Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,346,883 times

Advertisements

When I am looking at real estate ads online, I watch for 2 things. Carpet and grass. The cost and hassle to remove them both could be a deal breaker for me. If I had to choose between 2 houses, the one with tile and no grass would be my pick without a second thought.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,708,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
When I am looking at real estate ads online, I watch for 2 things. Carpet and grass. The cost and hassle to remove them both could be a deal breaker for me. If I had to choose between 2 houses, the one with tile and no grass would be my pick without a second thought.
I was the opposite. I like carpet in the bedrooms (although I always have fresh stuff put in before moving in) and MUST have grass in the backyard for my dogs. They love playing fetch in the backyard and aren't fans of running on rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 AM

80 posts, read 262,606 times
Since this will probably be my only new home build and quite possibly my last home, resale is not the major factor in my choices. I am building this for ME. That being said, the only carpet will be in the bedrooms, the only grass will be in the front with artificial turf in the back around the pool.
Still up in the air about the water softener. I know we need to do SOMETHING and we want to be responsible consumers, but at what cost. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,346,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I was the opposite. I like carpet in the bedrooms (although I always have fresh stuff put in before moving in) and MUST have grass in the backyard for my dogs. They love playing fetch in the backyard and aren't fans of running on rocks.

With my cats and dogs, carpet is a no go. Not even a rug. As for outside, the cats and dogs both seem to enjoy laying on the rocks/dirt/concrete. It's warmer.

Grass here is much more work than back in the Midwest where I just mowed when it got long and forgot about it. I prefer to not have the hassle of summer grass vs winter grass and constant watering. I REALLY prefer a house that has true desert landscaping; as in one that looks like it was just plopped in the desert rather than having the desert recreated around it with landscaping, if that makes sense.

I'm skeptical of artificial turf as it can get very hot to the touch in the summer.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 PM

Pretty sure the builder/hoa mandates the front yard grass situation and the turf is the backyard is more for aesthetic appeal as well as weed/dust control. It's a very small area so it's not like my huge grass yard in Iowa. No more weekends spent mowing, weeding and endless landscaping -yay!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,765,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirlsuz View Post
Pretty sure the builder/hoa mandates the front yard grass situation and the turf is the backyard is more for aesthetic appeal as well as weed/dust control. It's a very small area so it's not like my huge grass yard in Iowa. No more weekends spent mowing, weeding and endless landscaping -yay!
I look to avoid HOAs, so that I don't have problems such as silly rules mandating I waste water on landscaping a front yard. Plus I find older neighborhoods much more appealing anyways.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:39 PM

9,874 posts, read 11,266,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I look to avoid HOAs, so that I don't have problems such as silly rules mandating I waste water on landscaping a front yard. Plus I find older neighborhoods much more appealing anyways.
We are different. I am in a HOA and wish they were follow their rules. It's why I wanted an HOA.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:40 PM

3,768 posts, read 5,892,370 times
I would second getting upgraded insulation and windows. In the desert, those will pay off in spades. I am another that likes carpet in the bedrooms.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Yep, all energy-efficient upgrades are a must. HOA fees are one of the lowest we found. Small price to pay to keep the street looking nice IMO. After so many years of dreaming about this I am now super nervous about the finish options!

Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 PM

551 posts, read 697,180 times
I am going to echo the best insulation and double pane windows you can find. I think the windows might matter more here than the walls, but that is subject to opinion.

If you have allergies, I also echo the avoid the carpeting sentiment. Unless you don't mind laying flooring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area