Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:29 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times

Advertisements

Check out the movie Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure for a bunch of early 80's shots of inside Metro Center. It's interesting to see the old stores and food court. I think you can see the glass elevator in that movie as well if thats your thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:05 PM

200 posts, read 392,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The Galleria extension to the Tucson Mall, later an American Home Furnishings, had a glass elevator. It was kind of odd to see it in a two-story furniture showcase; the main mall and department stores had old-school interior elevators, not sure if there was any one inside the corridor. I left Tucson before the remodels of all three malls, and since Park Mall was on the east side and I was a Westsider, I rarely went there, but except for the anchors it was one level, and El Con is now an open-air center, was single-level as well.

In 1988 Tucson had 4 malls. Tucson was the largest, at Oracle and Wetmore. Park Mall, now Park Place, was at Broadway between Craycroft and Wilmot. The El Con Center, which was aging when I first was stationed in Tucson for training in 1983, was at Broadway and Alvernon; it reminded me of the old Tri-Cities Mall in Mesa on Main (near Dobson?). Finally, Foothills Mall was at Ina and La Cholla, and was supposed to be an upscale mall servicing the expanding NW Tucson area, but it folded in the mid 90s and became an outlet center. It was always empty of foot traffic.

Reference Tri-Cities for old East Valley residents: did it have a movie theater there? I'm trying to remember where I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High, it was in West Mesa somewhere.
I know the American Home Furnishings. I think I've seen the building before. Isn't right across from Tucson Mall with that parking garage? You park and the store is on top of the garage? There is also a theater right? I am guessing American Home Furnishings is now vacant. You mentioned the main mall and department stores. Are you talking about Tucson Mall there? Park Place Mall is a nice mall. So it seems Tucson also once had a store with a glass elevator as well.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:08 PM

200 posts, read 392,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I was inside MetroCenter a few months ago and I will say if you ever need to buy clothes for babies/toddlers, they have a great store in there, Kids Club I think it's called...it's all the same stuff you see at other stores like Target or Wal Mart or Children's Place (which they Also have at Metrocenter, IIRC), but much cheaper. Some of it is brand names, so maybe it's closeouts they acquired, and some of it is generic/stuff you've never heard of. If you have young kids or grandkids and you're in there, I recommend checking it out.

When there are threads about something very specific like this, I always wonder what amazing memory the OP might have to make them have an undying passion for glass elevators inside commercial buildings, or to make Pink Jazz obsessed with freeway signs, or so forth.

I was speaking with a member of the Phoenix Bonsai club recently and it was pretty fascinating. Man, I wish I had that level of passion about a hobby, but I doubt I'd have the patience to be that good at something like that. Always interesting to see what people are into.
I just like elevators. They are really cool.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
I know the American Home Furnishings. I think I've seen the building before. Isn't right across from Tucson Mall with that parking garage? You park and the store is on top of the garage? There is also a theater right? I am guessing American Home Furnishings is now vacant. You mentioned the main mall and department stores. Are you talking about Tucson Mall there? Park Place Mall is a nice mall. So it seems Tucson also once had a store with a glass elevator as well.

There is nothing left in the building other than those theatres on the 4th floor. And that theater has the appearance of being on its last legs. Its only redemption is that it is the ultra-budget theater in town.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:21 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times

Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 PM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There is nothing left in the building other than those theatres on the 4th floor. And that theater has the appearance of being on its last legs. Its only redemption is that it is the ultra-budget theater in town.
I figured as much with AHF. The theater was showing stinkers (think ones like Sylvester Stallone's Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot) which I saw in the 90s there. Foothills had the better mall theater.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:07 PM

770 posts, read 837,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It is indeed sad to see what the inside of Metro Center has turned into, pretty much a ghost town with all the unoccupied spaces, and not to mention all of the buildings around the beltway of the mall that have been sitting unoccupied for a while, especially on the west side of the mall around where Best Buy used to be, which moved to I-17 and Thunderbird.

I would love to see Castles & Coasters buy the land the mall sits on and expand by adding more roller coasters. It would have a great positive impact in the area.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,710,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
It depends on the mall actually. I like malls from pre 1985. Anything post 1985 is very modern to me. 1970s malls and 1960s malls especially have a big history of department stores. Unfortunately, most of the malls in Phoenix are all very modern and from the 1990s. But in Tucson, the two malls there are historic. Same in El Paso and in San Antonio. Phoenix is one of those cities where everything has to be modern, along with Las Vegas.

I do remember liking the two - Thomas and Fashion Square - when I was a kid. But now it's just a batch of boring chain stores to me.

Have you ever read "The Call of the Mall"? That might be right up your alley.

Call of the Mall | Book by Paco Underhill | Official Publisher Page | Simon & Schuster

Old 10-20-2015, 06:24 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I would love to see Castles & Coasters buy the land the mall sits on and expand by adding more roller coasters. It would have a great positive impact in the area.
If that were to happen, it would have to be an indoor roller coasters/theme park type of place in order to be successful, I can't imagine huge crowds with an urge to walk around an outdoor theme park in the middle of summer... Remember Legend City?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:35 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
arguably, some of the oldest "malls" in Phoenix could be called historic because of their place in the rise of suburbs and related social history....

only Park Central, Chris Town, and Uptown Plaza (hardly a mall) might rise to this level, though.....and the first two have been so modified as to lose their significance anyway....Uptown Plaza is apparently in a revival state right now and the owners/managers seem dedicated to preserving its history.....

some here pooh-pooh malls, but they have been a significant part of recent American history, geography, demographics, and economic trends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area