Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 11:42 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,105,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Naysayers...before you say it can't be done....look here and here...My original take early this morning was the same as yours...until I googled it. To say it cannot be done is wrong, to say it can be done on a large enough scale to provide for a "conventional" home...could be just a matter of time, who knows. How many inventors have been told it can't be done....?
It would be nice to have a controller that combines DC power from a solar array, and AC grid power. Seems like that is what this guy is doing? Not a simple switch, but the ability to use just as much grid power as necessary and do this automatically.

Batteries are still too expensive, and a grid tie puts us at the mercy of the power company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:18 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,176,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It would be nice to have a controller that combines DC power from a solar array, and AC grid power. Seems like that is what this guy is doing? Not a simple switch, but the ability to use just as much grid power as necessary and do this automatically.

Batteries are still too expensive, and a grid tie puts us at the mercy of the power company.
And the premium they charge solar customers.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,353,293 times
I'm wondering, do you really need an A/C in Az? Maybe during the monsoons, but we used a window unit in the living room and the bedroom for those times in Tucson. Otherwise, the low humidity made a swamp cooler work well. It would be easy to power a swamp cooler w/ the sun. An A/C will need LOTS more energy. You must port a portable A/C to the outside w/ a big vent or it will never cool anything down. Just get a couple of efficient and inexpensive window units.

I would agree on never tying into an electric company's grid! They're the people that solar is used to avoid. The batteries are expensive, yes, but if they're maintained correctly you can get a lot of life out of them. Truly, going solar means a small, efficient home that is designed from the ground up for that, or retrofitting an existing place, which is more expensive and usually doesn't work as well. The places we saw in Hawaii and New Mexico that were off grid were designed that way from the beginning w/ propane fridges and cooking, along w/ solar water heaters combined w/ on demand propane water heaters for those days w/ little sun. Helps to go to 12V lights, etc too.

Last edited by smarino; 04-15-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 01:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,158,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

Using a window A/C would be an OK idea to save money, but who wants an A/C unit hanging out their window? My HOA would have a fit.

I've been using my evap cooler for about 3 weeks this year already.
There are small split system package units made to cool just one room or small spaces, so HOA's should have no problem with using those. But they are more expensive per SF than a larger unit made to cool multiple rooms.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 AM

71 posts, read 162,556 times
Hello, I really appreciate all of your helpful inputs !

1. DougStark - You are right about HOA having a fit about installing a window A/C; but I think living in a house (instead of a condo) will not have such a problem, no? Could you recommend some evaporative coolers to buy (maybe the ones you have been using)? I have checked SRP’s EZ-3 Price Plans – thank you!

2. Hikernut – What if you have the portable unit (turned on) right next to you? In this case it wouldn’t matter if other parts of the room are still hot (I could be wrong, of course).

3. Smarino – Are those 12V lights “compact fluorescent bulbs”?

4. Does hardwood help cool down the indoor temperature a bit, comparing to carpet?

Thank you once again!

Joe

Last edited by Jozeph; 04-17-2016 at 04:42 AM..

Old 04-17-2016, 07:14 AM

19,460 posts, read 27,942,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph View Post
Hello, I really appreciate all of your helpful inputs !

1. DougStark - You are right about HOA having a fit about installing a window A/C; but I think living in a house (instead of a condo) will not have such a problem, no?

Joe
Wrong. HOA's control single family homes as well. (In condo communities, they are generally called the condo association instead of an HOA.) Every HOA set of rules I've ever seen forbids window air conditioners. I would not be surprised if some HOA's do not allow swamp coolers.

You also need to realize that finding a SFR that is not in a HOA in the Phoenix metro area can be frustrating. Not impossible, but it will dramatically reduce your choices and very likely require that you purchase an older property.

It is clear from this and your other threads that the Phoenix heat is a major concern for you - both your own personal tolerance of it as well as the utility cost associated with cooling down. I would (again) encourage you to look elsewhere for your relocation.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:58 AM

772 posts, read 841,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I'm wondering, do you really need an A/C in Az? Maybe during the monsoons, but we used a window unit in the living room and the bedroom for those times in Tucson. Otherwise, the low humidity made a swamp cooler work well. It would be easy to power a swamp cooler w/ the sun. An A/C will need LOTS more energy. You must port a portable A/C to the outside w/ a big vent or it will never cool anything down. Just get a couple of efficient and inexpensive window units.

I would agree on never tying into an electric company's grid! They're the people that solar is used to avoid. The batteries are expensive, yes, but if they're maintained correctly you can get a lot of life out of them. Truly, going solar means a small, efficient home that is designed from the ground up for that, or retrofitting an existing place, which is more expensive and usually doesn't work as well. The places we saw in Hawaii and New Mexico that were off grid were designed that way from the beginning w/ propane fridges and cooking, along w/ solar water heaters combined w/ on demand propane water heaters for those days w/ little sun. Helps to go to 12V lights, etc too.
Indeed we use the swamp cooler most of the year and only turn the a/c on when the dew point gets in the 50's. This would be the most cost effective way for op to go solar.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:52 PM

375 posts, read 611,409 times
Quote:
Hello:

A friend to me that it would be a good idea to install a solar powered air conditioner if one lives in places like Phoenix in Arizona. And based on his statement, I have come up with the following questions -

1. What would be the minimum cost to install a solar powered air conditioner? Could one install it if he/she lives in a condo?

2. How cost effective is to install a solar powered air conditioner, in the short/long run?

3. What would be the yearly maintenance/repair costs in this case, on average? Does it breaks easily? How often would one have to replace the solar panels?

4. Could someone recommend a reputable company that installs solar powered air conditioners?

Thank you all for your willingness to help me; I find that people in Arizona are very nice (on this forum) .

Kind Regards,

Joe
I run an air conditioner/heat pump on solar panels. It starts just fine on a cold start. Occasionally it finds that spot in the electrical cycle and locks up after the compressor cycles. I'm working on that problem. It will require a "soft start" circuit. Frigidaire FFRH0822R1. It runs on 120VAC. Horizontal window mount or through the wall. Your choice. Anything larger requires 220VAC. It is on sale with free delivery for less than $400 on line. I bought a second one.
It is a true heat pump although it does have a small a strip heater that comes on when the outside temperature drops. I think the theoretical minimum temperature for heat pumps is 40F.
I have a hybrid inverter and operate my system at 24V. 48V. is better but I can't speak for a 12V. Too much "sag" in the system. 3 strings of three of 330 panels, Midnite solar charge controller and 440A/H battery bank.
Most hot summer days, I use a small swamp cooler. Much more efficient.

sounds like you haven't installed a solar system yet. Solar not "set it and forget it.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:05 PM

6,792 posts, read 5,105,525 times
Quote:
Hikernut – What if you have the portable unit (turned on) right next to you? In this case it wouldn’t matter if other parts of the room are still hot (I could be wrong, of course).
That is a possibility. Of course it only works if you are sitting/lying still, as in sleeping, watching TV, reading, or working at a desk. And then each of those locations needs to be relatively close to a window that opens so you can attach the exhaust tube.

I personally wouldn't like cold air blowing directly on my skin for long periods of time, but YMMV.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,062,527 times
Joe, I have a MasterCool evap cooler, single inlet with 8 inch thick rigid cooler pads. They're made in Texas I believe. It keeps my 2300 sq. ft. home cool enough unless the humidity goes up too high.

The HOA has left me alone about it since the cooler is the same color as my house and it's sitting on the floor of my upper deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: