Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times

Advertisements

We're in mesa near Ellsworth and Broadway, am interested I. being a solar system. Who are our options, what's the pros and cons, costs, and anything else we need to know.

Or alternatively you may direct me to a thread or link which can provide all this information.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM

39 posts, read 43,459 times
I used to think solar would be awesome. I can't see installing one without a battery bank. There is little advantage if you can't store the power. How big of a bank would actually be useful? Remember they drain three times faster than they charge. And batteries in AZ seem to fail prematurely. With the cost of the panels, and the replacement of batteries being $150 each every two or few years I just don't see the savings. And then the dust. Panels need to be cleaned daily, especially in the east valley. All those farms and open plains near by really kick up the dust. Dust will steal solar efficiency quickly.

If it's for green consciousness and you can afford the installation and don't mind the up-keep then go for it. My hat is off to you. Then, we get most of our power from hydroelectric. Green isn't really an issue.

I'm no expert. I had considered it and these were the issues that put me off of it.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrisSevvin View Post
I used to think solar would be awesome. I can't see installing one without a battery bank. There is little advantage if you can't store the power. How big of a bank would actually be useful? Remember they drain three times faster than they charge. And batteries in AZ seem to fail prematurely. With the cost of the panels, and the replacement of batteries being $150 each every two or few years I just don't see the savings. And then the dust. Panels need to be cleaned daily, especially in the east valley. All those farms and open plains near by really kick up the dust. Dust will steal solar efficiency quickly.

If it's for green consciousness and you can afford the installation and don't mind the up-keep then go for it. My hat is off to you. Then, we get most of our power from hydroelectric. Green isn't really an issue.

I'm no expert. I had considered it and these were the issues that put me off of it.
Thanks for the reply. Well my father has solar system, it was no cost for the system or installation. He has a small electric bill each month and then gets paid back some by srp at the end of the year. And no upkeep or maintenance. Any thing that goes wrong is repaired by the company at their cost.

I just want to see what all other options there are out there.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Grid connect is a risky proposition, in my opinion. One can hope they will be grandfathered in case the rules are changed, but of course there are no guarantees. In Nevada, solar customers really got screwed when the law was changed.

If you have an application that doesn't require storage it might be worth a try, but I can't think of many. Pool pump seems like a good one if you have a pool.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
SRP effectively killed residential solar. It is not a good investment now like it was in the past. Not sure if APS charges a "grid" fee yet.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:55 PM

375 posts, read 609,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Grid connect is a risky proposition, in my opinion. One can hope they will be grandfathered in case the rules are changed, but of course there are no guarantees. In Nevada, solar customers really got screwed when the law was changed.

If you have an application that doesn't require storage it might be worth a try, but I can't think of many. Pool pump seems like a good one if you have a pool.
Most of my Kw/h is consumed by the 50 gal. 220V electric water heater. I bought 3ea 330 w. panels hooked them in series. I picked up a 30 gal electric water preheat the incoming water by connecting the heating elements with the solar panels to preheat the water coming into the main water heater. No controller needed. The panels just see a resistive load and they won't care if you short them out. The main water heater seldom goes on. I may even bypass the main water heater. It doesn't touch the grid so $50/mo. solar surcharge. Solar panels are really cheap now.

Last edited by Coop01; 05-24-2016 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindaz View Post
Thanks for the reply. Well my father has solar system, it was no cost for the system or installation. He has a small electric bill each month and then gets paid back some by srp at the end of the year. And no upkeep or maintenance. Any thing that goes wrong is repaired by the company at their cost.

I just want to see what all other options there are out there.
What your dad signed up was letting the solar company free use of his roof top to generate electricity. Your excess generated energy is only paid back either 10-12% of cost they charge you per kwatt. nowhere can generate unlimited energy unless it never rains and never goes to winter. These contracts also puts a lien on your house that if you sold your house you are due whatever the balance left on the panels.

During winter season you generate much less energy so you have to pay to access energy from the grid and the rates will be a lot higher than your sunny seasons.

Unless you buy your own panels, have a battery farm in the backyard to store energy, then you are not off the grid and you have to pay these firms for power.

There's no free lunch.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:23 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What your dad signed up was letting the solar company free use of his roof top to generate electricity. Your excess generated energy is only paid back either 10-12% of cost they charge you per kwatt. nowhere can generate unlimited energy unless it never rains and never goes to winter. These contracts also puts a lien on your house that if you sold your house you are due whatever the balance left on the panels.

During winter season you generate much less energy so you have to pay to access energy from the grid and the rates will be a lot higher than your sunny seasons.

Unless you buy your own panels, have a battery farm in the backyard to store energy, then you are not off the grid and you have to pay these firms for power.

There's no free lunch.

Arizona winter months actually generate more then we use and utility rates are lower in the winter here. Have you ever lived in Phoenix, AZ? We have the highest amount of sun time in the country so Grid tie systems actually do save money here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: