Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannight View Post
LOL, I don't work for Aldi. Ridiculous assumption. As foolish as your assumption why Aldi don't has enter the Phoenix area so far. I am just interested in the grocery retail industry. The American grocery retail industry is way different from the European one. And it's interesting how Americans react to the discount grocery modell.
Food manufacturers in the U.S. can deliver all qualities. It doesn't matter whether Aldi shipps food from Europe or not.
Aldi uses exactly the same business model in the U.S. like they do in Europe. They have the same pros and cons like they have in Europe.
For example: produce is significant cheaper, but can be hit or miss, depending on the store, and employees don't pick out mushy clementines or bell peppers like in regular grocery stores.
Meat isn't really cheaper at Aldi. Other grocery chains have often better sales for meat. The big advantage of Aldi is probably the big price difference between the Aldi store brands and the name brands by similar quality.
Trader Joe's is a bit more upscale then Aldi but it is owned by the same family that owns Aldi and does many of the same things.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Trader Joe's is a bit more upscale then Aldi but it is owned by the same family that owns Aldi and does many of the same things.
Huh! Ztonyg works for Trader Joe's! JUST kidding!!!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:39 PM

94 posts, read 92,718 times
@sargeant79

I have the information about the Kroger manufacturing plants from the Kroger factbook, here is a list:
The Kroger Co. - Operations: Manufacturing List
But I also couldn't find this meat plant in Vernon.

In Germany it's completely normal that the meat and the sausages, that are sold at the deli department, are produced at meat plants that are owned by the grocery chain. They normally have also better weekly sales than Aldi. I don't see why the meat at Aldi should be subpar. It's not really cheaper.

I have to admit that I don't know how good or bad Aldi (US) is. I just say, that it would be uncommon and even completely stupid for Aldi to try to convince the customers with just mediocre quality. That doesn't work in the long run. I don't see any difference in the Aldi business model between the U.S. and Europe.
There are some differences between the American and the European grocery retail industry. In Europe store brands are widespread and by volume they form the majority in many markets. In some countries the discount grocery stores are the prevalent store format.

The manufacturers produce what ever the grocers require. In Europe, it's not uncommon that store brands are higher quality than name brands. For example the Lidl toothpaste for €0.45 is better quality than Colgate, Blend-a-med (Crest) or Theramed. The Lidl and Aldi chocolate is better quality than Milka, Lindt or Ritter Sport. The Aldi washing detergent Tandil is always rated as good as Persil or Ariel (Tide).
If an Aldi product would get a mediocre rating from "Stiftung Warentest" (leading testing institute in Germany), they would immediately withdraw the product from the market.

I find it astonishing that many people think that the products at Aldi are from surplus production, left-overs or substandard goods. That's so absurd. Aldi is not an obscure dollar store.

Here is an interesting video about the changes in the UK grocery retail industry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etr7ldjlNb0

And to the Phoenix area. I find it really nice that there are stores from so many different grocery chains. That's so interesting. About 30 years ago we also had many different grocery chains, but now the market is dominated by 4 big players. It's cheap, but it's somewhat boring. That's the drawback if people aren't willing to pay a little bit more.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
LOL, I don't work for Aldi. Ridiculous assumption. As foolish as your assumption why Aldi don't has enter the Phoenix area so far. I am just interested in the grocery retail industry. The American grocery retail industry is way different from the European one.
Ridiculous? I'm not buying it. You posted in the following forums: FL, NC, PHX, Economics, Frugal Living, San Diego, Chapel Hill, Savannah GA, etc etc, etc. The Exclusive Topic: ALDI's and how "The perception you get what you pay for is still very common in the U.S....". It's strange that the word ALDI pops up in nearly every post you have ever made.

Where I come from, someone who lives 34 minutes from ALDI headquarters and scrubs the web and forums to protect and correct the image of ALDI is suspicious. It is blatantly obvious you have an agenda. Come clean. You are more than a guy from Germany who happens to search the word "ALDI" day in and day out.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 PM

94 posts, read 92,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Ridiculous? I'm not buying it. You posted in the following forums: FL, NC, PHX, Economics, Frugal Living, San Diego, Chapel Hill, Savannah GA, etc etc, etc. The Exclusive Topic: ALDI's and how "The perception you get what you pay for is still very common in the U.S....". It's strange that the word ALDI pops up in nearly every post you have ever made.

Where I come from, someone who lives 34 minutes from ALDI headquarters and scrubs the web and forums to protect and correct the image of ALDI is suspicious. It is blatantly obvious you have an agenda. Come clean. You are more than a guy from Germany who happens to search the word "ALDI" day in and day out.

What a nonsense. Pretty sure that Aldi has employees with much better language skills
The HQ of Aldi (US) is in Batavia (IL). The international Aldi operations are controlled out of Salzburg (Austria).
Sorry that I am interested in the grocery retail industry. I have worked many years for an accounting firm, one of our clients was a big German retailer (not Aldi). I have lived about 6 years near a Walmart superstore. And it was interesting to see the differences.
Yes, I really don't like it if people write nonsense, doesn't matter if they write nonsense about Aldi or if they write nonsense about the length of navigable water ways.
I really love to shop groceries. I do this every day. And I really love to compare Aldi and Lidl. It's an epic battle between them. I am very glad that we have these discounters (because of low food prices).
I am very excited about the market entry of LIdl in the U.S. Different from Aldi, Lidl adjust it's business modell to the local preferences.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:38 PM

975 posts, read 1,406,960 times
Quote:
What a nonsense. Pretty sure that Aldi has employees with much better language skills
The HQ of Aldi (US) is in Batavia (IL). The international Aldi operations are controlled out of Salzburg (Austria).
Sorry that I am interested in the grocery retail industry. I have worked many years for an accounting firm, one of our clients was a big German retailer (not Aldi). I have lived about 6 years near a Walmart superstore. And it was interesting to see the differences.
Yes, I really don't like it if people write nonsense, doesn't matter if they write nonsense about Aldi or if they write nonsense about the length of navigable water ways.
I really love to shop groceries. I do this every day. And I really love to compare Aldi and Lidl. It's an epic battle between them. I am very glad that we have these discounters (because of low food prices).
I am very excited about the market entry of LIdl in the U.S. Different from Aldi, Lidl adjust it's business modell to the local preferences.
Thanks for the clarification.

I also thought that you worked for the social media team for Aldi. ALL major companies have social media teams that scour message boards, Facebook, Twitter, etc. to promote the company. In some ways, that's what it appeared you were doing as well.

As far as Aldi. It's one of the most requested retailers (amongst people I talk to) that Phoenix doesn't have. Aldi's new distribution center in Southern California and Fresh and Easy's demise, hopefully, will allow Aldi to make inroads into the Phoenix grocery market.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,886,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Wow. They have a total of 8 spices, about 20 types of produce, and a super small less-than ideal frozen section. I love their (limited supply) of canned goods and an occasional bag of chips. But I for one could not possibly buy all of my items there.
THIS.

Where I lived before, Aldis were always placed in low-income high-crime neighborhoods, usually in a strip mall next to a Dollar Tree or Big Lots. The packaged food was 90% brands I'd never heard of, shipped in from who knows where, maybe one kind of cola and some Shasta, and a tiny frozen section and next to no produce. It was a sad experience I tried once at two different Aldis, and I swore I'd never go back. I actually found more food I could use at the 99 cent store or Big Lots.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Then maybe it's Aldi Nord which is headquartered in Essen Germany. According to Mapquest, Dusseldorf to Essen is 35 minutes apart. There is a saying in the USA: "If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, and quaks like a duck, it is a duck ..." Based off of your posting pattern behavior, you sound like a social media duck.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Wow, this REALLY went OT.
Who really cares about a store that is NOT in this state? I for one could care less if Aldi's sells horse meat as prime beef, they ain't here people...

Old 11-06-2015, 06:48 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wow, this REALLY went OT.
Who really cares about a store that is NOT in this state? I for one could care less if Aldi's sells horse meat as prime beef, they ain't here people...
And yet, here we are at NINE (9), soon to be TEN (10) pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area