Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,870,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
On the flip side,

- I asked for the closest large mountain I could hike near Manhattan and the answer to that question wasn't nearly as appealing as what I can do in/around Phoenix.

- Looking for regional types of traditional Mexican food was problematic in NYC

- As an avid off-road cyclist I found my options in and around NYC to be less than thrilling

- My outdoor dining options for most of the year were pretty limited

- The ability to obtain tickets to many of NY's famed entertainment options on a normal person's budget was nearly impossible, although since it was a vacation we did splurge a bit.

- While casually researching rents, mainly for the entertainment factor, I questioned how middle class exists in the area. Then quickly realized it's necessary for most people to live very, very far away from the hustle and bustle that makes NYC appealing to so many.

Again, like you said, it depends on what a person wants to do if/when they travel. But some of us find Phoenix to be a much more ideal place to live and would not choose to live in a place NYC, even if finances allowed for it.

Now, SF on the other hand, has some geographic and weather advantages over NYC that make it pretty appealing to us outdoor lovers. Costs on other hand....
Every city in the West has mountains in close proximity. Phoenix is one of the worst outdoors cities in the West.

I think most people prefer hiking in a lush, beautiful terrain with streams and lakes as opposed to Phoenix and it's cactus, dirt and rock.

Phoenix is bottom shelf when it comes to hiking in the west. Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Tucson, and pretty much every California city are far superior when it comes to outdoors activities.

I find it hillarious, what sort of outdoor dining compared to other cities does Phoenix have. I mean outdoors dining is impossible half of the year when its like an oven here.

At least Manhattan has entertainment, the main source entertainment for the residents of Phoenix is driving in the 110 degree plus heat and staying at home watching sports.

San Francisco is very attractive place to live for many so it is expensive. The market has determined that Manhattan and San Francisco are far more valuable as opposed to Phoenix, Oklahoma City and Birmingham.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,870,551 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to post which has been deleted).

I call it as I personally see it. I have high praise for Gilbert, Queen Creek, Tempe and Scottsdale. They are forward-thinking, good places for alot of people. I have said many positive things about them.

I could come up with 100's of reasons why Gilbert is great, however when someone asks about Mesa and Phoenix the non-biased reality is that most of the areas are dumps with a few exceptions of course.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-31-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
[snip] I call it as I personally see it. I have high praise for Gilbert, Queen Creek, Tempe and Scottsdale. They are forward-thinking, good places for alot of people. I have said many positive things about them.

I could come up with 100's of reasons why Gilbert is great, however when someone asks about Mesa and Phoenix the non-biased reality is that most of the areas are dumps with a few exceptions of course.
I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

You give high praise to bedroom suburbs like Queen Creek and Gilbert but label practically all of Phoenix a dump?

What's even more comical is your assertion that downtown Phoenix is deserted and depressing.

What are the big attractions in downtown Gilbert or downtown Queen Creek compared to downtown Phoenix? I can't come up with anything.

Downtown Phoenix is a workcenter, a sports and concert mecca, a convention hub, a mass transit center, and it has recently become more of a destination for after-hours dining and nightlife.

It's not on the same scale of Manhattan or San Francisco but it has improved immensely since I moved here in 1996.

You don't seem to be very fond of Phoenix based on most of your postings so maybe you should move and take your negativity with you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-31-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

You give high praise to bedroom suburbs like Queen Creek and Gilbert but label practically all of Phoenix a dump?

What's even more comical is your assertion that downtown Phoenix is deserted and depressing.

What are the big attractions in downtown Gilbert or downtown Queen Creek compared to downtown Phoenix? I can't come up with anything.

Downtown Phoenix is a workcenter, a sports and concert mecca, a convention hub, a mass transit center, and it has recently become more of a destination for after-hours dining and nightlife.

It's not on the same scale of Manhattan or San Francisco but it has improved immensely since I moved here in 1996.

You don't seem to be very fond of Phoenix based on most of your postings so maybe you should move and take your negativity with you.
I have been in Downtown Phoenix often at night for work. I would say it's not a place you want to be when the sun goes down... I couldn't say the same for most of the East Valley. I could say the same for 3/4 of the city of Phoenix.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:34 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I have been in Downtown Phoenix often at night for work. I would say it's not a place you want to be when the sun goes down... I couldn't say the same for most of the East Valley. I could say the same for 3/4 of the city of Phoenix.
I have been to downtown Phoenix several times at night, once in the middle of the summertime when you would think it would be empty.

I was pleasantly surprised how busy it was, not anything comparable to New York, San Francisco, or Chicago but much more of a hub than it was just ten years ago.

Maybe it's different perceptions and tastes but I'd much rather be in downtown Phoenix on an active night than in superficial Scottsdale where the idea of nightlife is sitting in a club glaring at smartphones and taking selfies.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 AM

594 posts, read 699,592 times
Downtown Phoenix is HAPPENING ! They have a little bit of everything going on down there. Clubs have lines around the block to get in. Cityscape is a BEAST. I never envision downtown Phoenix this way, no wonder the real estate is so expensive, that place is POPPIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area