Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:12 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,155,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
going 50 on I-10 in the fast lane at 7 am
That sounds pretty good actually.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,358,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I have zero tolerance for drivers that impede the flow of traffic. With that said, claiming that those going to and from work versus those going to and from doctor's appointments and other errands have more entitlement to the roads just seems mean spirited.

I hope people are more understanding to you when you get old and god forbid go to the store on a Saturday morning or have somewhere to be on a Tuesday at 8am.

I am not a retired person. I work a Monday-Friday day job. But, for over 7 years I worked at a University. I was off 3 months in the summer and 6 weeks in the winter for semester breaks. I still was an early riser because I was going to 5:30 AM kickboxing 6 days a week. BUT, because I had the rest of my time free, as a retired person would, I ran my errands, went shopping, and scheduled appointments in the middle of the day when most people were working. I avoided crowds, I avoided traffic, and I avoided waiting longer than necessary because there were just less people doing the same thing at that time. I purposely avoided after work times or Saturday AM shopping. It just made logical sense. People that work full time don't have a choice or the freedom to do that. Retired people do.

There is nothing wrong with hoping or wishing a snowbird would somehow use that same obvious logic when planning their day. I was still contributing to the local economy, as many claim the snowbirds do (and we should be soooo grateful). I was just doing it at a different time of day that MADE SENSE. I think that is the point of this whole thread. No one is saying they shouldn't or can't or whatever, just that it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:37 PM

2,300 posts, read 3,117,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
That sounds pretty good actually.

LOL Yeah - I WISH it moved that fast at 7 am (and the 101, and the 202, and the 60...)!

Old 01-27-2016, 02:40 PM

586 posts, read 545,908 times
Couple thoughts:

Snowbirds golf, doubtful you can do that daily without commuting in morning or afternoon rush hour.

Summer traffic is better for a number of reasons. One of them is the number of locals who travel North to escape the heat. We don't mind you clogging up our towns and Cities while supporting our economy. Bring as many friends as you like.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM

7,850 posts, read 4,601,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Someone, anyone please chime in as to WHY OH WHY do I see snowbirds (yes actually snowbirds, not young people that may have moved here) clogging up the freeways during rush hour??

Snowbirds you're welcome to chime in as well. A snowbird (unless there is an emergency) has NO reason to be on the freeway during morning and evening rush hour. I know I sound like a pompous jerk, but SERIOUSLY I see a TON of snowbirds during the rush hours! What is the deal? You can do your doctor visits, grocery shopping and whatever else you do OUTSIDE of those times.

Please do us 9 to 5ers a favor and stay off the road during these times. It would be much appreciated.

/rant
Thanks for the request. I for one will stay off the roads while you commute to that 9-5 gig curing cancer, building spaceships to Mars or whatever it is that gives you your world-class sense of entitlement...

Make way, special snowflake comin' through !!!!

Old 01-27-2016, 02:52 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,864,250 times
Next up.... do children really need to go to school? Those damn yellow buses clog up the roads.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,732,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Someone, anyone please chime in as to WHY OH WHY do I see snowbirds (yes actually snowbirds, not young people that may have moved here) clogging up the freeways during rush hour??

Snowbirds you're welcome to chime in as well. A snowbird (unless there is an emergency) has NO reason to be on the freeway during morning and evening rush hour. I know I sound like a pompous jerk, but SERIOUSLY I see a TON of snowbirds during the rush hours! What is the deal? You can do your doctor visits, grocery shopping and whatever else you do OUTSIDE of those times.

Please do us 9 to 5ers a favor and stay off the road during these times. It would be much appreciated.

/rant

When was the last time you were in a doctor's office? Ever occur to you they have a 2pm appt. but wait 90 minutes to 2 hours to see the doctor? Now you're looking at 4pm, maybe get out of there at 4:30pm. Just in time for rush hour.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:11 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,155,364 times
Frankly there are a lot of assumptions being made in here about what complete strangers are doing with their own personal time.

17,410 posts, read 12,032,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
So prouductive long term residents contributing to the economy should relocate because they find aggravation in the temporary elderly people population and their denture runs to Walgreens and the Doctors office slowing down people trying to get to work?
Snowbirds don't contribute to the economy? I think you're wrong on that.

17,815 posts, read 25,732,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am not a retired person. I work a Monday-Friday day job. But, for over 7 years I worked at a University. I was off 3 months in the summer and 6 weeks in the winter for semester breaks. I still was an early riser because I was going to 5:30 AM kickboxing 6 days a week. BUT, because I had the rest of my time free, as a retired person would, I ran my errands, went shopping, and scheduled appointments in the middle of the day when most people were working. I avoided crowds, I avoided traffic, and I avoided waiting longer than necessary because there were just less people doing the same thing at that time. I purposely avoided after work times or Saturday AM shopping. It just made logical sense. People that work full time don't have a choice or the freedom to do that. Retired people do.

There is nothing wrong with hoping or wishing a snowbird would somehow use that same obvious logic when planning their day. I was still contributing to the local economy, as many claim the snowbirds do (and we should be soooo grateful). I was just doing it at a different time of day that MADE SENSE. I think that is the point of this whole thread. No one is saying they shouldn't or can't or whatever, just that it DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
Well why couldn't you go to kickboxing at 10am? You were impacting morning traffic by taking an early morning kickboxing class. Rush hour starts early in many American cities as early as 5am, you being on the road at the time since you weren't going to work, was adding to the rush hour.

Just because it makes sense to you doesn't mean others have to follow your rules.

It makes sense to me to not be looking down at your phone texting when you're crossing the street or walking through a parking lot, but I don't get to dictate to others that they should do that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area