Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,076,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Just saw this. "Something like that, sadly happens everywhere." Let me assure, no it doesn't. I've lived in many cities in my 20 something years and have never seen that, heck I've even lived in the biggest city in America and didn't see that. That's not normal or expected especially in the presence of other people in a populated area.

I can agree with you that Downtown Chandler is looking much better than in the past and I'd actually stroll around for lesisure albeit with a weapon if what the PP said is true.
Simply because you saw one isolated incident that didn't sit well with you and it happened to be in Chandler does not mean it is by any means commonplace there. Because there was a school shooting in Littleton, Colorado does not mean that Littleton is a bad place to live. Far from it (I used to live right next door). It was one isolated incident that is not likely to ever be repeated. It has nothing to do with the environment in which it took place, but was the result of one or two bad eggs.

Chandler is close as vanilla a suburb as you can get and is generally regarded as very safe, especially for a city of well over 200,000 people. The schools there are among the best in Arizona - even overall rated better than Gilbert. There is a small older section near the downtown that still looks a little run down, but even that has seen newer development over the past several years so if anything it's improving, mostly thanks to a plethora of high paying tech jobs right there in Chandler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:14 PM

94 posts, read 119,628 times
I'd say drugs are a way bigger concern than gangs in AZ in general. The heroin and meth epidemic has become overwhelming. I mean in poor AND rich areas. Gangs are not really a thing in AZ like in other cities.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
I'd say drugs are a way bigger concern than gangs in AZ in general. The heroin and meth epidemic has become overwhelming. I mean in poor AND rich areas. Gangs are not really a thing in AZ like in other cities.
drugs are a problem everywhere so it's a moot point

Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 PM

770 posts, read 837,155 times
Transplants think because there is a new mall or new businesses that they are gang free. Reality is gangs such as CVL have been there for decades and they haven't gone anywhere. Just because you don't see them in your sparkling suburb doesn't mean they are not there. Who do you think is distributing all those pain pills and heroine everyone loves now. It's the cartels that use street gangs to distribute those drugs and they are in your community.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Simply because you saw one isolated incident that didn't sit well with you and it happened to be in Chandler does not mean it is by any means commonplace there. Because there was a school shooting in Littleton, Colorado does not mean that Littleton is a bad place to live. Far from it (I used to live right next door). It was one isolated incident that is not likely to ever be repeated. It has nothing to do with the environment in which it took place, but was the result of one or two bad eggs.

Chandler is close as vanilla a suburb as you can get and is generally regarded as very safe, especially for a city of well over 200,000 people. The schools there are among the best in Arizona - even overall rated better than Gilbert. There is a small older section near the downtown that still looks a little run down, but even that has seen newer development over the past several years so if anything it's improving, mostly thanks to a plethora of high paying tech jobs right there in Chandler.
Yes yes I know that just because I see something doesn't make it the norm but the poster who responded came off like it was totally normal to see people hitting their dog. Given I've lived all over including NYC I feel like I have a pretty solid handle on what people do and seen a good share of the bad in this country and it's not at all common to even hear about people beating their dog let alone seeing it on the street in downtown chandler.

I'm not going into specifics but I know plenty about Chandler and am not trying to tarnish the name of it but I'm also not going to act like its common for people to beat their dogs in the streets. As you said, it was in that particular downtown area where this incident occurred.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I've never witnessed a murder, but that happens in every major city in America, frequently in public and in front of people

It is normal and expected and also sad, criminal, unacceptable and a bunch of other awful things - but also reality...... Just like animal abuse. Do you think all the laws and resources to deal with animal abuse in NYC are there because animals aren't being abused there?
I try not to think about it. I just don't want to pretend it's normal to hit your dog downtown. That's the last thing from normal.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:22 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
It isn't a normal action. It is not something that frequent or done by the majority of the population. Most people will not encounter this type of action. It isn't the norm.

However, it is very normal for a large city to have minority of people commit animal abuse. It is normal for city to have a certain portion of the population that is ignorant and dumb as a stump.

It is possible for an action to not be the norm for a population, while having our be normal to exist within a large population.

Just look at all the reminders people need to not lock kids or pets in their car, but these stories pop up nationwide every summer

Old 07-08-2017, 05:19 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Yes yes I know that just because I see something doesn't make it the norm but the poster who responded came off like it was totally normal to see people hitting their dog. Given I've lived all over including NYC I feel like I have a pretty solid handle on what people do and seen a good share of the bad in this country and it's not at all common to even hear about people beating their dog let alone seeing it on the street in downtown chandler.

I'm not going into specifics but I know plenty about Chandler and am not trying to tarnish the name of it but I'm also not going to act like its common for people to beat their dogs in the streets. As you said, it was in that particular downtown area where this incident occurred.
I did not say it was "normal" to see people hitting their dog in public, but that such animal abuse, (sadly) can happen anywhere, and that an isolated incident of what one cruel person does in public to a dog has nothing to do with whether the city of Chandler is a good place to live. Such an incident could have happened in any number of cities, and would have nothing to do with those cities, either. A person like that can be found in any city.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:48 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Transplants think because there is a new mall or new businesses that they are gang free. Reality is gangs such as CVL have been there for decades and they haven't gone anywhere. Just because you don't see them in your sparkling suburb doesn't mean they are not there. Who do you think is distributing all those pain pills and heroine everyone loves now. It's the cartels that use street gangs to distribute those drugs and they are in your community.
Not to mention the coyote drop houses found in Scottsdale, I believe there was an article a few years back that some of the gang leadership from LA had homes in North Scottsdale. Judging from what I know from law enforcement friends of ours...Chandler is seeing an uptick in gang and terrorism suspects. It is not like they are shooting up neighborhoods...just that they like to live in nice places where they can "blend in".

Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,374 times
I know this post is extremely old but I was just looking around the local web to find out what is sparking all of this conflict and presence of new gangs recently in my neighborhood, but couldn't seem to find anything recent so ill say my side of the story. Ever since about a few months ago I have been speculating if these local kids are forming a new "gang", I live in the neighborhood just east of Hamilton st. Where Jackson st. is located etc. and I am used to taking nightly walks considering the violence in this neighborhood has been down for the recent years. But, recently I have been seeing groups of kids out past 12:00 am in narrow passages between houses, in the alleys, on the street corners etc. and whenever I roam past them they start yelling some type of gang slangs such as "B D NATION!!"? , "G D K"?, "DIE FIVE"? "BLACK RAG KILLA" yet they are wearing/holding black rags?, like I honestly do not understand what in the world these "street slangs" mean not to mention especially this slang they shout like "SOUTHSIDE KILLA!"?? really scares me considering I remember in the past there used to be multiple street gangs in this neighborhood while I was growing up, called south side chandler? I think it was. another was something like east side chandler, chandler varrio locos, west side chandler (I used to see these taggings all over my school, school bus, street corners, alleys etc. growing up which I didn't really pay attention too. From what I see I think they have formed their own gang and are waring with the old gangs that have HAD a presence here since the 90's? it honestly freaks me out and everything just seems so tense in my neighborhood at night with these gangs of kids literally taking over these street corners as their own. someone please relate/let me know what has been going on lately? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area