Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 AM

3,301 posts, read 3,957,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP come here in the winter when the over 500,000 winter visitors come to stay from Nov-May.
Been there many times that time of year. It's nowhere close to LA traffic. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:20 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
The traffic is worse here in winter. LA bad? No, not really. And yes, news flash, it's hot here in the summer, some tolerate it better than others. Again, everyone's got an opinion. Not sure we needed yet another thread on either of these issues for yet more opinions.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:04 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,094,709 times
Why are there so many Chicagoland transplants to the Phoenix area? I've always wondered about that. I would think that it has to be a good enough number for a Portillos to justify opening in Tempe.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 AM

498 posts, read 544,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Phoenix traffic can be bad during morning and afternoon crush hour times, claiming it's non-existent is a huge lie.

It's senseless to compare traffic in Phoenix to traffic in Los Angeles because you're comparing a metropolitan area of four million to a megaplex of over twelve million, of course Los Angeles is going to have worse traffic because there is more people there.

As for the heat I totally agree, this is the hottest time of year and it's not too enjoyable to be outdoors unless you're in a pool or at a waterpark.

Have you considered that maybe traffic doesn't seem bad in Phoenix because of the time of year? People don't like to stick around as much when it's hot so traffic is naturally a little lighter now than in the wintertime.
You still crying about the miniscule amount of traffic in the valley? Maybe the heat has gotten to you

Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,318,244 times
Opinions and truth are 2 different things. Your thread title claims "truth" but it is really opinion. You are completely entitled to yours, of course.

As for traffic this time of year Vs winter? It's much lighter now, especially with the combination of snowbirds not being here AND school not being in session. My drive to work got easier once the heat settled in (and the snowbirds migrated) and even easier still once school let out for the summer.

This isn't LA. As someone pointed out, that's a much bigger metro area, no comparison. It seems the only one in this thread who is trying to compare the two is you. No, this isn't LA, yes, there is traffic. Truth.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-16-2015 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: orphaned - quoted post deleted

Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Why are there so many Chicagoland transplants to the Phoenix area? I've always wondered about that. I would think that it has to be a good enough number for a Portillos to justify opening in Tempe.
A lot of it is weather driven. I remember, though, when I went to ASU, that the second highest number of out of state students, after CA, came from the Chicagoland area. So, maybe a lot of them stayed here.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:47 PM

226 posts, read 227,902 times
Summers here are NOT as bad as everyone makes them out to be. It's a dry heat. Even right now, in the middle of "monsoon", um dust, season, it's rather comfortable in the shade. And besides, by Halloween the 100 degree heat will be over. We're halfway through the summer season.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,634,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Lake Havasu and Tucson have the top 2 best air qualities followed by Honolulu at 3, Redding CA at 4 and Colorado Springs at 5.....Phoenix is the WORST followed by Bakersfield CA at 2...Both cities surrounded by dust to the south and seldom benefit from summer monsoons. Add the nearly 6 million people here in a bowl shaped valley...there you have it...I leave Maricopa County and the air is pristine with mountains clear 100 miles away...Yet here, the Estrellas and Superstitions are in a haze more often than not...Blame geography and the ever growing population approaching 6 mil.
Phoenix isn't approaching 6 million. We're at about 4.6 million. Still, I agree about our pollution. It's pretty poor. I can still see the mountains 9 out of 10 days. It could be worse. LA was worse at one time than Phoenix will ever be. Many other Mountain West cities have horrible air pollution, especially during the winter due to inversions.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:19 PM

18 posts, read 20,402 times
For comparison, Sunday July 12th, I checked Weather Underground in the afternoon. It was 92 here in Minneapolis, 103 with the heat index. At the same time it was 101, 98 with the heat index in Phoenix.

I'm willing to bet even if the heat indexes were the same, I would have felt cooler in Phoenix. The humidity/temps here this week are absolutely miserable this week and are going to continue for another 5 days or so.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,674,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You think only Chicago transplants go to Portillo's? We must have a lot of New Yorkers here; there are Grimaldi's locations all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area