Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For me Surprise is the reason I love the area. No we are not moving there anytime soon. My parents did move there 13 years ago and love it. We almost followed in 2008. I still like the area. I like many other cities in the area as well but Surprise is a city my family, parents and siblings love. It has what we are looking for in a city.
Why is Surprise the reason you love the Phoenix area? Have you been to other parts of the valley? TGI Friday's, Walmart and cheap tract housing can be found just about everywhere. Surprise doesn't really seem to have anything unique going for it.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,985,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Why is Surprise the reason you love the Phoenix area? Have you been to other parts of the valley? TGI Friday's, Walmart and cheap tract housing can be found just about everywhere. Surprise doesn't really seem to have anything unique going for it.
I hear they got a Carl's Jr!

Old 03-31-2016, 03:59 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,849,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
No offense to any Glendale citizens, but it gets my vote. Its only saving grace is Westgate, and thats not saving much. Outside of that, its the premier definition of a sprawling, cookie cutter suburb that is absolutely forgettable and unremarkable.

Hate on!
I get it... Lol. Glendale has lots of crime near it's Downtown area, maybe even the most out of any of the other suburbs given it's proximity to Maryvale and Alhambra. But Glendale is a very large suburb, shaped like a backwards L, and in both of it's extreme fringes (Luke AFB and Arrowhead Ranch respectively) are very nice areas. But the closer you are to the DT area, the more ghetto it is. I live near Glendale Community College, while I'm still in a safe area, it's not the safest or the most appealing (lots of lower middle class homes, no HOAs, so on). It works for me though. I used to live out near Sun City in Peoria (near 100th ave. and Beardsley) and I felt like I was miles and miles away from everything, and since that was in the early 2000s and 1990s, it really was. I've been living in Glendale for more than a decade now and I like it here more despite Glendale's crime and worse homes. Glendale, again in most parts, is somewhat run down, but it has some character to it and it's closer to everything else. Almost everyone I know in Phoenix lives in the Paradise Valley (Phoenix village), North Scottsdale, Cave Creek area and it's nice to be closer to them.

If I had my way I agree with some of the other posters that Cave Creek or Carefree would be where I'd like to go. I think that area reminds me the most of the Catalina Foothills here in Tucson and I prefer the Foothills over Scottsdale and Paradise Valley for leagues because of it's desert landscaping and prominent adobe architecture (Scottsdale and PV are more Mediterranean-style overall), which Cave Creek definitely has.

Can anyone comment why Guadalupe has so many votes? It is an extremely small town just south of Tempe. I have never spent time over there but I always drive through it, it doesn't seem so bad.

Also I am kind of surprised by the results so far. It appears that the least favorite suburbs overall are in the Southeast Valley. This shocks me as I was expecting West Valley to be higher up in the votes... I knew Glendale would be up there but I am surprised at the votes for Scottsdale (Not SE Valley I know), Mesa, Gilbert, etc.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Cactus League Baseball down the street from my parents home. The aquatic center, beautiful library, 5 area golf courses, Whitetank Mountans Regional Park, Tennis and Raquetball facility, Any store I need is in the area, oh yes, and the low cost homes that are the kind of places I like. The plus is that most of it is less than 20 years old. I currently live in a city on the coast and a 1,600 square foot home that was built in the early 60's is in the $500,000 range. I could get a much newer home in Surprise for a lot less. Yes that is a factor. Still I see the area as having almost everything I want in a city. It is only missing the Ocean. LOL

Having the Air force base near by is a plus. I grew up not too far from a Navy Air base and loved having the aircraft overhead.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:03 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,729,881 times
Gilbert least desirable. That conservative cult is suffocating to be around.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,849,807 times
Quote:
Cactus League Baseball down the street from my parents home. The aquatic center, beautiful library, 5 area golf courses, Whitetank Mountans Regional Park, Tennis and Raquetball facility, Any store I need is in the area, oh yes, and the low cost homes that are the kind of places I like. The plus is that most of it is less than 20 years old. I currently live in a city on the coast and a 1,600 square foot home that was built in the early 60's is in the $500,000 range. I could get a much newer home in Surprise for a lot less. Yes that is a factor. Still I see the area as having almost everything I want in a city. It is only missing the Ocean. LOL

Having the Air force base near by is a plus. I grew up not too far from a Navy Air base and loved having the aircraft overhead.
As long as you are not directly under the flight path. Those things are loud! Davis-Monthan is especially loud during the day, but Luke isn't as busy of an air force base, so it may not be as bad.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks for elaborating. Every time I've been there I felt drowned by suburban blandness. Good to hear there is more than just cheap stucco boxes.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:42 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,729,881 times
Not only is Gilbert far too socially conservative..even the water tower leans to the right. Tempe and Scottsdale more socially progressive and a closer commute for most folks.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 PM

197 posts, read 454,993 times
Im also gonna vote Gilbert. Not because of the whole conservative stuff, Im just tired of hearing how everyone and their moms are moving there. If it weren't for Gilbert, I'd definitely choose the burbs in the the southwest region of the valley i.e. Goodyear, Buckeye, Litchfield. Too much sprawl and not sure what attracts people to live so far other than affordable housing.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
Im also gonna vote Gilbert. Not because of the whole conservative stuff, Im just tired of hearing how everyone and their moms are moving there. If it weren't for Gilbert, I'd definitely choose the burbs in the the southwest region of the valley i.e. Goodyear, Buckeye, Litchfield. Too much sprawl and not sure what attracts people to live so far other than affordable housing.
Wait, huh? Are you complaining about sprawl and boring far-out suburbs with nothing but cheap houses, and then recommending Goodyear and Buckeye?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area