Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times

Advertisements

This past weekend we spent some time looking at apartments in the Phoenix, Glendale and Surprise areas and we noticed a common fee when it came to pets. Each leasing office we spoke with showed us a list of fees expected upon move in and the two most common fees were a pet fee and a pet deposit as well as pet rent. Now I'm totally aware of paying a deposit in case your pet damages the apartment while you occupy it but what the heck is the difference between the fee and deposit? I was told the deposit was refundable but the fee was not. No one could explain exactly what the difference was other than that no matter who I asked. It just seemed like a double charge to me. The pet rent was something I also found ridiculous. How is my cat going to pay their half of the rent if they can't hold down a job? Damn lazy bum just sleeps all day.

Anyone have any insight on these fees and can explain to me what they are?

Old 05-22-2016, 06:22 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Pet deposit is a dollar amount to cover the costs of pet damages. You would get it back assuming your pet doesnt do damage.

Pay $100 deposit, youll get $100 back at move out.

Pet Fee is a dollar amount to allow you to have a pet. You do not get it back.

Pay $25 per pet.

Ive never heard of pet rent. I have dogs and cats myself but have never heard of that.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:23 PM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
I don't know the reason for the animal rent, but asking the question on this web site will give you the answer.
Some of their properties may exclude all animals entirely, or, have limitations on species or size.

Moderator cut: incorrect link

Last edited by yellowbelle; 05-23-2016 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: incorrect link

Old 05-22-2016, 06:34 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
I had an apartment like that in PA once. There was a one-time registration fee, a refundable deposit and an extra 10 or 20 bucks a month on the rent.

I believe that particular complex would replace the carpets after a pet owner moved out.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:40 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
I don't know the reason for the animal rent, but asking the question on this web site will give you the answer.
Some of their properties may exclude all animals entirely, or, have limitations on species or size.
Moderator cut: incorrect link
I think you posted the wrong website link. I found the correct one

Moderator cut: This is still the incorrect link. incorrect link

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-23-2016 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
The pet deposit is usually refundable, the pet fee usually is not and the pet rent is a monthly fee to have a pet on the property.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Pet deposit is refundable. It's purpose is to correct any damage caused by your pet.

Pet fee is NOT refundable. It's supposed purpose is to deep ckean the apartment against dander so that a tenant with allergies can move into it. Particularly common with carpeted apartments.

Pet rent is NOT refundable. It's purpose is to increase the profits of the landlord. (Sorta like the baggage check fee on airlines.)

All are very common. I paid them when I rented in Scottsdale in 1989 and again in Raleigh in 2012.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Consider using an apartment locator service. There are several good ones in the metro and they can help you find complexes that don't charge pet rent. I have pets, I don't mind the pet fee, and I don't even mind a pet deposit per pet. I draw the line at pet rent though. When the complex starts charging child rent, I'll be happy to pay pet rent.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I have never paid pet rent, and I refuse to. I think it is a ridiculous way to milk more money out of a tenant. Keep looking. There are places, and private owners, that do not charge such a thing.

I also came across things such as $200 deposit per pet. No big deal if you have 1, but I have 4 (2 cats, 2 small dogs). When dealing with private owners I found that when I told them what my 4 were (2 dogs that weigh less than 25 pounds combined) they would come way down on the deposit.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
I don't think it's ridiculous. Lots of landlords do not allow pets. Therefore, there is a lower supply of accommodations willing to put up with pets. Why shouldn't they charge more in exchange for offering something many people are not willing to offer?

I know that saying anything against pets falls under the category of "famous last words," but I think we can all agree that pets are not ephemeral creatures. Even the cleanest, best-behaved pet is going to have some impact on a property, just as the number of people living there has an impact no matter how fastidious they are. In other words, I can go into any person's house and find human hair, and if they have a pet, I can find pet hair. It's just how it is, this is an imperfect world and no one can be perfectly clean, unless they're a world class compulsive cleaner and spend hours a day cleaning.

Personally I'm just glad that pets aren't a protected class yet, although the recent trend of people declaring emotional support animals to get around no-pets rules and restrictions shows that things are trending in that direction. Maybe in 20 years it will be illegal to refuse to rent to pet owners. Perhaps that's something pet owners can look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area