Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,359,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
Freeways are just as clogged up during the summer months when the snowbirds are gone so please explain that Tim. Using your logic, if people didn't work so far away from home then they to wouldn't need to be on the freeway either.
The traffic is significantly lighter during the summer due to both children being out of school and snowbirds leaving. This is one of the perks of the summer. When everyone is whining about the heat, I look forward to the traffic getting lighter. And if you think the snowbird traffic here is bad, check out Florida. It's night and day difference. When the snowbirds return from the East Coast in November, it's just hell. Even on the weekends, traffic can be an issue. At least here, the weekends are great. It's one extreme to the next. In the summer, it's much quieter and far less congested. The roads can actually be pleasant.

I agree with the OP. There is no reason to run your errands during rush hour. My parents and wife's parents both live here and intelligently schedule appointments and other errands during non-rush hour times. It can be done. It just takes a little foresight and planning.

To answer the question, the reason is it is cultural. Older Americans were used to starting their days really early in the morning. The other reason is physiologic. They wake up earlier as they get older. So they are bored and like to run to the grocery store and pharmacy at 8 am. The idea of sitting around until 10 am to run an errand doesn't work for them.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-27-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 12:42 PM

9,185 posts, read 16,718,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The people who care, I suppose, are those who have someplace to be and are being held up by those who have all the time in the world to get there and can go any time of the day, and drive like they are on a Sunday drive...in the fast lane.

The next time you are behind a little old man in a hat or a little old lady that you can't see other than the knuckles on the steering wheel with the Alberta plates on the car going 50 on I-10 in the fast lane at 7 am, don't forget they can be there just like everyone else

If you don't understand this, you are free to skip the thread. As someone who has stood behind that little old lady with the Minnie-soh-tuh accent who can't find her checkbook at the express lane register at Fry's on a Saturday morning holding up everyone when she can be at the store ANY TIME of the week but chooses to inconvenience everyone during peak times for those that work, I get it completely. It doesn't only apply to driving.
I have zero tolerance for drivers that impede the flow of traffic. With that said, claiming that those going to and from work versus those going to and from doctor's appointments and other errands have more entitlement to the roads just seems mean spirited.

I hope people are more understanding to you when you get old and god forbid go to the store on a Saturday morning or have somewhere to be on a Tuesday at 8am.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:42 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,032,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Most of the buses in this valley, including particularly the commuter routes, are not "mobile homeless shelters". But that's a topic for another thread.

"Fairly close" would not be eleven miles, for a lot of people. But if even eleven miles in rush hour traffic starting at 5:30 AM (which I'll bet is heavy even in spring and summer) bothers you that much that you had to come rant, find another route to work (surface streets in some cases actually move faster, depending on the particular locations you are dealing with) or get closer. If you are leaving that early, I wonder how many "snowbirds" are really out there at that hour. Out of state plate does not mean snowbird. Some residents hang on to their old plates as long as they can get away with it.
Mobile homeless shelter = Light Rail

Bus route would take HOURS, while driving takes ohhhh...13 minutes. Which would YOU do?

Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,376,578 times
So it takes you 13 minutes to go 11 miles and you're complaining about it?!?!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,032,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
So it takes you 13 minutes to go 11 miles and you're complaining about it?!?!
Yes I am, because I'm CONSTANTLY having to SWERVE in and out of traffic to get around them!

Old 01-27-2016, 12:53 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,114,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funflyer99 View Post
Freeways are just as clogged up during the summer months when the snowbirds are gone so please explain that Tim. Using your logic, if people didn't work so far away from home then they to wouldn't need to be on the freeway either.

That is absolutely not true. There is a major difference in congestion once April hits and it continues to go down till about Memorial Day Weekend when it levels off until late September when the snowbirds start arriving again. This is from someone who travels all around the metro area on a daily basis and has been doing so for several years.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM

6,146 posts, read 8,027,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
It's popcorn time!
Munch...munch.....munch........

Old 01-27-2016, 01:05 PM

169 posts, read 283,007 times
Just wanted to chime in: I agree that the snowbirds reduce the quality of life here for long-term residents. not sure what we can do about the problem though. Restrict them to Sun City? Ban non-AZ plates from the freeways during rush hour?

Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,454,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
NO, they DO indeed ADD to the already clogged freeways. Moderator cut: . It's simply ridiculous. Yes they are free to use the freeway anytime they want to. But I don't understand WHY they would want to do their oldies activities in the traffic.

If I was retired, the LAST thing I would do is venture out during RUSH HOUR to do my granny activities. How about venturing out during the MIDDLE of the day during the week??
So when you are retired you get to choose when you do what, until then it is not your choice and I seriously doubt the *oldies* are the biggest traffic issue.
One more thing, they ARE using the freeways anytime they want, get over it or move elsewhere.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:10 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,154,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Yes I am, because I'm CONSTANTLY having to SWERVE in and out of traffic to get around them!
Ahh...You're THAT guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area