Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:35 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
Thank you for the info everyone! I was just looking at south Tempe. We will definitely look more in that area as well. It is more expensive though. But I guess you get what you pay for
We are looking to stay around $1200 a month or less for a 3 bedroom house. I don't know if we can find that in South Tempe.
Try Chandler, commute will be 30, but it's cheaper and is a nice city. There are some nice areas between Arizona Ave (87) and I10.

There are some nicer developments near the 101/202 stack that make commuting easy for example. I see a few in your range along Alma School between Chandler and the 202.

There are a lot near the 101 and say Ray. That would be a doable commute (I've done similar ones).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:46 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Well...$1200/mo on a 30yr with 3% down (there are still programs out there) would put you right around $200k give or take depending on PMI/HI/Taxes. If you go with a 3/1 or 5/1 you may get more and re-fi later.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:52 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
We don't have to go to that specific area. It's just the closest to my husbands work. Is south Tempe much better? I think of College town when I think of Tempe. Maybe I'm wrong? What area would you suggest that would be about 15 minutes from Southern and 32nd st?
South Tempe is MILES better than most anywhere in that area. Once you get a couple of miles from the University, Tempe doesn't feel much like a college town at all. I've lived in south Tempe for over 40 years.

You were looking at a pretty broad range east to west, so I'm not sure where your husband is working, but if it's somewhere in the middle of that area, might as well cross the freeway and go into Tempe.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
And here we have an example of why the "exurbs" become popular - not saying the OP won't be able to find something that works (in Tempe or otherwise) - but my guess is it won't be anywhere near what they are getting in Maricopa.

Of course you pay for that in loss of time with husband while commuting etc. - but it isn't always as easy of a choice as some think here on C-D.

For those that said - "total ghetto" to the OPs original question - would Maricopa be an option? I think many would say in it's own way that is just as bad. But if people only have so much budget - which do you choose? Worse area but closer to work - or nicer home/neighborhood but a bit of a drive?

Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM

770 posts, read 837,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
"Hardcore ghetto area" - TempeAZnative
The area speaks for itself, but to be honest I could care less if you want to say 7th St/Broadway, or 16th St/Broadway, 20th St/Southern are awesome safe gentrified areas go for it. I hope the OP posts their experience once they move into the area. Op have fun living in the area Bungle says it's awesome so go for it.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM

136 posts, read 366,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
The area speaks for itself, but to be honest I could care less if you want to say 7th St/Broadway, or 16th St/Broadway, 20th St/Southern are awesome safe gentrified areas go for it. I hope the OP posts their experience once they move into the area. Op have fun living in the area Bungle says it's awesome so go for it.
Thank you! We are definitely still looking in that area. I will let you know what we decide and how we like it

Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
And here we have an example of why the "exurbs" become popular - not saying the OP won't be able to find something that works (in Tempe or otherwise) - but my guess is it won't be anywhere near what they are getting in Maricopa.

Of course you pay for that in loss of time with husband while commuting etc. - but it isn't always as easy of a choice as some think here on C-D.

For those that said - "total ghetto" to the OPs original question - would Maricopa be an option? I think many would say in it's own way that is just as bad. But if people only have so much budget - which do you choose? Worse area but closer to work - or nicer home/neighborhood but a bit of a drive?
We like Maricopa and would stay here if it was just a twice a day commute and normal hours for my husband, but he works on call from 8am to 9pm, so he could be home with us for a few hours in between jobs if we lived closer.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:37 PM

What about Tolleson? Is that area ok?

Old 05-12-2016, 04:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:

Parts of it are better than others (it's like Avondale in that regard). Don't know why you are going so far west-- that commute is very congested, the afternoon traffic backup starts VERY early, and he would be heading into the sun both ways when he is traveling during normal commute hours (I realize his hours are odd). I think looking east, or for that matter north/northeast, makes more sense than west.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
I would look into Phoenix proper east of 24th St mainly between Oak and Indian School, or Tempe between Broadway and US 60
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area