:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
There are bad drivers everywhere. There have been threads on this subject before in this forum and in other city forums. I've experienced bad drivers here, but never to the point that I would publicly complain. You are exaggerating more than a bit when you say that "most" of those who do drive every day are the ones causing the problems because they are poor drivers. I've been driving all over the Valley for decades. There's more traffic now, and far more freeway miles which increase the issues involved with higher speeds.

Defensive driving is always important. That much is good advice.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:08 PM

163 posts, read 206,924 times
I will add the failure to signal/use blinkers. I've noticed that here more than back east. The thing is there are a lot of transplants here so it's probably a national epidemic!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:13 PM

656 posts, read 813,176 times
I agree with you completely. The pointless lane-changing. The speeding...including pointless accelerating toward a red light. The dangerous, illegal and pointless tailgating.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,183 times
You can go into any city forum and find people complaining about traffic. This is not a problem that only exists here. These threads devolve quickly.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:28 PM

Yeah, that was a rhetorical question, I suppose. It no doubt is a nationwide problem. It's just that I am here and observing the driving here, so I'm ranting about the problem here.

I'm just ranting because there are so many really bad drivers on the road and the problem has become much worse in recent years, particularly with texting. With the internet age, people have become needy of constant, instant communication no matter where they are or what they're doing. It is to the point where a lot of people have become psychological slaves to constant, instant social interaction through texting. I love the ability to use text, but have no need to instantly reply to a text that I receive. Nor to answer the phone, just because it is ringing. I'm happy to let voicemail sort out the calls for me so that I can tend to them as I feel like it.

And yes, PhxMan500, I will admit that if everyone drove like me, the roads WOULD be much safer!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There are bad drivers everywhere. You are exaggerating more than a bit when you say that "most" of those who do drive every day are the ones causing the problems because they are poor drivers. I've been driving all over the Valley for decades. There's more traffic now, and far more freeway miles which increase the issues involved with higher speeds.

Defensive driving is always important. That much is good advice.
I agree, "many" is likely a more apt descriptive than "most".

Old 06-17-2015, 03:38 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Add to that my biggest pet peeve...waiting until the last possible second to merge when their lane is clearly ending, then getting mad at ME because I am in their way. I have seen so many near miss accidents because of this, and did not witness it nearly to the extent I see it here. Your lane is ending, MERGE ASAP, and please signal that you are doing so. Don't just aimlessly drift into the next lane with no regard to other cars already occupying that space!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Is it just around the Phoenix/Scottsdale area or are drivers all across the country this bad?

Incredibly aggressive, impatient, rude, all jammed together, tailgating mere feet from each other, typically exceeding the speed limit, darting back and forth from lane to lane, all while looking down at their critically important cell phone texting that just can't wait to be tended to later.

Getting out and about on the freeways around Scottsdale/Phoenix these days seems like a much riskier thing than driving was some time ago. I have to say that I'm thankful to be retired and not HAVE to get out in that mess everyday. I do sympathize with those who have to drive in it every day. But then again, many (not most) of those who do are the ones causing all the problems by how poorly they drive. We're surrounded by incompetent idiots, it seems, barely giving driving the attention that is required to avoid accidents, if even that.

Take care out there folks... there are people around you out there who won't be going home tonight, or ever again, because of this. And you don't want to be "that guy".

I guess all you can do to deal with this is constantly keep plenty of ample space in front of you, be very vigilant, attend to situational awareness constantly, moderate your speed, only change lanes when you need to, begin to slow down early, instead of at the last moment, NEVER change lanes until you've carefully cleared the way visually, and hope to make it through without becoming involved with an idiot who ruins your day (or your life).
Nope!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area