Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,641,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
War Eagle!

When you move, if you like watching games with a crowd, the "Auburn bar" is Cold Beer and Cheeseburgers (Old Town Scottsdale location). My DH and I will be retiring to the area in the next few years, to Carefree or North Scottsdale (north of where you are looking). Good luck with your visit and search.
This Albuquerque resident who travels frequently to PHX also thanks you for this Auburn tip. War Eagle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM

939 posts, read 2,386,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_couple View Post
Paige65.....as you likely realize, we are what is called in Alabama a "mixed marriage". I went to THE University of Alabama while my wife went to Auburn. We're great for most of the year....but when football season starts....
Please send your wife my sympathies.

Good luck with your visit!

Old 07-15-2015, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 10,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Please send your wife my sympathies.

Good luck with your visit!
LOL....Thanks, and ....."Roll Tide"

Old 07-15-2015, 03:50 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,337,992 times
Don't hone in on one area until you visit. You may be in love with the idea of Scottsdale, but once you get here, you may fall in love with an area you never even considered before!

Old 07-16-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Don't hone in on one area until you visit. You may be in love with the idea of Scottsdale, but once you get here, you may fall in love with an area you never even considered before!
Yea, fortunately you can now use Zillow, Realtor.com or Trulia and sift through all of the listings. We've seen several beautiful homes (some have putting greens!!!....so cool....) in Chandler. We plan on trying to drive from the places we seem to be drawn to my office in the morning during rush hour and lay out a 30 minute area around it. We can then narrow that down using everyone's opinions here as a guide.

Thanks again to everyone's help, and for the guy/gal who had some fun with our use of "ya'll".....we do have Southern accents. We also have Southern ways embedded into our souls. We take dinners to our sick friends. We go to church. We respect and love our neighbors, whatever their race, religion or sexual orientation. I own a pick up truck, it makes it easier to help our friends move things when they need it. We'll hold open the door for you when you see us at a store and (gasp) speak to you, whether we know you or not. It will take us a while to stop ordering sweet tea when we go out. We won't plant a Confederate Flag in the yard, yet we love our Southern heritage. We own guns, but you'll never see them unless you're sneaking into our home. We still say, "yes ma'am" and "no sir" even though we're in our 50's. We love college football and (shock) don't care for NASCAR. We do love fried pies and grits, but correctly use utensils when we eat. We call every carbonated beverage a coke....can't explain that one, but we do and feel pork is the only proper meat to barbecue.

We hope ya'll will overlook these shortcomings and accept us in your neighborhood....

Old 07-16-2015, 08:22 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Quote:

Exactly. There are some better kept secrets around here that don't get the publicity that Scottsdale does. Take your time and look around.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,337,992 times
Quote:
Yea, fortunately you can now use Zillow, Realtor.com or Trulia and sift through all of the listings. We've seen several beautiful homes (some have putting greens!!!....so cool....) in Chandler. We plan on trying to drive from the places we seem to be drawn to my office in the morning during rush hour and lay out a 30 minute area around it. We can then narrow that down using everyone's opinions here as a guide.

Thanks again to everyone's help, and for the guy/gal who had some fun with our use of "ya'll".....we do have Southern accents. We also have Southern ways embedded into our souls. We take dinners to our sick friends. We go to church. We respect and love our neighbors, whatever their race, religion or sexual orientation. I own a pick up truck, it makes it easier to help our friends move things when they need it. We'll hold open the door for you when you see us at a store and (gasp) speak to you, whether we know you or not. It will take us a while to stop ordering sweet tea when we go out. We won't plant a Confederate Flag in the yard, yet we love our Southern heritage. We own guns, but you'll never see them unless you're sneaking into our home. We still say, "yes ma'am" and "no sir" even though we're in our 50's. We love college football and (shock) don't care for NASCAR. We do love fried pies and grits, but correctly use utensils when we eat. We call every carbonated beverage a coke....can't explain that one, but we do and feel pork is the only proper meat to barbecue.

We hope ya'll will overlook these shortcomings and accept us in your neighborhood....
Stop saying y'all and I'll think about it The rest of that doesn't bother me in the least.

(Just kidding!)

Old 07-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Stop saying y'all and I'll think about it The rest of that doesn't bother me in the least.

(Just kidding!)
After a lifetime in the Heart of Dixie, I'm guessing the "Ya'll" is embedded too deep to extract. Flying out the 2nd week in August for the wife to look around. It's been in the high 90's for the past couple weeks here with 90+% humidity, so I don't think even the August Phoenix heat will deter my wife. She claims humidity does awful things to her hair.....since I have very little left, I can't comment on that one.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:14 PM

755 posts, read 1,122,310 times
Nothing wrong with a southern accent.

One of the things I love most about the Phoenix area is that we meet people from all over. And not only are so many people transplants and very accepting of "outsiders", but most of the people we meet have chosen to be in Phoenix because they want to be, same as us. So it's a great, positive jumping off point; gives us something in common to talk about (why we came here, what we like) and plenty of differences to keep conversations interesting.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:45 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,032,262 times
We'll work on that once you get here. Eventually you'll speak like the rest of us, with no accent whatsoever. And that's just the way I like it

Quote:
After a lifetime in the Heart of Dixie, I'm guessing the "Ya'll" is embedded too deep to extract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area