Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 09:14 PM

34 posts, read 52,858 times

Advertisements

Need a bit of advice Im moving from CA to the Phoenix area.I wont be able to fly out there til December to get a feel for theneighborhoods. But I have been looking at home in the 85306 area which is off51 ave, between W. Greenway Rd. and W. Thunderbird Rd. They appearto be homes from the mid 80’s, just want to know if it is a decent neighborhoodor if it is something to stay away from.
My main goals are I have to be within 10 minute drive of Midwestern University. 3bed 2 bath, pool, 1500+ sq ft. So there are a few homes in this area that fit that build and are in my budget. Any other areas to look at please let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 07:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,044 times
It's not bad, we had a thread recently on 43/Ave and Thunderbird you might want to pull up since it's only a mile away.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
It's not bad, we had a thread recently on 43/Ave and Thunderbird you might want to pull up since it's only a mile away.
Thank you I just read through it and I also spent some time poking around on google street view. The area doesnt look bad at all, crimemapping in the direct neighborhood Im looking at, is 20 reported crimes in 6 month span. But some of the surrounding apartment complexes seem to be a bit more troubled, which is typical.

Mind you this is my first time moving into a city, ive been born, raised and lived in the country my whole life.

Any tips or advice for those homes built in the 1980's?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:17 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,977 times
The area's gorgeous! If you like endless rows of beige homes and the occasional soulless sports bar, welcome home. One of my faves about the northwest side is how when you need to go to the store it's always too far to walk. Driving mandatory, just like Leviticus commands.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,700,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAlmond View Post
Thank you I just read through it and I also spent some time poking around on google street view. The area doesnt look bad at all, crimemapping in the direct neighborhood Im looking at, is 20 reported crimes in 6 month span. But some of the surrounding apartment complexes seem to be a bit more troubled, which is typical.

Mind you this is my first time moving into a city, ive been born, raised and lived in the country my whole life.

Any tips or advice for those homes built in the 1980's?
I don't know that area, but typical mid-late 80's builds will have R19 in their attics & single pane windows. A little more insulation helps a lot & the single pane windows aren't much of a problem for energy usage, but they do let a lot of noise in - especially if your neighbors are 4 feet away.

As for crime-mapping, I think I'd try to look into the actual incidents if your website lets you do that - if you leave a car parked outside very long (anywhere in the metro), somebody *will* steal your radio/gps/ipod, etc. So I'd try to pull those out myself, because it'll happen even in a neighborhood of million dollar homes (if you're stupid enough to park your car outside with steal-able stuff inside it).

Old 10-16-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I don't know that area, but typical mid-late 80's builds will have R19 in their attics & single pane windows. A little more insulation helps a lot & the single pane windows aren't much of a problem for energy usage, but they do let a lot of noise in - especially if your neighbors are 4 feet away.

As for crime-mapping, I think I'd try to look into the actual incidents if your website lets you do that - if you leave a car parked outside very long (anywhere in the metro), somebody *will* steal your radio/gps/ipod, etc. So I'd try to pull those out myself, because it'll happen even in a neighborhood of million dollar homes (if you're stupid enough to park your car outside with steal-able stuff inside it).
From what I have gathered I think my first move for any home I purchase in the Phoenix area I am going to go with residential window tint, and update the attic insulations. Simple things that I have done on my rental here in CA that was built in 1947 which had orginal blown in newpaper insulation.

I think I more worried about the rims, tires and lift kits being stolen. Stereos are about about 5-6 year old touchscreens. Coming from CenCal we like to keep out trucks lifted and clean looking, i.e. chrome lift kit, 20in rims with 35 inch mud tires.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:58 PM

494 posts, read 502,527 times
Perhaps you should consider renting for six months until you learn the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: