Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times

Advertisements

Thanks folks for giving my husband and me so much GOOD information!! (By the way--I fussed at my husband for using the name "bama couple". Here in the South that refers to people who are fans of the University of Alabama---which I am NOT. I graduated from Auburn. )

I feel like a fish out of water moving to Phoenix, but because of your generous responses, I am already starting to feel like Phoenix could be home. I can't wait to visit your beautiful city!! I have never lived outside of the South, but I have read that Phoenix is a great place, and my husband says the people there are awesome. Heat doesn't bother me---but I will miss the cool/rainy autumn days.

My fears about where to live are steeped in my past experiences. For 15 years we raised our family OUT in the suburbs, and I was in my car at least 3 hours each day commuting back and forth. I hated every minute of it. I hope to retire if we move to Phoenix, but 15 years WAY OUT in an area with GREAT schools but NOTHING else to offer---puts me very firmly in the location, location, location camp. We had a beautiful home, but it took of 6 months to sell it---because nobody wanted to live out there.

We would like something urban---eclectic--- and fun. We would like to find an area where we could potentially walk to night life and great restaurants. We just purchased an amazing historic home in Birmingham's diverse Southside community and we can walk anywhere (even at night)---it breaks my heart to give it up---just hoping that the Phoenix area might have some similar "walking communities".

Chandler looks like it could be an option. But, I don't want to be in a community with all "young families". I would like to be in an area where there are more people in our age group. We like to hike/walk/bike and enjoy urban activities (i.e. arts, entertainment, nightlife). My husband is also a golfer. A house with a yard and a pool would also be a must. We wouldn't enjoy living in a condo.

Thanks, again!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times
Id look at something near Old Town Scottsdale if you want to be in the thick of it all, and walking distance to great restaurants, shopping, and art galleries. Its the most "happening" area of Scottsdale, and always buzzing, especially during the winter months when the umpteen thousands of snowbirds descend on the Valley.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 10,942 times
Hmmmm.....it seems my lovely wife has hijacked my first thread. Oh well, since I'm going to move wherever she tells me, ya'll be sure to give her some good information....lol.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:10 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,548,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
The southeast valley is quickly becoming just as upscale as Scottsdale. Fine dining is taking off and new restaurants are opening like crazy and the upscale shopping is already here. Scottsdale still maintains the old west charm while the southeast valley seems more modern (or more California-y if thats a word). Southeast valley has a younger population that places in scottsdale with the same income.

A quick visit should help you decide where you want to be.

EDIT: When I say southeast valley I mean Awahatukee, Chandler and Gilbert
Skipping south Tempe in the process, which is one of the nicest areas of the Valley. That's another place to look.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM

939 posts, read 2,387,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Wife View Post
Thanks folks for giving my husband and me so much GOOD information!! (By the way--I fussed at my husband for using the name "bama couple". Here in the South that refers to people who are fans of the University of Alabama---which I am NOT. I graduated from Auburn. )
Thanks, again!!!!
War Eagle!

When you move, if you like watching games with a crowd, the "Auburn bar" is Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers (Old Town Scottsdale location). My DH and I will be retiring to the area in the next few years, to Carefree or North Scottsdale (north of where you are looking). Good luck with your visit and search.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,367,813 times
If you are interested in historic homes, the neighborhoods of Willo Historic District (no W) and the Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District in Phoenix (both very close to downtown) are two of the premiere neighborhoods of older, beautifully updated homes (median price $350,000).

The neighborhood called Arcadia is newer (I always say it looks like the set of Southern California-based TV shows of the 1960s like My Three Sons and Ozzie and Harrriet) but is in the Camelback corridor and near the historic and still-gorgeous Biltmore Hotel and Resort. It is arguably the city's most popular residential neighborhood by people who can afford it. In one corner of Arcadia is a tiny neighborhood I'm crazy about with the curious name "Cheery Lynn." I found it getting lost once when I was looking for Le Grande Orange (a unique Phoenix grocery store/restaurant/trendy gifts emporium I now ht up on every visit to Phoenix). Now I make a point to drive around the neighborhood every time I'm there just because it's ridiculously cute. I wouldn't say any of the places I'm talking about are particularly child-centric.

People tend to think "new, suburban, beige stucco subdivisions" when they think of Phoenix. Nothing could be further from the truth if you really look around. Here's a comprehensive list of all the neighborhoods in Phoenix that have older, unique homes:
Welcome to Historic Phoenix. Phoenix Arizona's largest and most comprehensive collection of Historic Information and Real Estate for sale.

Of course Old Town Scottsdale remains an option for walking to nightlife. And honestly, take a look at the newly developed area in Tempe around Tempe Town Lake. It's beautiful, shady, and often waterfront. What's going in there in terms of development is very un-student-like, even though it's close to ASU, which has many amenities attractive to the entire community.

Home Tour 2013 Photo Gallery | Willo Historic District
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/.../Phoenix/Willo
Encanto-Palmcroft Historic Preservation Association | Phoenix, Arizona
La Grande Orange Grocery: HOME
City of Tempe, AZ : Tempe Town Lake

Please note I'm not a Realtor and I don't have any association with the websites I've posted. I'm just a fan of the places people don't normally think of when someone says "Phoenix, Arizona."

Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 PM

755 posts, read 1,122,951 times
Phoenix is very suburban in nature. Very. You'd have to be looking in a much farther-out place to be far from shopping and other conveniences. Chandler, Ahwatukee, Tempe might look "far out" on a map of the Phoenix area, but that's not really how things are here. These are cities in their own rights.

We had visited Phoenix many times before deciding to buy a home. But we still didn't really understand how vast the valley is until we started looking.

For night life etc. I'd agree with above--Old Town or Tempe. As I said, in any of the areas you are considering, you can't be far from shopping in general, but if you're talking high end designer shopping and exclusive boutiques, yes Scottsdale is the place. For me, that's a destination a few times a year, a lunch with friends or something I can drive a little farther for periodically--not something I need to be close to all the time. I do wish we had more trendy local restaurants in our immediate area out here in Goodyear, but again there are plenty of good places to eat and a fancy dinner is an occasional thing for us with kids still in the house. For you that's surely more important.

I love old tree-lined streets, historic houses--particularly in colonial and Victorian styles. That's my thing. Phoenix is nothing like that. And yet I really love Phoenix too. But I think the Sonoran desert is absolutely beautiful just for what it is. On several threads posters new to the area have talked about the need for "green", and generally the discussion points them toward the developments with more green spaces (and some older neighborhoods) or to having greenery in their back yards (which I do, and it's enough for me).

It will be a big change, and if you don't like the desert it might be best to find one of the greener areas.

I find people open and friendly but not nosy in the valley, and I love that so many people are transplants which is a commonality immediately.

I even don't mind driving on the interstate--even in traffic--compared to the same distance in L.A., for example. The interstates here are well kept and generally clean, and aside from the fact that I find drivers here a little aggressive/fast, being on the interstates is just more pleasant in Phoenix than in other metro areas we've experienced.

Get a house close to the things you love best about the valley! For you it sounds like that might be some particular part of Scottsdale...? For me, I just needed to be reasonably close to shopping & conveniences, surrounded by the beauty of the desert, in a quiet, tidy, safe neighborhood, and to have a resort-like back yard. I wanted a house with some architectural interest, but ended up prioritizing location over style. We had dozens of places to choose from. When we found our spot we knew it, and I'm sure you will too.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,782,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_couple View Post
I will do exactly as ya'll suggest. If I decide to take the job, it is likely I will be out in Phoenix for several months as my wife officially retires and sells our current house. Fortunately, the company will buy it for the appraised value if we can't sell it, so we're in good shape there. Unfortunately, it's a 105 year old home in Birmingham (my wife loves the history of the old girl as Margaret Mitchell lived there for a while) with a guest house we're renting to a wonderful lady.....who I like even more as she pays my mortgage. Probably won't grab that brass ring again!

We've talked a lot about this and are looking at it like a 10 year adventure. We are looking forward to getting on with it, and if people are as friendly as those of you who took time to help us here, we will be among friends.
In reading through your posts I think you and your wife would be happier in chandler, Gilbert... Maybe Ahwahtukee. The people there are friendlier and you get a lot more bang for your buck. I've lived in both scottsdale (north Scottsdale) and chandler and would choose chandler a million times over again if I had to choose. Though scottsdale does seem friendlier to the 50 plus crowd so maybe you will find different.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 AM

9 posts, read 10,942 times
Paige65.....as you likely realize, we are what is called in Alabama a "mixed marriage". I went to THE University of Alabama while my wife went to Auburn. We're great for most of the year....but when football season starts....

I am glad to hear there are places where people meet to watch games, and I'll have to look and see if I can find a bar where everyone is wearing Crimson on Saturdays.....since I think Janet will be with you at Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers.

Everyone has been so helpful. We're trying to set up a visit in the next few weeks so Janet can get a taste of the desert and now, with ya'lls help, we've narrowed the focus of our housing search. Thanks again for all your input, and if anyone else has suggestions, we would be most grateful.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Wife View Post

I feel like a fish out of water moving to Phoenix, but because of your generous responses, I am already starting to feel like Phoenix could be home. I can't wait to visit your beautiful city!! I have never lived outside of the South, but I have read that Phoenix is a great place, and my husband says the people there are awesome. Heat doesn't bother me---but I will miss the cool/rainy autumn days.

My fears about where to live are steeped in my past experiences. For 15 years we raised our family OUT in the suburbs, and I was in my car at least 3 hours each day commuting back and forth. I hated every minute of it. I hope to retire if we move to Phoenix, but 15 years WAY OUT in an area with GREAT schools but NOTHING else to offer---puts me very firmly in the location, location, location camp. We had a beautiful home, but it took of 6 months to sell it---because nobody wanted to live out there.

We would like something urban---eclectic--- and fun. We would like to find an area where we could potentially walk to night life and great restaurants. We just purchased an amazing historic home in Birmingham's diverse Southside community and we can walk anywhere (even at night)---it breaks my heart to give it up---just hoping that the Phoenix area might have some similar "walking communities".

Chandler looks like it could be an option. But, I don't want to be in a community with all "young families". I would like to be in an area where there are more people in our age group. We like to hike/walk/bike and enjoy urban activities (i.e. arts, entertainment, nightlife). My husband is also a golfer. A house with a yard and a pool would also be a must. We wouldn't enjoy living in a condo.

Thanks, again!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_couple View Post
Paige65.....as you likely realize, we are what is called in Alabama a "mixed marriage". I went to THE University of Alabama while my wife went to Auburn. We're great for most of the year....but when football season starts....

I am glad to hear there are places where people meet to watch games, and I'll have to look and see if I can find a bar where everyone is wearing Crimson on Saturdays.....since I think Janet will be with you at Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers.

Everyone has been so helpful. We're trying to set up a visit in the next few weeks so Janet can get a taste of the desert and now, with ya'lls help, we've narrowed the focus of our housing search. Thanks again for all your input, and if anyone else has suggestions, we would be most grateful.
Y'all come now, y'hear? I ain't the official Welcome Wagon, but y'all'll be most welcome over here in a much warmer and most certainly bee-yoo-tee-ful Arizona! Y'all'll? Did I just coin a word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area