Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:26 PM

191 posts, read 345,102 times

Advertisements

We already know which vehicle we want and reviews of all valley dealerships were about the same. Living up near Prescott, we already checked out the local dealers and found they are asking about 3000 dollars more than the internet prices we see from the Phoenix dealers for the same car. Looks like we'll start with an online quote and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 01:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
We already know which vehicle we want and reviews of all valley dealerships were about the same. Living up near Prescott, we already checked out the local dealers and found they are asking about 3000 dollars more than the internet prices we see from the Phoenix dealers for the same car. Looks like we'll start with an online quote and go from there.
Why stop with Phoenix dealers. Do a nationwide search and you will probably save another 2000 dollars.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:17 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
I wouldn't say it's overrated. Last March, we bought a 2015 Honda Odyssey with all the bells and whistles for $500 over invoice via Costco.
My employee bought the same vehicle from a dealership in Texas that was 1K less(after shipping) than the cheapest dealership here and she did the Costco quote. Those "invoice" prices are not what the dealer actually pays because they get kickbacks from the manufacturer called dealer holdback. Also, the invoice price is deliberately inflated knowing holdback will be applied. It sounds like you are getting a great deal when you are only paying 500-1000 over invoice. However, large volume dealers will give you the same vehicle at less than invoice because they still make money on holdback: "Holdbacks enable dealerships to advertise invoice-price sales and sell their vehicles at or near invoice and still make hundreds of dollars on the transaction."

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Case in point. On Cars.com, for a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite (all the bells and whistles), the cheapest brand new one was located in Tyson's Corner, Virginia for $38,991. In the Phoenix area, the lowest price for the same model is $43,349. Dealer Invoice is 42,316 for this particular model. So you flash your Costco badge and they say "Okay I will offer you it for $500 above invoice (42,800) and say look you are getting a great deal. But if you did a nationwide search, you will discover there are many dealers offering this same minivan for much less than that 42,800

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-23-2016 at 01:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Case in point. On Cars.com, for a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite (all the bells and whistles), the cheapest brand new one was located in Tyson's Corner, Virginia for $38,991. In the Phoenix area, the lowest price for the same model is $43,349. Dealer Invoice is 42,316 for this particular model. So you flash your Costco badge and they say "Okay I will offer you it for $500 above invoice (42,800) and say look you are getting a great deal. But if you did a nationwide search, you will discover there are many dealers offering this same minivan for much less than that 42,800

Interesting,

I've heard there is more room to negotiate on the higher end vehicles.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:00 AM

640 posts, read 959,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
It's that time again, needing to buy a new car and we've decided on another Accord. I see there's plenty of Honda dealers around the valley and I'd like to find one that will give the least aggravation and the best price without all the games.

I read all the online reviews I could find but they seem to be mostly aimed at service and less about sales. I also believe that most people are more likely to write a review only after a bad experience so that skews them even further, so I'm turning to the forum. Which ones have you had the least amount of hastle dealing with?

Thanks.
I have purchased 3 new vehicles from Right Honda in Scottsdale in the last 15 years. Always a good experience. Highly recommend them.

If you really want to avoid any haggling, go online to each dealers website and get a quote online for the exact car you want. Use that as the basis for your negotiation, you could even do most of your negotiation via email if you prefer. Then go to websites such as edmunds that have forums where people post actual prices paid for cars to see what others are paying.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I have purchased 3 new vehicles from Right Honda in Scottsdale in the last 15 years. Always a good experience. Highly recommend them.

Well, Honda is no longer an option and it back to Toyota. Seems that Honda is now using a CVT transmission in almost all their 4 cylinder vehicles except the Crosstour.

I see Right Toyota has some fair pricing on their website so it's time start dealing.

Thanks to all who replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area