Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
So Poppy if I have gas in the attic over the kitchen, what's the general expense of running it to the oven?
Your gas system is sized for the fixtures you have, so gas in the attic is generally already allocated. Mostly we will go back to the gas meter and run a new line, which will usually cost between $1000-$1500. We have had situations where a customer had gas for a dryer they weren't using and were able to repurpose the line for half that cost. Anyway, thats just a ballpark. Every job is different. Then on top of that is the cost of the new gas oven.

Last edited by PoppySead; 05-01-2016 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:21 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I use "Le Creuset" pots on my glass top without problem. The best product to clean the cooktop is Ceramabryte. They also have a scraper that you can use for the burned food sticking on the glass. My cooktop is 7 years old and looks like new.
Your input was very good. If you can keep it looking nice they are beautiful appliances. That being said, lew creuset is enameled and doesn't have the rough cast iron finish like my pans

Old 05-02-2016, 12:16 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Your gas system is sized for the fixtures you have, so gas in the attic is generally already allocated. Mostly we will go back to the gas meter and run a new line, which will usually cost between $1000-$1500. We have had situations where a customer had gas for a dryer they weren't using and were able to repurpose the line for half that cost. Anyway, thats just a ballpark. Every job is different. Then on top of that is the cost of the new gas oven.
Good to know (and that probably explains the high bids people mention) thanks

Old 05-02-2016, 09:41 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Good to know (and that probably explains the high bids people mention) thanks
Anytime! If you ever have a plumbing question feel free to PM me.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:19 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,014 times
Quote:
Anytime! If you ever have a plumbing question feel free to PM me.
Will do. Thanks

Old 05-08-2016, 09:12 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I have a gas fireplace, dryer and water heater but the geniuses that built the house didn't have the gas line run to the kitchen. I got several bids to have the line run and it was going to be around $5k, although it seemed like most didn't even want to do it. I compromised and got an induction range and it has exceeded my expectations.
Induction range: excellent idea. I didn't realize they are available.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:20 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,167 times
Quote:
I own a plumbing company and I can tell you the reason is mainly price. It's one of those features when building people skip to save money. We get calls daily wanting gas ran to the kitchen for gas stoves. The price of hook up puts people off and one out of five that start out wanting a gas stove forget it once they realize how much it costs to put in. Only people who really enjoy cooking usually opt for it.

Most just stick with electric stoves and bbq with gas. We are fortunate to be able to cook outside most of the year.
PoppySead, slightly off-topic question here since you're in the plumbing business: in new home construction, do builders insulate the hot water line from the water heater to all of the hot water fixtures? I suspect they don't and can't figure out why they don't take the minimal effort to do this. All they'd have to do is wrap the line with foam insulators.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:20 PM

13,281 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
I own a plumbing company and I can tell you the reason is mainly price. It's one of those features when building people skip to save money. We get calls daily wanting gas ran to the kitchen for gas stoves. The price of hook up puts people off and one out of five that start out wanting a gas stove forget it once they realize how much it costs to put in. Only people who really enjoy cooking usually opt for it.

Most just stick with electric stoves and bbq with gas. We are fortunate to be able to cook outside most of the year.

why does it cost so much to run a gas line? I mean I have heard quotes of $5000 to run the line though the attic down the wall they didn't even fix the dry wall have to call in a dry wall guy to fix that. They said it would take 1 day to do the work that's $625 an hour? seems really high. Ended up pulling a permit and doing it myself for far less. Maybe you don't charge that kind of money.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM

106 posts, read 251,482 times
When we remodeled our kitchen we were floored by the cost to run gas to the kitchen so opted for induction. It was a great decision and we couldn't be happier. The only negative was having to buy new cookware but it was **far** less than the gas option. And much better than the standard electric cooktop. Induction has some neat safety features that work well for us since we have cats that refuse to stay off the counters.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:03 PM

39 posts, read 72,629 times
So far nobody has brought up the option of propane. It would seem to me, at least for a single family home, that it would be rather easy to install a propane converted gas stove with an appropriately sized smaller tank placed outside. In my home, for instance, the stove is on an outside wall and would only require a few feet of gas line. I bring this up because I've considered upgrading my kitchen in this manner. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: