Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:14 AM

595 posts, read 1,258,790 times

Advertisements

thud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:31 AM

123 posts, read 175,857 times
There are areas of the phx area where something like that may be welcomed, but they are few and far between. Peoria is not one if them.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,058,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
I have only recently mentioned my disability in the hopes of getting a break. It seems the more honest I am the more I am treated like a fool.
First off, as someone with a disability and a son who's disabled as well I can tell you that you can do and get better things out of life. You have to fight for it though. My son (who is autistic) just graduated college with a BA degree. It took 5 years and was hard at times but he did it contrary to what many thought he'd be able to do. Will he find work? Don't know that as of right now but he's certainly trying.
You are aware that SSDI is for disabled people right? It's easier to get now than it EVER has been so have you investigated that? Once you get SSDI you are eligible for all sorts of state services including Vocational Rehab which can help you get on your feet.
Can you drive? Are you good at that? There's income to be made from simply driving even if you don't own a car.
Can you see yourself managing an apartment complex? Most give free rent and pay for that job.

Fight for what you want, if some church or "charity" doesn't want to help or doesn't give a path for moving up to self sufficiency then don't bother with them, I NEVER have as I see them as groups who make a living on the backs of people who are down and out already, in other words USERS of the worst sort wrapping their bad deeds in the blanket of "helping the downtrodden and poor".
Yeah right, helping themselves to feel good...

Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 AM

Default what are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
There were 3 job fairs available today - so there are plenty of jobs -goodwill has a career center to help you with resume and job interviews etc so I'd use them for that. There are already apts available for 300+/mo - so you can do it - many people rebuild themselves especially women who took off from great careers to raise their kids only to realize limited opportunities for when they returned to work market - but don't spend your energy on the downside and look at the potential - good luck!
I'e been ignored and mocked by recruiters who say their grandmother has my name and peak to me in a sing song voice reserved for those special times.

Did you see the above post about goodwill and inflated salaries?

I don't know of any decent $300 +/- places so I'm guessing you're googling and embellishing.

I made great money after the birth of my son and in a completely different field after returning all without a college degree.

I'm still me but the main difference is being single vs family. Now I'm treated like a spinster/cat lady. No offense o spinsters or cat lovers.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy1496 View Post
There are areas of the phx area where something like that may be welcomed, but they are few and far between. Peoria is not one if them.
The area of FL seems nice...I know affordability tends to attract dishonest people but I honestly just want to live below my means and not have to live in a cave,

New mobile homes rival stick built for quality...I barely missed out on a $350 Apache Junction but was told you legally can't break leases and that started the nightmare.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
First off, as someone with a disability and a son who's disabled as well I can tell you that you can do and get better things out of life. You have to fight for it though. My son (who is autistic) just graduated college with a BA degree. It took 5 years and was hard at times but he did it contrary to what many thought he'd be able to do. Will he find work? Don't know that as of right now but he's certainly trying.
You are aware that SSDI is for disabled people right? It's easier to get now than it EVER has been so have you investigated that? Once you get SSDI you are eligible for all sorts of state services including Vocational Rehab which can help you get on your feet.
Can you drive? Are you good at that? There's income to be made from simply driving even if you don't own a car.
Can you see yourself managing an apartment complex? Most give free rent and pay for that job.

Fight for what you want, if some church or "charity" doesn't want to help or doesn't give a path for moving up to self sufficiency then don't bother with them, I NEVER have as I see them as groups who make a living on the backs of people who are down and out already, in other words USERS of the worst sort wrapping their bad deeds in the blanket of "helping the downtrodden and poor".
Yeah right, helping themselves to feel good...
I got turned down by SS and UCP (which will not hire me for an entry level job).

I am a careful but not skilled driver. I'm too lenient and am lacking in people skills (too nice/people try to take advantage)

I'm trying to follow up on positive suggestions but those who could give me an "in" tend to ignore or send me on a wild goose chase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area