Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,477,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Yeah, where I came from - Silicon Valley (and coastal-ish CA in general). It's cold in the winter, but I wouldn't say "too" cold when considering places that snow. It's the same as winters here. The dead of summer in Silicon Valley is more like April/May here. It's a breeze. There is the occasional, rare heat wave, but even then it's not comparable to Phoenix heat.

But, there is a very, very, very deep and oppressive Weather Tax (i.e. the cost of living) to punish people for the privilege of nearly perfect weather. If the cost of living there was similar to what it is here, I guarantee people would be snowbirding there instead of here (I guess they aren't as rich as I thought, despite having two houses and letting each rot for alternating 6 month blocks...).
I agree, the Bay Area is nice, SV is very nice. Not crazy about the cost of living or local political climate, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 04:37 PM

482 posts, read 533,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
But, there is a very, very, very deep and oppressive Weather Tax (i.e. the cost of living) to punish people for the privilege of nearly perfect weather.
They are not "punishing people" for living in good weather. They are punishing them for electing a communist government. Weather is an act of God. It doesn't cost anything. Communism is man made........ And very expensive. At least for those who work to support it.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
They are not "punishing people" for living in good weather. They are punishing them for electing a communist government. Weather is an act of God. It doesn't cost anything. Communism is man made........ And very expensive. At least for those who work to support it.
LOL you're responding to a tongue-in-cheek comment with a political and religious rant.

The Bay Area is expensive because it's desirable, for a number of reasons.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
Phoenix ranked twelfth for best cities to live and work, not a bad rating but it could be better.

I think the weather plays a factor for many people despite the hot summers, we don't have to shovel, scrape, or plow heat.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Bay Area is expensive to whacked out liberals because it's desirable, for a number of reasons.
FIFY

Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 AM

3 posts, read 2,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
... take THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
Will not torch the pipe until someone confirms that downtown urban Phoenix is walkable with a high walkscore the way Frisco, NYC, Ann Arbor, or Madison Wisconsin is rated high on a walk scale. Walkable to parks, supermarkets, nightclubs, and other bada bings.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDIT View Post
Will not torch the pipe until someone confirms that downtown urban Phoenix is walkable with a high walkscore the way Frisco, NYC, Ann Arbor, or Madison Wisconsin is rated high on a walk scale. Walkable to parks, supermarkets, nightclubs, and other bada bings.
As was pointed out in another post. Phoenix is spread out over far more square miles than most other major cities. Add that to very high Summertime temperatures, and it's "walkability factor" is knocked right out of the box. That is simply pure fact. Best advice. Buy a car with a good air conditioner if you are going to live here. Forget walking. I don't understand why you would even consider Phoenix under those circumstances? Anymore than you would consider Fairbanks for "walking" in shorts in January. People always seem to desire what is non existent.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
FIFY
Don't put words in my mouth. What an idiotic comment to imply that it's only expensive for liberals.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Don't put words in my mouth. What an idiotic comment to imply that it's only expensive for liberals.
Well let's at least be honest, shall we? It's not like the place is packed with conservatives, is it?

Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Well let's at least be honest, shall we? It's not like the place is packed with conservatives, is it?
That's not the point. Why would it be more expensive for liberals? You said: "The Bay Area is expensive to whacked out liberals because it's desirable, for a number of reasons." I think you were trying to be cute, but failed miserably to make any sort of a point.

I'm pretty sure it's expensive for everyone, regardless of political affiliation. It's a great place, if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area