Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 AM

54 posts, read 204,744 times

Advertisements

Looking for any tips on the best way to get rid of about 8-10 tons of landscape rock in my back yard. Previous owner picked out a ugly shade so want to get rid of it and start fresh!

Also while on that topic, any west valley places to check out for cheap pavers aside from lowes or home depot?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
A shovel and a wheelbarrow...

Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM

54 posts, read 204,744 times
haha!

As i posted this i just thought about craigslist..... some landscapers out there should enjoy free rock!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:41 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,560 times
You could also see if freecycle.org has a voice in your area

Old 10-13-2015, 11:50 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
If you're just getting a different shade of crushed rock/granite, have you considered just leaving what you have and putting the new color over it? Save you some time/effort. Plus you'll have some extra depth of rock to keep more weeds at bay.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:59 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
If you're just getting a different shade of crushed rock/granite, have you considered just leaving what you have and putting the new color over it? Save you some time/effort. Plus you'll have some extra depth of rock to keep more weeds at bay.
If OP truly wants to change the color and look don't do this. Over time the various gradations in the top layer of new rock can settle and mix with the underlying rock eventually showing the two colors.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM

I see this sort of thing listed on craigslist a lot. Free rock...just come and get it yourself.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
If OP truly wants to change the color and look don't do this. Over time the various gradations in the top layer of new rock can settle and mix with the underlying rock eventually showing the two colors.
I see what you're saying. The only reason I mention this is in another house in the valley we used to own, the previous owner did just this. In the 5+ years we were there(and who knows how long the layer was there before we bought that house), we never saw the other layer/color poke through though perhaps in time it would have. The only reason I knew another type/layer was there was when I dug a hole for a plant. I think the key is to make sure the new layer is thick enough.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I see what you're saying. The only reason I mention this is in another house in the valley we used to own, the previous owner did just this. In the 5+ years we were there(and who knows how long the layer was there before we bought that house), we never saw the other layer/color poke through though perhaps in time it would have. The only reason I knew another type/layer was there was when I dug a hole for a plant. I think the key is to make sure the new layer is thick enough.
Yeah if it's thick enough and on a flat area it might not ever show through. In the front of my house I have a bit of a slope and just from dragging my trash cans through the area it can wear down to dirt pretty fast. I'll rake it back up and the process will repeat. If I had two colors there it would be perfectly blended by now.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Yeah if it's thick enough and on a flat area it might not ever show through. In the front of my house I have a bit of a slope and just from dragging my trash cans through the area it can wear down to dirt pretty fast. I'll rake it back up and the process will repeat. If I had two colors there it would be perfectly blended by now.
Good point. And if one has a dog or kid(s) running around, that could kick up the rocks. I get the feeling the OP hates this color enough to perhaps be bothered that it still even exists at any level on their property, even if it remains hidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area