Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,999,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I do carry my walking stick (a must for me when I hike), but I am using that, it's not just something I have to hold on to.
I use a hiking stick on flat ground, when Im out there with noone else around (can be a great weapon). But when Im hiking steep trails, the hiking stick becomes a hindrance. Many places on Camelback require two hands for scrambling up the rocks, and the hiking stick gets in the way, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,348,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I use a hiking stick on flat ground, when Im out there with noone else around (can be a great weapon). But when Im hiking steep trails, the hiking stick becomes a hindrance. Many places on Camelback require two hands for scrambling up the rocks, and the hiking stick gets in the way, IMO.
I have knee and lower back issues so going up and down inclines I MUST have my stick. I could not likely navigate without injury without it. If I am going on just a flat walk, I don't take it.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
So, what places do you recommend for a novice? I just moved here a week ago (yay!) and when it cools down a bit, I'm eager to start hiking to experience all the beautiful scenery that enticed me to move here.

I had been looking at this place Gateway Trailhead

Is this a good start? Any other recommendations?
The Phoenix Mountains Preserve has a nice, long, looping trail (trail #101 I believe) that is almost all flat, and will take you through the hills back there. Just be warned, there are always a few spots on the trail that seem to be infested with bees. I dont know if theyre Africanized or not, but I just double back and get the heck out.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:58 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,401,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There are a lot of places around the valley that list trails based on difficulty, length, and elevation.

For instance, this is McDowell Mt Park's map. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...owell-8x11.pdf

This is a list of the Maricopa County park maps
Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

This seems to be a good site after a quick glance
Hiking near Phoenix - Best Hikes, Guides, and Trail Maps | EveryTrail
That's a great list of resources. Thanks!
When I'm asked by visitors where to hike, I usually tell them to try the mountain across from Tapatio on 7th street. They can walk up and down as far as they want and get a feel for hiking in this climate. There are enough other hikers and enough flat spots for them to rest or get help if they overestimated their abilities. I tell them if they can hike that, then they can try some more challenging trails. It's good practice and good exercise.

Hey - we could adopt the TSA color codes for hiking signs. Green is "anyone can walk this," Yellow is, "You need to at least be able to run up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing," Orange is, "If you try this, give yourself time and have a buddy in better shape than you," Red is "This ain't Everest, but it may as well be in 112º weather... so If we have to rescue you, the fee will be $1,000."

Old 08-12-2015, 03:14 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,638,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
That's a great list of resources. Thanks!
When I'm asked by visitors where to hike, I usually tell them to try the mountain across from Tapatio on 7th street. They can walk up and down as far as they want and get a feel for hiking in this climate. There are enough other hikers and enough flat spots for them to rest or get help if they overestimated their abilities. I tell them if they can hike that, then they can try some more challenging trails. It's good practice and good exercise.

Hey - we could adopt the TSA color codes for hiking signs. Green is "anyone can walk this," Yellow is, "You need to at least be able to run up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing," Orange is, "If you try this, give yourself time and have a buddy in better shape than you," Red is "This ain't Everest, but it may as well be in 112º weather... so If we have to rescue you, the fee will be $1,000."

Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 AM

267 posts, read 695,051 times
Something that might actually be useful...
trail ratings:
Phoenix officials rate mountain trails for difficulty

Old 08-23-2015, 09:19 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,638,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
trail ratings:
Agree that having some sort of a rating system for novices is better than none at all.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
trail ratings:
Good link, thanks! Nice to see Camelback rated as "difficult". Now if we could just prevent people from dying up there, we'd be all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area