Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 3,733 times

Advertisements

My husband is etsing from the military the beginning of December. We have decided we want to move to Phoenix and so we are starting the planning process. Our plan is to have enough saved up to pay moving costs upfront (including a month in a pet friendly hotel) and six month of living costs (rent, food, etc). Now I'm just trying to figure out a timeline to start searching for rentals. We plan on visiting the area in August, but we may have to make a trip sooner.

Is August too soon to look at individual rentals? Should we just stick to looking at areas we may be interested in? One last question is how do people rent without income? Almost all rentals require proof of income. We will have proof of income and income for the first two months we are there, but it is obvious that will be a temporary income. I will be finishing up school so it isn't possible for me to look for a job until we actually move as I won't be able to take the time to fly out there and back. My husband obviously won't be able to look for jobs until we move either and most jobs I've ever had took me quite a few weeks to actually start.

I know I'm probably planning way too far in advance, but since this is out first move across country without a job on the other side it is kind of scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,605,169 times
Well looking isn't a bad idea but whatever you're looking at in August wil be gone by the time you get there in December. It's going to be tough to rent with no income. You can look for a private party maybe a roomate type situation who is willing to work with you. I would say to have at least 6 months worth of rent saved besides living costs.

Is your husband going to go to school on the GI Bill?

Old 02-20-2016, 10:10 PM

He wants to get settled in and work for a year to gain in-state residency rates before going to school.

There is no way we can do a roommate type situation as we have two big dogs and a cat, which is why we are budgeting for a month in a hotel.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:56 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,816,741 times
No August isn't too soon to look for rentals. More importantly, scope out the area you want to be in first then narrow down the types of apartment communities both of you would find acceptable, then when you go visit, go visit that city, and it's surrounding neighborhood to get a feel for. Try to find the nearest grocery store, Target, Walmart, etc. Just to see if you two like it.

If you find an apartment community you like, pay attention to availability dates, sometimes they could be listed 3-4 months in advance, given that the current tenant notified the manager they're moving out. So you might be able to already call and put a deposit down.

This is what I did and I'm in a similar situation as you. My move in date is June 1st and I literally just secured the lease this past week with no job. I had about 12 months worth of expenses saved up and all I had to do was provide bank statements and that was considered acceptable "proof of income" to the management company, so it all depends. Some apartments won't rent to folks without jobs, some will given you had $x saved up.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:05 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
The two big dogs and the cat are going to be very problematic. Even most motels limit the numver of pets per room to two.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,081,959 times
Just a heads up, August-October is about when the snowbirds are going to be coming in, (the time when Phoenix grows by ??? 30% ?? for the moderate winters we have). Rentals are going to be flying out of here, that will be the most competitive time to find a place. Any place that offers less than 1 year rentals is going to be extremely limited.

Rentals want proof of income. That comes from your bank statements. It usually takes a couple months for that to change. Personally I would just look for a place and show them the income you've been getting. You can get a temporary hotel, (extended stay, crossland suites), but then youre going to be looking for a place with no proof of income. I'm not saying don't tell them he's no longer in the military, just that I don't think they will care if you can show income..

If it was any other time of the year you would probably be better off doing it that way, but you can get 3-6 month rentals, then when you have proof of new income use that to find somewhere more permanent.

Have you been to Phoenix? Do you know Phoenix? Do you have any idea where you want to live or work, what field, or what you want to be around? Do you know what kind of work he will be looking for? Are you currently near here; Do you have plans or possibility to come out here before then?

IMO if you wait and lose your proof of income, you're going to be stuck in that hotel until you can get proof of your new income.

Of course many places will rent, but will want first and last months rent, + deposit up front.

Message sent.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 AM

163 posts, read 207,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The two big dogs and the cat are going to be very problematic. Even most motels limit the numver of pets per room to two.
^This will be more of an issue for you than income. Not all complexes will require income proof.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Just a heads up, August-October is about when the snowbirds are going to be coming in, (the time when Phoenix grows by ??? 30% ?? for the moderate winters we have). Rentals are going to be flying out of here, that will be the most competitive time to find a place. Any place that offers less than 1 year rentals is going to be extremely limited.

Rentals want proof of income. That comes from your bank statements. It usually takes a couple months for that to change. Personally I would just look for a place and show them the income you've been getting. You can get a temporary hotel, (extended stay, crossland suites), but then youre going to be looking for a place with no proof of income. I'm not saying don't tell them he's no longer in the military, just that I don't think they will care if you can show income..

If it was any other time of the year you would probably be better off doing it that way, but you can get 3-6 month rentals, then when you have proof of new income use that to find somewhere more permanent.

Have you been to Phoenix? Do you know Phoenix? Do you have any idea where you want to live or work, what field, or what you want to be around? Do you know what kind of work he will be looking for? Are you currently near here; Do you have plans or possibility to come out here before then?

IMO if you wait and lose your proof of income, you're going to be stuck in that hotel until you can get proof of your new income.

Of course many places will rent, but will want first and last months rent, + deposit up front.

Message sent.
I thought about just showing proof of his income as once we move we will still have 2.5 months of income plus the money we are working on saving up. I just figured the rental places would inquire about that income and why we are moving.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. We definitely have a lot to think about and go off of.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbiz View Post
^This will be more of an issue for you than income. Not all complexes will require income proof.
This is the reason we want to rent a house, not an apartment complex. I have had my fill of complexes and I really want a backyard. I figure we will also have better luck renting a house with two big dogs than an apartment in a complex as we have found many complexes only allow small dogs.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:01 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon212 View Post
This is the reason we want to rent a house, not an apartment complex. I have had my fill of complexes and I really want a backyard. I figure we will also have better luck renting a house with two big dogs than an apartment in a complex as we have found many complexes only allow small dogs.
You're correct in that finding an apartment for two big dogs is difficult. But finding a house to rent that is going to accept two big dogs AND a cat isn't going to be easy. Not easy AT ALL.

Finding a private owner who has no property management firm and has a personal soft spot for veterans might be your best shot. Not an easy fix, I'm sorry to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: