Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
And who wants to carry that? I love my hydropack! I fill it up with ice and water so it stays cold for the whole hike and my hands stay free.
Right?! I only use my Camelbak when I hike, I refuse to carry anything in my hands in case I slip and fall. You want two hands to help break your fall. Plus its just awkward having to carry a water bottle. Not to mention the water is probably 100+ degrees by the time they get done with their hike. I dont know about you, but I loathe drinking warm water, especially when its scorching hot outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Right?! I only use my Camelbak when I hike, I refuse to carry anything in my hands in case I slip and fall. You want two hands to help break your fall. Plus its just awkward having to carry a water bottle. Not to mention the water is probably 100+ degrees by the time they get done with their hike. I dont know about you, but I loathe drinking warm water, especially when its scorching hot outside.

I do carry my walking stick (a must for me when I hike), but I am using that, it's not just something I have to hold on to.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:06 PM

488 posts, read 859,360 times
So, what places do you recommend for a novice? I just moved here a week ago (yay!) and when it cools down a bit, I'm eager to start hiking to experience all the beautiful scenery that enticed me to move here.

I had been looking at this place Gateway Trailhead

Is this a good start? Any other recommendations?

Old 08-11-2015, 03:27 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Desert Classic Trail, in the desert behind (south of) South Mountain. It's not on the mountain, but there's some up and down over little hills in the desert for good exercise. Or, Trail 100 (Christensen Trail?) in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve. You can find maps and other info for these on the internet. Here: https://www.phoenix.gov/parks/trails/locations

Old 08-11-2015, 03:44 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
So, what places do you recommend for a novice? I just moved here a week ago (yay!) and when it cools down a bit, I'm eager to start hiking to experience all the beautiful scenery that enticed me to move here.

There are a lot of places around the valley that list trails based on difficulty, length, and elevation.

For instance, this is McDowell Mt Park's map. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...owell-8x11.pdf

This is a list of the Maricopa County park maps
Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

This seems to be a good site after a quick glance
Hiking near Phoenix - Best Hikes, Guides, and Trail Maps | EveryTrail

Old 08-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There are a lot of places around the valley that list trails based on difficulty, length, and elevation.

For instance, this is McDowell Mt Park's map. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...owell-8x11.pdf

This is a list of the Maricopa County park maps
Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

This seems to be a good site after a quick glance
Hiking near Phoenix - Best Hikes, Guides, and Trail Maps | EveryTrail
More good resources. When the weather gets a bit nicer, there are trails of all types, all over the Valley!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:40 PM

81 posts, read 83,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post

Gateway Trail is lovely. We didn't make it all the way around the loop but hope to next time.

Definitely check out the Boyce Thompson Arboretum out east on 60. We were blown away by the gorgeous vegetation - cactus gardens, a eucalyptus forest, even a grove of pomegranate trees. The main loop is a very manageable hike for a novice (which I am too) with some good shady spots here and there.

If you don't mind, post some of the places you discover and like. We're always looking for new places to explore, and given that I'm out of shape and struggle with the summer heat, short easy hikes are especially welcome.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:18 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,583 times
Agreed. We have spent enough of our tax dollars fishing nitwit tourists from the midwest off the mountain.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,267,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Most of the time my hikes are short. 2-5 mi. I just put a 16-20oz bottle in my hip pocket. If I'm hydrated when I start I've never had any problems. Even if I empty the bottle before I finish. Only on hikes of more than 2-3hrs will I carry more.

That said I tackled Camelback Mtn a few years ago. It was a July or August around 1PM. My bottle was half full when I started. 2/3 of the way to the top I emptied it. Looked at what was remaining, checked how I felt internally. I think I could have made it to the top. But it wouldn't be fun. Turned around and went back.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Most of the time my hikes are short. 2-5 mi. I just put a 16-20oz bottle in my hip pocket. If I'm hydrated when I start I've never had any problems. Even if I empty the bottle before I finish. Only on hikes of more than 2-3hrs will I carry more.

That said I tackled Camelback Mtn a few years ago. It was a July or August around 1PM. My bottle was half full when I started. 2/3 of the way to the top I emptied it. Looked at what was remaining, checked how I felt internally. I think I could have made it to the top. But it wouldn't be fun. Turned around and went back.

And that's the trick on any hike... turn back BEFORE you get too hot, too tired, or too cold, depending on what the conditions are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area