Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:39 PM

14 posts, read 39,519 times

Advertisements

Hello---I'm looking for some opinions on how friendly Goodyear residents are? We've lived in several major metropolitan areas in the midwest and south. Like anywhere, we met some snobs, met some nice people and some in between. But, we never had a problem making friends and developing relationships with neighbors and such.

However, we relocated to the Columbus area and were a bit shocked. Granted, we live in an affluent suburb, but still, we pictured friendly, outgoing Midwesterners. Instead, we have found that the majority of people are snobby--into having best of everything--homes, cars, clothes, etc. Whether someone living in our suburb owns a $200K home or a $700K home, it seems the the wife/mom (whom I have the most contact with) comes to the park in high heels, sheek outfit, $250 diaper bag, etc. She looks perfectly made up, many have plastic surgery and work out for 2 hours a day. I don't mean to judge or offend anyone. Just wondering how moms are in Goodyear? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
which suburb (specifically) in Columbus are you talking about?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:47 PM

Default And, wondering about community feel?

In reading a lot of the posts on the Phoenix forum, many people mentioned that Phoenix doesn't have a real community feel.

Just wondering how people in the master planned comm. out in Goodyear feel? Same hold true there? We lived in a mpc a few years ago and felt it was easier to meet people because there were so many clubs/playgroups/sports teams w/in the neighborhood.

Do you get a "community feel" in a mpc in Goodyear?

I'm asking about Goodyear because my husband and I have heard so many good things about the area from people who live there. We have never been to AZ though. Even visiting places, you can't get a true feel for how people are so it makes us nervous to relocate. I have read a number of posts that say certain areas, such as Scottsdale are snobby. We definitely hope to settle in a more down to earth area next time.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:50 PM

I was referring to Dublin & Powell areas...

Old 02-09-2008, 06:53 PM
hts

762 posts, read 2,162,586 times
Thanks. I know you're asking about Goodyear (and if either you or your husband work downtown, it may not be right for you), and it's been implied that I constantly pimp Anthem, but I really do feel it's a very special place, and we've been all over. It's not Utopia and it's not without issues, but you should at least check it out--you owe it to your family.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks--good to know. I will research that.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Goodyear, far superior to Anthem...no snobbery in the well established middle to upper class Goodyear. Better value, better location, better built homes too.

Last edited by wit-nit; 02-09-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-09-2008, 09:28 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
You won't find the snobbery in Goodyear, nor in most communities in the Phoenix area. Some say that happens in Scottsdale; and perhaps it does in some communities there. But there are also communities in Scottsdale where that doesn't occur.

I'm helping a couple of people relocate to Goodyear, and my daughters inlaws live there and they feel it's a down to earth area.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:25 PM

225 posts, read 962,127 times
Goodyear is not snobby at all. The only real snobby places in the Valley are Scottsdale and the Paradise Valley area of Phoenix.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:13 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
I have found that the homes in foreclosure all suffered from the "Coach" virus that strikes the younger generation today. Snobs are everywhere and I consider them entertainment (hope that did not sound too snobby). AZ is a wonderful place and the above poster hit it on the head when they mentioned that we come from all over. You will have many opportunities to make new friends. Goodyear is a very nice and upcoming area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area