Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 AM

23 posts, read 27,496 times

Advertisements

It's January and I already hate the cold weather. When I retire in a few years I want to spend 5 months in the greater Phoenix area as a snow bird. I don't want to own a place until I get a feel for the area but would think that most landlords would not be too happy just renting a home or apartment for just a few months and have it sit empty for the rest of the year.

Here are some questions:

Where do the snow birds find rentals for just the winter months?

Is it cheaper (easier) to rent for the five months of winter or just rent the place for the whole year?

How do you get your car down there each winter if you live on the east coast? Or do you have a plan b.

What is the best place to snow bird if you are a person in their 60s with a moderate income?

Any feedback and advice about being a snow bird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
There are many home renters in the Valley, and many of them rent furnished condos, townhomes, etc, for the winter months, strictly with snowbirds in mind. In fact, a couple from Canada rents out a fully furnished condo in our area to snowbirds in the winter. As for the car, most people simply drive their cars down here in the winter, hence the reason you see so many out of state plates here in the winter. I would look into places like Chandler or Tempe or Gilbert. Theyre reasonably priced burbs that should have plenty of options for rentals. Be warned, that AZ winters arent as warm as youd expect. Right now its only in the 50s and raining cats and dogs (will do so all week), and we just had an extended cold streak with many nights at or below freezing. I would far recommend south Florida for a snowbird than Arizona, unless you prefer mountains and drier air.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likable View Post
Where do the snow birds find rentals for just the winter months?
vrbo.com, vacationrentals.com are the two more popular ones. We advertise our condos in the latter.

Quote:
Is it cheaper (easier) to rent for the five months of winter or just rent the place for the whole year?
Our winter time is peak rental season, thus for short term rentals, the rents will be higher. Whole year rental may be cheaper per month, but it depends on location. You would have to find an area you like, then price them out.

Quote:
How do you get your car down there each winter if you live on the east coast?
Many ship their car here or they drive here. Some have a car stashed at a relative's house.

Quote:
What is the best place to snow bird if you are a person in their 60s with a moderate income?
That is largely subjective, best to figure out what your intentions are, then find a place that meets your needs and requirements.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
Congratulations! You will love AZ...even I, after bashing it, will return. I was born there and it runs in my veins-damn it!
At any rate, Craiglist may be a good start just to see eho is renting what. You certainly can get a month to month lease in an apartment for an additional cost.

Be sure and this is very important...drive VERY slow EVERYWHERE you go! That seals the deal for being a snowbird!!!
Good luck!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:56 PM

720 posts, read 734,342 times
The most economical way to be a snowbird - or at least in the beginning is to rent/buy a mobile home site. Check out aztecrv.com as one of many examples. I only know of this place because my friends dad owns a mobile home there and it's a ghost town in the summers people only come from fall-spring seasons. You don't have to buy a physical mobile home you can rent a space and drive your mobile home to/from wherever you're driving from - you didn't say where you are - so not sure if it's feasible for you to drive/or fly- so many places and so many people do it - good luck!

Old 01-05-2016, 01:37 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Be warned, that AZ winters arent as warm as youd expect. Right now its only in the 50s and raining cats and dogs (will do so all week), and we just had an extended cold streak with many nights at or below freezing. I would far recommend south Florida for a snowbird than Arizona, unless you prefer mountains and drier air.
Oh, be reasonable

I definitely agree it's not Florida warm, but it was high 60s New Years weekend, I played basketball outside in shorts.
It just started to rain today and it will on/off for 3 days but it rains much less here, compared to places people would be moving from.

Dec and Jan has a FEW days that reached near 32 degrees overnight. Big deal.

Definitely trade-offs between Florida and Arizona but someone coming in from a snow region isn't going to mind a few days in the 50s compared to 20 and ice that they are trying to avoid

Old 01-05-2016, 05:06 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Oh, be reasonable

I definitely agree it's not Florida warm, but it was high 60s New Years weekend, I played basketball outside in shorts.
It just started to rain today and it will on/off for 3 days but it rains much less here, compared to places people would be moving from.

Definitely trade-offs between Florida and Arizona but someone coming in from a snow region isn't going to mind a few days in the 50s compared to 20 and ice that they are trying to avoid
In 2010, we bought a house in Phoenix that we intend on wintering when I retire (which I did 2 weeks ago but its currently rented) and when it was 29 yesterday and a dark grey here in Washington and asked my wife to check the temp in Phoenix...she checked and complained that it was still 58 (not 75) while biching about not having a warm enough jacket so I just asked, would you be thinking that light jacket wasn't sufficient at 58? Anyway, I checked again and the average high in Phoenix is upper 60's Dec and Jan and above 70 in all other months...that sounds awesome.

Getting back to the OP question, we did it by buying in a lower cost community outside of Phoenix that has very cheap but still nice housing in a community with year round heated lap pool and fantastic amenities. We're thinking of not renewing the lease and moving down next winter. Unless you plan to move for good, I don't think there is a cheap way to only winter in Phoenix...if you're in a high cost housing area, we found the housing in Phoenix incredibly cheap as long as you're not in Scottsdale area.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:23 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,697,014 times
Ever thought of an RV? We did that for years traveling all over but many just go from where they live to AZ for the Winter months only and then return home.
We had a number of units mostly 5th wheel trailers so we had transportation when we got there but we did have a couple of Class A motorhomes along the line too.
Just a thought

Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,965,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Oh, be reasonable

Just putting the word out there to all those people that think AZ is t-shirts and shorts weather in winter. Some days you can get away with that attire, but most days are chilly. Maybe Im accustomed to it now, but I wear a hoodie all winter, and at night I wear a thicker coat, especially this winter.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
When I retire I want to be a snow bird in Arizona, but how?
First of all...

The first thing to remember is: NEVER HUG the CACTI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area