Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:08 AM

6,834 posts, read 5,145,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
As long as one of the vehicles you're taking isn't a moving truck, I'd strongly recommend going through Monument Valley and taking US-191 through southern Utah to I-70.
I'd considered recommending this too. Keep in mind, it's still winter in the mountains so be sure to check both the road conditions and the weather forecast if you are considering this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 9,401 times
Wow! Thanks for all of the great ideas!

We actually booked a pet-friendly house through airbnb for the night in Albuquerque, so we'll stick with that route. We did travel through Moab once and it was beautiful. Would love to go back. If it were just us and the kids we would love to sightsee a bit more along the way, but the dogs are old and don't travel well so it's best for them to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. Hopefully we'll make it back here again to visit friends and I'll keep all of these suggestions in mind.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:33 PM

488 posts, read 863,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Plan a stop for a Laguna burger. We never pass it up on our trips that way.

A burger too good to be at just one place - Route 66 News
I stopped here on my way into Phoenix via MO. They opened the patio for us so we could let the dogs stretch their legs (and beg for french fries). GREAT burger!

Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM

488 posts, read 863,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
The only one I know is about 30-45 minutes west outside of Flagstaff, the meteor crater. If you liked the grand canyon, (the big hole made by mother nature), then the crater is the smaller, big hole made by space. ooohhhh ahhhhh.
This is what I was going to suggest. Plenty of walking space, clean restrooms. Great place to stop.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:33 AM

9,887 posts, read 11,292,337 times
We are snowbirds so I drive from MN to AZ every October. And then from AZ to MN every May. My wife takes an airplane because a long drive irritates her back. I would fly too and leave a car in AZ. I specifically drive because of the 2 dogs. Like your trip, I nearly always go through CO and Albuquerque.

The only thing I attempt to plan is where am I going to sleep with the dogs. But for a long trip, that isn't an exact science because I quit driving when I am tired. As a side note, I make sure that I limit my liquids as well as my dogs. I don't want to be making a lot of potty breaks as it is inefficient. There are a lot of state sponsored rest stops along the way. Each one is going to have a spot for dogs. Even a gas station is going to have a patch of grass/weeds for the dogs to take a potty break. So while you are choosing between one or the other, look for one with a bigger boulevard or an empty lot behind their building. Simply give your spouse a call in the other car and say "the next rest stop or gas station so-and-so needs to take a potty break". When you do, make everybody attempt to go and then head-on-out! IMHO, there is no way you are going to pretime mother nature or when someone needs a stretch (like a driver who is getting restless etc). Point your car and go! Now if you were seeking advice on which has clean bathrooms, that might be a valid concern. Hey, I have an app idea! Someone should attach a clean bathroom rating to the Gasbuddy application!

Old 03-16-2016, 07:20 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,036,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I was told there are a handful of LaQuinta Inns that don't allow pets, so be sure to check before you book.

Also, most hotels that allow pets have a weight limit for dogs, but I'm not sure how tightly it's enforced.
The corporate policy is that all La Quinta's are pet friendly at no extra charge. Pet Policy.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:52 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhb210 View Post
Hello. We are moving from Phoenix to Denver at the end of the week, and planning to stop for a night in Albuquerque on the way out. I've never made the drive from here and wondering if anyone who has could recommend some good places to stop and let the dogs out on the way. Either gas stations or rest stops would be fine. We are taking two separate vehicles so we would like to coordinate where our breaks will be before we leave. We are also traveling with young kids, so we will need at least one stop each day of the trip and preferably two.

TIA!
Driving... with dogs;

Traveling... with children;

Two separate vehicles.

Sounds like great fun to me.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:01 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,376,994 times
I've driven some long hauls in one day, but I don't have pets. Pets and kids and passengers will all slow you down, of course. The most I ever did in one day was 1,200 miles from Denver to San Francisco. That was in a personal car by myself so no regulations or distractions. I've never driven around-the-clock/multiple days without sleep, but I know someone who claimed they drove from San Diego to Wisconsin in one go once they got out of the service and wanted to get home to see their wife.

Regardless, it is definitely more fun if you take your time and get out of the car to see the sights...but sometimes you just don't have time and gotta just get there.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:15 PM

6,834 posts, read 5,145,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The corporate policy is that all La Quinta's are pet friendly at no extra charge. Pet Policy.
Okay.

I'm just relating what a LaQuinta employee told me. It was in November of last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area