Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:17 PM

25 posts, read 34,151 times

Advertisements

First of all I want to go on record by saying I think it's pretty cool how the PHX area has preserved mountain areas right in the city and many more mountain trails on the edges of Metro PHX.

But now for my outrage. I read a report on azcentral.com recently about how many people hike these trails even during a big heat wave like this. What's even more outrageous is another azcentral.com report said mountain rescues spiked by more than 30 percent in 2014 over the previous year, and PHX fire officials were called out on 116 mountain rescues so far in June 2015.

I don't understand the reasoning behind hiking in this heat, it seems very unreasonable and down right insane. Even the mornings aren't all that cool and it heats up pretty quickly out there with the blazing sun.

Maybe some of you out there can fill me in. WTH kind of sense does it make to go on the trailheads when it's relentlessly hot? I understand the exercise part and all but why don't you people just join a gym and work out there? At least in a gym you can work up a sweat and get fit in a cool atmosphere and it won't be as detrimental to your body. Best part of all is you're responsible for your own actions in a gym and fire crews won't have to waste time rescuing you.

Thanks to anyone that responds and stay cool out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
some people can handle heat...some can't.....don't be "outraged"!

many (most?) of those rescues have nothing to do with the heat....most are for people who didn't prepare or were incapable of doing what they hoped for....and I'm sure some were for people who just got "tired" and called 911 to come get me.....

Old 06-18-2015, 09:19 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
I have hiked in this heat before. I wouldnt recommend it to the average Joe, it can be dangerous. I do it because, oddly enough, I find thats the best time to experience the desert. Getting out there with the sun blazing, heat rippling off the surfaces, animals fighting to stay alive, etc, make the experience just so much more unique. If you're well-prepared to hike in this heat, and you think youre capable enough, then go for it! Just be absolutely sure youre prepared with enough water, etc, before you go. Have your cell phone on you, let someone know where youre going, know the signs of heat exhaustion, and have a backup plan in place in case things go south. Just know your body and what its telling you, and be prepared.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Most of the hikers depicted in the article are regulars who know to shift their summer hikes to the 5 AM - 7 AM time slot, when temperatures are at their lowest and direct overhead sunlight is not a factor. Most of them are also sticking to familiar trails so they're not going to get lost or find themselves out of water halfway through the hike. Any outrage should be directed towards inexperienced hikers who don't take proper precautions regarding hydration, time of day, and difficulty of trail. Mountain rescues occur throughout the year -- not just in the summer -- and often involve "weekend warriors" trying to hike trails that they are not prepared for.

Last edited by exit2lef; 06-18-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webtek334 View Post
First of all I want to go on record by saying I think it's pretty cool how the PHX area has preserved mountain areas right in the city and many more mountain trails on the edges of Metro PHX.

But now for my outrage. I read a report on azcentral.com recently about how many people hike these trails even during a big heat wave like this. What's even more outrageous is another azcentral.com report said mountain rescues spiked by more than 30 percent in 2014 over the previous year, and PHX fire officials were called out on 116 mountain rescues so far in June 2015.

I don't understand the reasoning behind hiking in this heat, it seems very unreasonable and down right insane. Even the mornings aren't all that cool and it heats up pretty quickly out there with the blazing sun.

Maybe some of you out there can fill me in. WTH kind of sense does it make to go on the trailheads when it's relentlessly hot? I understand the exercise part and all but why don't you people just join a gym and work out there? At least in a gym you can work up a sweat and get fit in a cool atmosphere and it won't be as detrimental to your body. Best part of all is you're responsible for your own actions in a gym and fire crews won't have to waste time rescuing you.

Thanks to anyone that responds and stay cool out there.
Me thinks they go hiking in the heat because they think they have something to prove. "Heat? Heat?! Heck, I go hiking on the mountains at noon in July! Those that complain about the heat are WIMPS! " . It's this type of attitude that gets them heat exhaustion and then requires EMT's to rescue them.

It's funny that there's a "Stupid motorists law" for those that drive into flooded roadways but we don't have a "Stupid hiker law" that applies the same standards to hikers in the summer (maybe there is one? ). It costs just as much rescuing these hikers as a person whom gets stuck in a flood.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:00 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,232,965 times
I don't hike in the afternoons too much this time of year. But evenings and mornings are interesting. As noted above there is something to see even this time of year. On the point of gyms? WTH? Why walk inside when you can walk outside? That has always seemed silly to me.

As to rescues? People have to learn their limits. It's different for everybody. I found my limits the hard way many years ago. Part of it is learning the warning signs, dizzy, light headed, can't think well. You need to get out of the heat at the first sign of this if possible. Part of it is preparation, cool liquids, using shade, wearing the proper clothes for the conditions. And yes of course avoiding the whole problem by only going outside to get in your air conditioned car.

Like many I work in air conditioning for the most part. I do end up walking ~1.5 mi/day outside at work. Ride my bike to and from work. So I think I am better acclimated to the heat than some. But there are still many who actually work outside this time of year. I see construction workers going to work at 5ish every morning.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Any outrage should be directed towards inexperienced hikers who don't take proper precautions regarding hydration, time of day, and difficulty of trail. Mountain rescues occur throughout the year -- not just in the summer -- and often involve "weekend warriors" trying to hike trails that they are not prepared for.
You are correct. Inexperienced hikers are to blame, I can guarantee that. Im so sick and tired of seeing idiots literally starting to run up Camelback (Cholla Trail entrance) in midday heat, carrying nothing but a small 12oz bottle of water. Really, people?!? Are you trying to kill yourselves? I often see these idiots huddled in the small shade of Palo Verde trees on the way up. You can tell they overcooked themselves.

Another thing that chaps my hide is the fact that the Phoenix and Scottsdale CVB promote hiking Camelback Mountain as a fun visitor activity. Im sorry, but that mountain is far too tough for the inexperienced hiker, and they never tell people that. They should specify its for experienced hikers. On top of the trail being tough (and at times difficult to follow near the summit), there are rattlesnakes up there, no water offered, and little shade at all. Plus its incredibly steep at the summit, and people fall to their deaths. All too often I see tourists (families with smaller children, etc) all sitting down alongside the trail, huffing and puffing, and drinking their hot water from containers that are far too small. I hear it all too often... "how much further to the top?" they say between breaths, chests heaving, sweat pouring. Ive had people ask me that not even a 1/4 of the way up. The CVB/tourist boards need to remove Camelback Mountain from their recommendation list, unless the visitors are equipped to hike in the heat, or are experienced hikers. Its not a mountain for the novice hiker.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
On the point of gyms? WTH? Why walk inside when you can walk outside? That has always seemed silly to me.
Amen! People who literally spend money to walk indoors, surrounded by sweaty, stinky, "look at me, look at me" people, its completely absurd! You all should be outdoors, in the free, fresh air, surrounded by God's beauty, with views to die for, and wildlife all around. Lifes too short to spend indoors, people! Get out and enjoy it (more so before the snowbirds come and choke up the parks).

Old 06-18-2015, 11:28 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Amen! People who literally spend money to walk indoors, surrounded by sweaty, stinky, "look at me, look at me" people, its completely absurd! You all should be outdoors, in the free, fresh air, surrounded by God's beauty, with views to die for, and wildlife all around. Lifes too short to spend indoors, people! Get out and enjoy it (more so before the snowbirds come and choke up the parks).

I'm a big outdoors person but can't totally agree with this. Gyms do serve a purpose. I recently joined one with an indoor running track and use it quite frequently. Jogging between sets on the weight equipment is a great workout. Also while the temps outside don't bother me they aren't great for taking a 3 month old on a stroll. I can bring my kid in a stroller and my wife and I switch back and forth from weights to walking with him.

Now what I DO NOT understand are the people who would rather walk on a treadmill than the track. That boggles my mind.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I'm a big outdoors person but can't totally agree with this. Gyms do serve a purpose. I recently joined one with an indoor running track and use it quite frequently. Jogging between sets on the weight equipment is a great workout. Also while the temps outside don't bother me they aren't great for taking a 3 month old on a stroll. I can bring my kid in a stroller and my wife and I switch back and forth from weights to walking with him.

Now what I DO NOT understand are the people who would rather walk on a treadmill than the track. That boggles my mind.
Thats completely understandable if you have a child and share workouts with the wife. But for all the single, young people out there who pay good money to jog on a treadmill while watching TV is goofy as heck. Ill never understand that. I try not to smile while thinking about those people while Im hiking up Toms Thumb. They dont know what theyre missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area