Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:27 AM

18 posts, read 17,699 times

Advertisements

You wont be worried when you are sitting next to your pool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 AM

498 posts, read 543,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Grass lawns provide some heat relief and make it a little more bearable to be outdoors in the summertime.

Try walking barefoot across a desert-landscaped yard, or having a picnic or barbecue on a yard of rocks. Green grass makes a world of difference.

Pools and waterparks are even better sources for heat relief, I can't see putting restrictions on those without a huge public backlash.

Lawns do squat for heat relief, barbecues belong on the patio.

Put some shoes on and you can walk anywhere.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 16,451 times
Sorry. Can't help but LMAO at people defending lawns pools sprinklers etc IN THE FLIPPIN' DESERT! Phoenix metro area is not sustainable and is an abomination doomed to collapse. Might take 5 years, might take 5 decades but it ain't natural. Always cracks me up when we go out to some "ancient ruins" site (eg Casa Grande) and the rangers/docents say things like..."No one knows where the people disappeared to all of a sudden one day!" Um, I know where the ones who didn't die in the heat or from the spiders and snakes etc---they went to where there were trees, water, and non-furnace/oven shelter! Not hard to figure out! Left AZ years ago and have never looked back. Phoenix metro is a great example of all that is "wrong" with sub/urban "thinking."

Old 07-04-2015, 05:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsaraWanderer View Post
Sorry. Can't help but LMAO at people defending lawns pools sprinklers etc IN THE FLIPPIN' DESERT! Phoenix metro area is not sustainable and is an abomination doomed to collapse. Might take 5 years, might take 5 decades but it ain't natural. Always cracks me up when we go out to some "ancient ruins" site (eg Casa Grande) and the rangers/docents say things like..."No one knows where the people disappeared to all of a sudden one day!" Um, I know where the ones who didn't die in the heat or from the spiders and snakes etc---they went to where there were trees, water, and non-furnace/oven shelter! Not hard to figure out! Left AZ years ago and have never looked back. Phoenix metro is a great example of all that is "wrong" with sub/urban "thinking."
Welcome to reality. The vast majority of man's activities are "not sustainable". And "ain't natural". Please provide pictures of the cave you live in with no modern conveniences, showing us the shining example of your living conditions so that we can be in awe what true "sustainable" and "natural" living is all about.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Not talkin' hippie sustainability, talking just plain common sense here. Pray tell--doesn't take much reflection or more than one or two flyovers of that lovely "Valley of the Sun" to see which of these things is not like the others, so to speak. Sorry. That's all the "bait" I'll be taking from my current cave dwelling! EDIT....of course, those ubiquitous fake dyed-aqua-green waterfalls seen at the entrances of so many neighborhoods are completely natural. And the old folks scurrying from airconditioned trailer to clubhouse via golf cart, too....

Last edited by SamsaraWanderer; 07-04-2015 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: .

Old 07-04-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Not talkin' hippie sustainability, talking just plain common sense here. Pray tell--doesn't take much reflection or more than one or two flyovers of that lovely "Valley of the Sun" to see which of these things is not like the others, so to speak. Sorry. That's all the "bait" I'll be taking from my current cave dwelling! EDIT....of course, those ubiquitous fake dyed-aqua-green waterfalls seen at the entrances of so many neighborhoods are completely natural. And the old folks scurrying from airconditioned trailer to clubhouse via golf cart, too....
And the folks scurrying from heated dwellings in the vast majority of the country burning unsustainable fossil burning resources, cars running on....well, never mind. Enjoy your cave.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:36 PM

To each his/her own! Just not my scene---but peace to all y'all whose scene it is!

Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
To each his/her own! Just not my scene---but peace to all y'all whose scene it is!
I couldn't have said it better.

Enjoy Alaska. It is a beautiful state.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I like my green lawn and moved here by accident, not knowing that everyone in Ocotillo must have a green front lawn, both summer and winter. It definitely adds to the lakes, the parkways and makes it a more desirable place to live. It's also reclaimed water and costs nothing. I did not know what that was when I bought this house, but I am grateful for it. Rocks and dirt only add to the dust problem here.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM

273 posts, read 349,971 times
This years El Niño will be one for the ages, possibly rivaling the El Nino of 97-98. All strong El Nino's drench California and the Southwest and this event will be no exception. We will look back at this thread in about six months and realize it was nothing but fear and hate mongering has reservoirs have quickly filled to capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area