Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:12 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I noticed that gas isn't nearly as popular here as San Diego. From seeing what people I know here who has gas are paying, I realized that Southwest gas charges way above and beyond what SDG&E charges for gas. I think cost has a lot to do with the unpopularity. Good luck finding any middle class+ single family house with an electric stove in San Diego. Back home it's just an apartment thing. It's hard to find gas here outside of the oldest homes. I much prefer gas myself to cook but, if I have to cook on electric, which I do, I prefer the coil top. Cast iron and glass top stoves do NOT go together. Also, burned on crap on glass tops is very difficult to clean. Even oven cleaner barely makes a dent.
Yeah, it's funny how cities vary widely as far as infrastructures. I lived in places that gas was next to impossible to get for cooking. Others, nothing but gas. Most of the time there's little rhyme or reason.

I just got done doing a kitchen remodel in a Raleigh NC. They looked at me like I was from Mars when I mentioned gas. "Too dangerous in high rise buildings!!!" (except virtually every high rise condo in Portland OR has gas cooking). I said fine, put in an induction unit, which, while I would have preferred gas, does a very nice job, perhaps better in a couple of ways. Good thing I'm not too attached to campfire cooking or I'd starve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:05 AM

550 posts, read 1,129,285 times
Quote:
I noticed that gas isn't nearly as popular here as San Diego. From seeing what people I know here who has gas are paying, I realized that Southwest gas charges way above and beyond what SDG&E charges for gas. I think cost has a lot to do with the unpopularity. Good luck finding any middle class+ single family house with an electric stove in San Diego. Back home it's just an apartment thing. It's hard to find gas here outside of the oldest homes. I much prefer gas myself to cook but, if I have to cook on electric, which I do, I prefer the coil top. Cast iron and glass top stoves do NOT go together. Also, burned on crap on glass tops is very difficult to clean. Even oven cleaner barely makes a dent.
I use "Le Creuset" pots on my glass top without problem. The best product to clean the cooktop is Ceramabryte. They also have a scraper that you can use for the burned food sticking on the glass. My cooktop is 7 years old and looks like new.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:46 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
I think it is safety concerns. I don't know how much builders consider it, but inhaling the combustion products of natural gas can be hazardous to your health. Open flames make it easy for people (and kids) to start fires with natural gas stoves, ignite their clothing, hair etc. Open flames will ignite splattering grease too. Overall, electric is just a safer alternative, though gas is great because it is quick.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:01 PM

744 posts, read 880,778 times
Quote:
Also, burned on crap on glass tops is very difficult to clean. Even oven cleaner barely makes a dent.
Isn't that the truth? They are RIDICULOUS to clean! Can't use the green part of the sponge because it scratches the glass...razor blades work okay, but doesn't get the really baked on crap...and the paste stove top cleaners are a joke.

Also mine is off by 25 degrees so I have to figure out if I can calibrate it myself.

Gas is the best choice. Period.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:04 PM

744 posts, read 880,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanSi View Post
My sister has a gas cooktop and finds it very hard to keep a constant temperature
when cooking.
As a Chef, this made me chuckle!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:53 AM

45 posts, read 38,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I have a gas fireplace, dryer and water heater but the geniuses that built the house didn't have the gas line run to the kitchen. I got several bids to have the line run and it was going to be around $5k, although it seemed like most didn't even want to do it. I compromised and got an induction range and it has exceeded my expectations.
The most likely scenario is that the people who originally built the house didn't want to pay to have gas lines run to the kitchen. When we built, we had gas "roughed in" to the kitchen to the tune of 500 bucks or so. We did it mainly for resale value, as now any future buyers can have whichever they want. We still have a smoothtop electric to this day because we didn't want to pay the builders rediculous price for upgraded appliances.

We could have also had a line run for the dryer (we choose not to) for another additional fee.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:35 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
I own a plumbing company and I can tell you the reason is mainly price. It's one of those features when building people skip to save money. We get calls daily wanting gas ran to the kitchen for gas stoves. The price of hook up puts people off and one out of five that start out wanting a gas stove forget it once they realize how much it costs to put in. Only people who really enjoy cooking usually opt for it.

Most just stick with electric stoves and bbq with gas. We are fortunate to be able to cook outside most of the year.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,089,287 times
I have a Samsung induction cooktop. As a former chef and cook I can unequivocably state that its temperature control far exceeds any gas range I've ever cooked on. Cast iron cookware can be death on glass tops for sure, but with care they can be used just fine. Virtually all I use is cast iron and blue steel pans. No problem. Just don't scrap the pan across the glass or heaven forbid drop one.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,314,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Yeah, it's funny how cities vary widely as far as infrastructures. I lived in places that gas was next to impossible to get for cooking. Others, nothing but gas. Most of the time there's little rhyme or reason.

I just got done doing a kitchen remodel in a Raleigh NC. They looked at me like I was from Mars when I mentioned gas. "Too dangerous in high rise buildings!!!" (except virtually every high rise condo in Portland OR has gas cooking). I said fine, put in an induction unit, which, while I would have preferred gas, does a very nice job, perhaps better in a couple of ways. Good thing I'm not too attached to campfire cooking or I'd starve
Coming from the Midwest, where I always had gas stoves, it was really hard to get used to electric. I hate electric stoves! Back in the Midwest you had gas heat, so the gas lines were already in place and it was no big deal to also have a gas stove. Here that's not the case.

Thankfully the house I live in now has a gas stove.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:07 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I own a plumbing company and I can tell you the reason is mainly price. It's one of those features when building people skip to save money. We get calls daily wanting gas ran to the kitchen for gas stoves. The price of hook up puts people off and one out of five that start out wanting a gas stove forget it once they realize how much it costs to put in. Only people who really enjoy cooking usually opt for it.

Most just stick with electric stoves and bbq with gas. We are fortunate to be able to cook outside most of the year.
So Poppy if I have gas in the attic over the kitchen, what's the general expense of running it to the oven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: