Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:39 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^^ hmm, not sure about its quality; my brother gave it to me. Yeah, it's felt. I'll let the experts advise me if it's worth fixing vs. buying a new one.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
^^^^ hmm, not sure about its quality; my brother gave it to me. Yeah, it's felt. I'll let the experts advise me if it's worth fixing vs. buying a new one.
Well they are all going to be felt...except a straw hat obviously...it just depends on the blend of Beaver fur to rabbit fur in the hat. Wool hats tend to be VERY cheap but the first time you get them wet, they will lose their shape. The more "X"s on the inside hat band, the more beaver fur it has and the more expensive it is. Stetson's 100X Cattleman runs north of $1000.00 and is made entirely of beaver fur. A 20X will run you around $250 - $300. I have noticed some manufacturers just throwing "X"s on the hat band and not claiming a quality...just to throw off the consumer...but if you have a Stetson, Resistol, Charlie 1 Horse, Larry Mahan ...basically one of the big manufacturers...they should be holding to the standard "X" rating.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
^^^thanks, Kurt. I have a lot to learn on this topic.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:17 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
cowtown boots on i17 and thunderbird. Huge store, all kinds of awesome boots, hats, clothes, belts, buckles, etc. many known/popular/reputable brands as well

Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
cowtown boots on i17 and thunderbird. Huge store, all kinds of awesome boots, hats, clothes, belts, buckles, etc. many known/popular/reputable brands as well

On their website, it doesn't even say that they sell hats. Even if they do, I'm not sure about the reconditioning/blocking/repair part. I'd go with Heritage to do that.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 AM

805 posts, read 2,001,481 times
They sell dozens and dozens of hats, and i've taken stetsons to get reconditioned as well as stretched at that location.
heritage may be better at it, but cowtown is a fairly large and diverse western store

Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
They sell dozens and dozens of hats, and i've taken stetsons to get reconditioned as well as stretched at that location.
heritage may be better at it, but cowtown is a fairly large and diverse western store

Good to know.

I assumed they sold them, so I was surprised when their website literally said nothing about hats, selling, reconditioning or otherwise. Either place is a long drive for the OP, so it's his choice.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM

296 posts, read 364,493 times
Not sure about hat repair, but I did want to mention that I've seen practical Western wear at Shopper's Supply. They have a location in Chandler and Apache Junction. Just in case you need something new in the future.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM

53 posts, read 89,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
It depends on whether someone desires to be just a cutesy-cute, western-wear wearing, fakey-fake, fancy-pants dude, or a real-life rough & tough cowpuncher like myself.
If your talking Wranglers, Ropers, and hats with the sides turned up like I see all in TX wear, then those are all Hollywood fabrications all the way down to the drop loop holsters that were originally fictionated from the creative mind of "Alfonso Of Hollywood". Alfonsos gunleather gunbelts and leather gun holsters

In real history, not fabricated history to make money, real cowboys actually wore boots that went to the knee, pants with no belt or back pockets, flat brimmed hats to keep sun off, gun belts that went around the waist with a holster and gun riding high and out of the way.
Saddles never EVER! in the 1800's had padded suede leather seats like I see in the roping events.

What type of tree does your saddle have sir?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:43 AM

53 posts, read 89,331 times
The real stuff...............
Wild West Mercantile – Authentic Old West Clothing , Western Clothing, Victorian & Historical for Men and Women from the old west Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) Sponsor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area