Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I like Jordan's on 7th Ave....
Nitram, I've eaten at Jordan's also and I liked it, but it's on 7th Street, not 7th Ave, between Bethany Home Road and Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:01 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Nitram, I've eaten at Jordan's also and I liked it, but it's on 7th Street, not 7th Ave, between Bethany Home Road and Maryland.
I thought you were a fan of the "Taco Bell"...

Old 02-14-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I thought you were a fan of the "Taco Bell"...
Not really, but I liked that chihuahua they used in their commercials (Yo quiero Taco Bell).

Old 02-14-2008, 08:56 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,231,385 times
Quote:
Jordan's on 7th Ave is still open. Just ate there. It's the Jordan's on Central Ave that is closed.
thanks - i had a late night case of the idiots

i work on central and flipped them in my mind for some dumb reason

yes - it's central that is closed and the other (7th st) is still open

Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
You are correct, I've eaten there for 40 years, can't believe I got the ave vs the st mixed up. Must've been the tequilla. Hope bummer didn't see that or it's off to the room, again...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
You are correct, I've eaten there for 40 years, can't believe I got the ave vs the st mixed up. Must've been the tequilla. Hope bummer didn't see that or it's off to the room, again...
That's okay Nitram, it's only your first strike. Besides, Bummer lives in Tucson, so it wouldn't matter to him.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM

225 posts, read 962,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Yes, and yes, I agree with both of you, silverbear and sweattearose. Leaving aside the "authenticity" issue, many gringo-mex places often have better food. Actually, even La Parrilla Suiza is a fairly commercialized, Americanized restaurant, even if they attempt to serve Mexico City region cuisine. El Taco Tote, my favorite place, is actually a Mexico-based chain, and it definitely caters to a Hispanic market, and you will definitely hear Spanish being spoken there, as well as norteno music, but in many ways their concept is very Americanized, where you order at the counter and they give you a buzzer when your food is ready. It's set up just like quick casual places like Baja Fresh, with a salsa bar, only that their tacos are much better. The meat they use is definitely a grade higher than most places. However, I think the flavors are still very authentic. When it comes to the gringo-Mex places, my favorite is El Torrito, a California based chain. A local chain called Rositas is also pretty good, with good fajitas. I agree with steve-o and others that Macayos is gross.
El Taco Tote is not very authentic. It's a chain of national burrito joints that tries to market itself as a more authentic Mexican version of an Ell Poll Loco. It may have been found in Mexico but it's cuisine is really US/Mexico border style of food as opposed to real inland Mexican and coastal Mexican food. And it's not a restaurant either. It is really good though and I recommend it, but one shouldn't get the idea they are eating the real deal because they aren't.

The way to determine if a restaurant is truly authentic Mexican is if they offer a lot of seafood items(Pescado and Mariscos) and some of the soups like Menudo in addition to cold seafood soups. Examine the cheese as well. The American restaurants will use a lot of yellow cheddar or American cheese on their dishes. Mexican cheese is white and doesn't melt as well. Real Mexican places don't melt a lot of cheese on their items because it's expensive and it will be very skimpy in appearance. La Parilla Es Suiza' menu reflects more of that by far.

Welcome to El Taco Tote (http://www.tacotote.com/c2a.htm - broken link)
Look at that menu and tell me that's "authentic"

Last edited by sweettearose; 02-14-2008 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
I believe it's all a matter of semantics. It's really what appeals and taste good to you. Not everyone has the same tastes, and what is great tasting to one may not be for another. It's best to try different places and decide what you like best.
It's like those that like their steaks rare, medium or well done. It just boils down to what you like.
The OP may take one of our suggestions and like it, then again they may say what were they thinking of, yuck.
As far as Mexican places to eat, they really vary a lot. Some are hot, some are spicy, some are Mexico style, some are American style. And then what you drink, tequilla, beer, coke, etc with the with the food makes a difference in taste too.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 PM

641 posts, read 2,367,318 times
I like Rositas . There is one in Mesa on Dobson and Guadalupe, and one in Tempe on
hardy and university. If you want some good cheap stuff, I like fillabertos. They are all over the place.

Ama

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
We just ate at La Perla Cafe in Glendale on Friday night. It's a locally owned, non-chain with a lot of its own character. The food was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area