Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 01:47 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed recently that the City of Phoenix has been at the Cholla Trail trailhead lately? They have a small tent set up, complete with water, and the necessary warning signs about hiking Camelback. Im all for this! Its about time they stepped up to warn tourists and out-of-shape hikers about the dangers of the mountain. How often do we hear about helicopter evacuations on the mountain because people were unprepared? Or how often do we have to hear about corpses being taken off the mountain?

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that the city was also going around to local hotels to advise them to stop telling tourists to hike Camelback as a "must do" on their visit to the Valley.

ITS ABOUT DANG TIME!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 03:05 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Yes, it is. Happy to hear all this.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:25 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Ill never forget 2 years ago I parked on Invergordon and saw a tourist get out of her car with two other ladies (Oregon plates), and start walking up towards the Cholla Trail (along the street that leads to the trail, actually). Keep in mind these ladies were probably mid-50s, and *ahem* overweight. I sat in my car for awhile, took a phone call, gathered my stuff, and began my trek. Im talkin I left a good 10 minutes or so after they headed off. I got to the trailhead and they were sitting there on the curb, huffin and puffin, and the one says to me "how far is it to the top?" Seriously? hahaha The one was laughing and saying "they dont tell you in the brochure that hiking the street up to the trail is super tough." I just told em like it is... dont even attempt. My mother in law wanted to hike Camelback when she visited, I flat out told her its tough and she wont likely make it 1/8 the way. Some people just need to know!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:29 PM

7,196 posts, read 9,267,072 times
What I tell people who are going to do something like this is, "You can turn around any time. Don't feel like you HAVE to complete the hike." If I'm actually hiking with them and see they're wearing out I'll suggest going back myself first.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Has anyone noticed recently that the City of Phoenix has been at the Cholla Trail trailhead lately? They have a small tent set up, complete with water, and the necessary warning signs about hiking Camelback. Im all for this! Its about time they stepped up to warn tourists and out-of-shape hikers about the dangers of the mountain. How often do we hear about helicopter evacuations on the mountain because people were unprepared? Or how often do we have to hear about corpses being taken off the mountain?

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear that the city was also going around to local hotels to advise them to stop telling tourists to hike Camelback as a "must do" on their visit to the Valley.

ITS ABOUT DANG TIME!
I'm happy to hear that approach being taken rather than restricting access, especially for those of us who are conditioned for it. People who vacation here often don't understand that the heat is not just an inconvenience, but it can be deadly. The combination of heat, sun, relative lack of humidity, and the lack of shade can be deadly.

Still, I would think that bringing enough water is pretty self explanatory, but I guess not.

Other good places for notification would be at the Phoenix airport. There are all sorts of things about local attractions, and the gateway for most tourists would be a perfect place. I have never seen any information about that at the airport, at least not where it is easily visible.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
More wussification! Eventually they'll pave it and put in lighting and water fountains.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:12 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,365,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
More wussification! Eventually they'll pave it and put in lighting and water fountains.
Or a chairlift/gondola lift and charge money!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,077,889 times
do they have the tent/water thing over at the Echo Canyon TH, too?

Old 08-08-2015, 02:19 PM

267 posts, read 693,776 times
It might be worthwhile to divert marginal hikers to more achievable hills and scenic places... Hayden Butte next to ASU, Papago Park, Piestewa, etc.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:50 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,622,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Or a chairlift/gondola lift and charge money!
What's next, jeep tours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area