Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM

71 posts, read 161,879 times

Advertisements

Hello, Thank you for the detailed responses once again!

Jkgourmet – I am surprised that HOA also controls single family homes. I understand that Phoenix might not be a good fit for me, so I might have to start looking elsewhere, like Tucson, which is not as hot in summer.

Coop01 – Wow, you are definitely tech savvy. Please correct me if I am wrong - Frigidaire FFRH0822R1 saves energy because it runs on 120VAC instead of 220VAC, no? Could you explain what is a strip heater? In your message you mentioned “330 panels” … are they 330-watt solar panels?

DougStark – I will remember to shop for a MasterCool evaporative cooler in the future .

Joe

Last edited by Jozeph; 04-19-2016 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 11:33 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph View Post
Jkgourmet – I am surprised that HOA also controls single family homes. I understand that Phoenix might not be a good fit for me, so I might have to start looking elsewhere, like Tucson, which is not as hot in summer.
The temperature difference between most of Tucson and most of Phoenix is insignificant. Annual average - Tucson is between 2-3 degrees lower than Phoenix.

Joe, I'm beginning to suspect you've never purchased a home before? If I am correct, please rent prior to your purchase. And take that time to learn about purchasing, mortgaging and maintaining a home. take a first time home buyers class. It ain't all joy and roses. For many people, renting is a much better decision (and that may apply to you, considering that you have some disabilities).

HOA's are rampant in many parts of the country, including Tucson and Phoenix Metro. I'll generalize, but any home that was built after 1985-1990 that is in your lower price range and is near public transportation is PROBABLY in an HOA in either city. Personally, I'm a fan of HOA's. All four homes I've owned were in HOA communities, and that was one of the reasons I purchased them.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM

375 posts, read 608,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph View Post
Hello, Thank you for the detailed responses once again!

Coop01 – Wow, you are definitely tech savvy. Please correct me if I am wrong - Frigidaire FFRH0822R1 saves energy because it runs on 120VAC instead of 220VAC, no? Could you explain what is a strip heater? In your message you mentioned “330 panels” … are they 330-watt solar panels?

Joe
The solar panels are indeed 330 watts each. My system inverter outputs 120 volts only so I selected a AC/heat pump unit that would operate at that voltage. Generally - higher voltage (200 volt) units are more efficient. If you are not concerned with heating, most small AC units should work ok.
My hybrid inverter selects from APS, propane generator or solar battery based on parameters that I select.

The Mastercool evaporative cooler is a good option also. Bonaire Durango (model 5900 ?) is a similar unit. It uses about 500 watts. I think there is a place for both refrigerated air and evaporative cooling. I am looking for a new evaporative cooler and one of these may fill the bill because the old style cubes are a maintenance chore. The Mastercool and Bonaire are UV stabilized plastic. Reviews from users claim that they are running for ten years or longer. Of course, YMMV

IMO Your best bet is to spend your money on good tight insulation and thermal windows first.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:13 AM

53 posts, read 89,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Naysayers...before you say it can't be done....look here and here...My original take early this morning was the same as yours...until I googled it. To say it cannot be done is wrong, to say it can be done on a large enough scale to provide for a "conventional" home...could be just a matter of time, who knows. How many inventors have been told it can't be done....?

Regards
Gemstone1
You got my attention!

Old 05-11-2016, 04:29 AM

71 posts, read 161,879 times
Hello, guys – sorry for the late response; I have been busy packing.

Jkgourmet, thank you for the advice. I will be staying with a friend first, before deciding on my next move. I would like to later purchase a home (if practical) where HOA will allow me to install evaporative coolers … it will be a small wish of mine.

Cooo01, thank you for sharing. What does APS stands for? Do you mean Bonaire Durango functions as an air conditioner and evaporative cooler? If so, that would be awesome! Could you maybe recommend a reputable company that installs thermal windows?

Thank you once again; I really appreciate it!

Regards,

Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: