Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,963,727 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Refer to TOS for methods of providing mod feedback

I'm a 57 year old guy that grew up in Chicago, but lived in the Tempe/Scottsdale area from 1980-1990 (went to school, stayed for a few years). I've lived in So Cal since then (about 25 years) but travel back to Phoenix a few times a year to visit friends, or for business.

I was there this past Monday/Tuesday on business.

First let me talk about the traffic (actually lack there of). It's nonexistent. There is no traffic in Phoenix. Anybody that says "Phoenix is getting to be just like Los Angeles" has clearly never been to Los Angeles

Next up, the heat. It sucks. Don't let anybody fool you, it's hot. When people say "it's a dry heat", my reply is, "so is my toaster oven". It was "only" about 108/109 the last few days, but it was unbearable.

Now you have it, the truth about the traffic and heat in Phoenix.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-16-2015 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: Use DM for moderator comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 PM

416 posts, read 590,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
First let me talk about the traffic (actually lack there of). It's nonexistent. There is no traffic in Phoenix. Anybody that says "Phoenix is getting to be just like Los Angeles" has clearly never been to Los Angeles
I've lived in San Bernardino for several years and spent a lot of time in LA, and a Phoenix-area native that finally left because - yes, indeed - Phoenix is becoming Little Los Angeles. I think you're the one who hasn't been anywhere relevant in Phoenix, because hell yes, there is traffic in the Valley. It's geographically smaller than L.A. and a younger city, but it is becoming just as bad, especially with the hordes fleeing California.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,729,356 times
Lake Havasu and Tucson have the top 2 best air qualities followed by Honolulu at 3, Redding CA at 4 and Colorado Springs at 5.....Phoenix is the WORST followed by Bakersfield CA at 2...Both cities surrounded by dust to the south and seldom benefit from summer monsoons. Add the nearly 6 million people here in a bowl shaped valley...there you have it...I leave Maricopa County and the air is pristine with mountains clear 100 miles away...Yet here, the Estrellas and Superstitions are in a haze more often than not...Blame geography and the ever growing population approaching 6 mil.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
The "truth" about the heat and traffic is nothing more than your opinion, which is fine, as everyone here at C-D has opinions about something. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:05 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,511,971 times
Quote:

I'm a 57 year old guy that grew up in Chicago, but lived in the Tempe/Scottsdale area from 1980-1990 (went to school, stayed for a few years). I've lived in So Cal since then (about 25 years) but travel back to Phoenix a few times a year to visit friends, or for business.

Next up, the heat. It sucks. Don't let anybody fool you, it's hot. When people say "it's a dry heat", my reply is, "so is my toaster oven". It was "only" about 108/109 the last few days, but it was unbearable.

Phoenix traffic can be bad during morning and afternoon crush hour times, claiming it's non-existent is a huge lie.

It's senseless to compare traffic in Phoenix to traffic in Los Angeles because you're comparing a metropolitan area of four million to a megaplex of over twelve million, of course Los Angeles is going to have worse traffic because there is more people there.

As for the heat I totally agree, this is the hottest time of year and it's not too enjoyable to be outdoors unless you're in a pool or at a waterpark.

Have you considered that maybe traffic doesn't seem bad in Phoenix because of the time of year? People don't like to stick around as much when it's hot so traffic is naturally a little lighter now than in the wintertime.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-16-2015 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Removed quoted text that was moderated

Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,781,466 times
OP come here in the winter when the over 500,000 winter visitors come to stay from Nov-May.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:59 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,740,821 times
Quote:

Dude, you forgot the mic drop!!!!

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-16-2015 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Removed quoted text that was moderated

Old 07-16-2015, 06:47 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Dude, you forgot the mic drop!!!!
Thank you for setting the record straight. We are less congested and hotter than LA. Who would have guessed?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 AM

30,637 posts, read 19,347,501 times
yeah the traffic in Phoenix is a joke compared to any other city near its size. The heat, well I think a better comparison would be somewhere like Houston, Dallas, Miami...which is worse? In my opinion, Phoenix isn't as bad because I hate humidity...compared to SoCal, of course the heat in Phoenix sux for 4 months.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:46 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,628,313 times
Moderator cut: removed comments about moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Thank you for setting the record straight. We are less congested and hotter than LA. Who would have guessed?
Moderator cut: removed comments about moderating

And who knew that LA was congested, and that Phoenix was hot?

Last edited by yellowbelle; 07-16-2015 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Thank you for the feedback. ;) The quoted text has been removed though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area